Question How can I learn to stop worrying and love the belt drive?

mikegf

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to get a new turntable, either an RP3 or a Technics sl-1500....in my old age I am finding myself increasingly worried about having a belt driven system. As its effectively a rubber band that spins the platter, surely the band will stretch or deform over time? As I have many discs that play at 45, will changing the speed by moving the belt a lot introduce problems?

Or am I over thinking things?

cheers

m

rainsoothe

Certain Pro-ject turntables have the ability to take an external power supply speed change boxes (Speedbox) so you don't have to move belt onto different pulleys and are great alternatives to Rega
Buy sensibly and a drive belt will last for years.
Some rega turntables have that option as well (the P3 - P6 and upwards come bundled with the external supply). Some of the pro-jects have the speedbox built in, which is a plus when it comes to convenience, since you don't have an external box that you have to hold when you push the button, so it doesn't fall off the shelf :p And yes, the Technics is more rugged and hassle free.

P.S.: just realized that what I wrote does absolutely nothing to help the OP :) Sorry.

Reactions: mikegf
Once you have the idea in your head that the OP has nothing can help..... :)
You just have a very limited choice.

I would agree, a direct drive done well, is likely to be less hassle free but I have never had issues with belt stretch but I do replace them every once in a while.
When direct drives go wrong they go very wrong, although this is rare. I am quite happy with belt drives and have only ever owned one direct drive.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've got a belt drive and a DD, neither of them has given me any issues so far.

iMark

I can recommend getting a Pro-Ject with the electronic speed changing option. Or get a Pro-Ject with a separate speed box as an upgrade.

We bought a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort years ago because it has the speed change option.

I remember the days when people wouldn't buy DD record players because they were afraid of motor rumble.

I can recommend getting a Pro-Ject with the electronic speed changing option. Or get a Pro-Ject with a separate speed box as an upgrade.

We bought a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort years ago because it has the speed change option.

I remember the days when people wouldn't buy DD record players because they were afraid of motor rumble.
Motor cogging used to be an issue in early decks

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
As mentioned already you can add the NEO PSU to a P3, I added one about a month ago and it makes life easier, no lifting off the platter to manually move the belt.

daytona600

Rega P8 with cartridge is £2500
Project X1 £750 and has better speed control , 33/45 & MM cartridge & Dust cover

These are very good numbers and especially “well-balanced” in terms of plus and minus speeds. In fact, they are better than the more costly Rega P8
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/pro-jects-899-x1-best-under-1000-turntable-package

matthewpiano

In my experience, having owned several Projects including the 'Classic', Rega build quality is better. They don't look anything special but I find their arms to be significantly better and I've never had any problems with the belt drive on my RP3 other than routine belt replacement from time to time.

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
You need to change belts from time to time. For instance I have just changed the belt on my Garrard 86SB. It probably only lasted about 20 years. It took about 5 minutes and cost a fraction over £6.00 including post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts