How can I...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

Finally went ahead and brought the new hi-fi with many a suggestion and helpful comment from the members on here. (thanks again) Now got to spend the next few weeks twitching my fingers and waiting for it to all arrive.

B&W 685's,

Rotel RA-04,

Atacama Nexus 7 stands filled with atabites,

2x2.5m Chord Carnival Silver Screen cable.

The next step in this then is to sort this out to be used with my sony ps3 + macbook. Im aiming to listen to music off the mac straight from the headphone/line out (i assume)  and for games and blu rays with the ps3.

How can I do this?

Luke. 

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that's the simplest way on the Mac, though you could use an external soundcard, a DAC with a USB connection or even a wireless solution such as the Airport Express.

On the PS3, the simplest way is to use the AV cable supplied to deliver analogue stereo audio to the amplifier, but again there's the potential for using an external DAC fed from the unit's optical digital out.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Yes, that's the simplest way on the Mac, though you could use an external soundcard, a DAC with a USB connection or even a wireless solution such as the Airport Express.

On the PS3, the simplest way is to use the AV cable supplied to deliver analogue stereo audio to the amplifier, but again there's the potential for using an external DAC fed from the unit's optical digital out.

ÿ

Ah ok, this is basically exactly what I was looking for. I know not much at all about DAC's and how they would be connected? Could you shed some light on this for me?

Essentially I would be aiming for the best possible sound from the mac and ps3. So maybe I could buy a DAC that the mac and ps3 would be connected to somehow...then this would be connected also somehow, to the Rotel?

Is this possible whilst using the optical out from the ps3?ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes. A DAC - digital-to-analogue converter - such as the Cambridge Audio DACMagic* will accept a USB connection from the Mac, and an optical digital connection from the PS3, and connects into your amp using a standard pair of analogue phono interconnects.

*Other DACs are available.
emotion-4.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

emotion-4.gif

For the benefit of the OP (unlike most this thread) Andrew is refering to DACs such as the beresford, a usb version of which has recently become available. Maybe google it and email them for more details if you're interested.

Hope that was'nt too sales-y for anyone.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Andrew Everard:

emotion-4.gif

For the benefit of the OP (unlike most this thread) Andrew is refering to DACs such as the beresford, a usb version of which has recently become available. Maybe google it and email them for more details if you're interested.

He means a BeresfDacMagic like this one of mine.

A

Anonymous

chebby:al7478:Andrew Everard:

emotion-4.gif

He means a BeresfDacMagic like this one of mine.

Hi Chebby,

How do you rate (if you've used it anytime) the headphones output of the Ber***** DAC you own? It's an interesting feature as my amp doesn't have any. I'm happy by now with my Onkyo Ipod Dock for the times I want to listen to music and I am so lazy to go and change the CDs. But maybe I'll go the DAC way in the future...

A

Anonymous

After taking a look around im pretty sure im going to go for the Beresford. Looks like a good piece of kit for the money and random user reviews over the web claim it to be as good as the company say? Can anyone on here advise?ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts