How cheap are cd's at the moment?

Gray

Don't get me wrong i love my vinyl but cd's seem ridiculously good value for money at the moment, and have become my primary source at present. Went to a car boot sale today and brought 32 nearly immaculate discs for under £25, and that included one disc at £5 which was a brand new nin SACD, it worked out at 78p a cd 😁🙂
CD is 40 years old this month, apparently.
Remember when they were the luxury purchase?
For quite a while in HMV, it's been vinyl that's the luxury (same album £5.99 / £29.99 I saw).

Reactions: shadders

jvlovesjazz

Apr 21, 2022
Visit site
If you are simply after content, then CDs - even SACDs- are the answer, especially at bargain prices.HOWEVER, if you are seeking incomparable warmth of reproduction IMHO there's still no alternative to vinyl.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Don't get me wrong i love my vinyl but cd's seem ridiculously good value for money at the moment, and have become my primary source at present. Went to a car boot sale today and brought 32 nearly immaculate discs for under £25, and that included one disc at £5 which was a brand new nin SACD, it worked out at 78p a cd 😁🙂
The price of new ones are rising.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Tenner a month you can stream millions of Songs

Which you need to keep paying for with nothing to show for it after the fact.
Not to mention artists can pull there content at any time I’ve come across a number of albums that are partially there or not there at all. Nightmare on wax, Metallica ,swifty to name but a few. There’s pro and cons to both.

I personally hate this rental culture, I have to do it with my adobe/3d design software it drives me nuts! though nothing to do with music but shows exactly what can happen, adobe after 20-25 years are pulling the Pantone colour books from there software, come November I’ll need to pay yet another subscription just get colour books with out it I can’t colour the artwork correctly for print and manufacture. It’s not an insubstantial amount either. If I “owned” the software it’s not somthing they would be able to do, not easily.

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I love a cd. Or a physical format. And especially a 2nd hand car boot/charity shop bargain and was always against streaming but the convenience of listening to millions of albums at the touch of a button is tremendous. I can listen to random fancies at leisure.
I always say it’s like having the keys to a record store for £10 a month. Especially with lossless. I use tidal now and very rarely buy a new cd.

herring8

May 12, 2021
Visit site
I love CDs but players are getting rarer. My car used to be stuffed full of CDs but the current one doesnt have a CD player. A basic CD player at the likes of Richer is now > £300. Ive just had a Technics of mine fail and i've been trying to pick up a replacement on Ebay and the prices are jumping. i still have one Sony player but want another one

Reactions: Gray
I love CDs but players are getting rarer. My car used to be stuffed full of CDs but the current one doesnt have a CD player. A basic CD player at the likes of Richer is now > £300. Ive just had a Technics of mine fail and i've been trying to pick up a replacement on Ebay and the prices are jumping. i still have one Sony player but want another one
There are actually two under £300 on RicherSounds, however if you are prepared to take your chances with a second hand one.......

Reactions: herring8

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that the prices of new CDs have gone up in price at the merchandise stands at live gigs, well at least the handful I've been to recently. I'm not an arena person myself, I much prefer the small local gig, a tenner on the door type of thing. At a recent Eric Gales gig they were asking £20 for his latest CD, which could be had for £9.99 online. Last Saturday night it was £15 for a CD elsewhere at a different gig. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a CD after the show, but above that it's too much for me. Maybe I'm just tight?

At a recent Eric Gales gig they were asking £20 for his latest CD, which could be had for £9.99 online. Last Saturday night it was £15 for a CD elsewhere at a different gig. I don't mind paying about a tenner for a CD after the show, but above that it's too much for me.
You often get milked in situ - I think they are hoping you'll get carried away having seen the show. It's a bit like food/drink prices at motorway services in that you are a captive audience too.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts