How can I improve digital sound in my system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

Vladimir said:
You're powering 85dB ATCs with 18W tube amp. Perhaps they are underpowered for the dynamic swings of digital.

18W/ch amp with ATC don't sound good. Also, for organic and full sound, try the Naim Dac (not Dac V1, but the large one). SH they're a bargain. But that won't change the fact that the ATCs need a lot of power.

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

What software are you using?.

You could try some like JRiver or Audionirvana for example that they offer free trial versions?.

Regards,

O

Beyondadream

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I was mainly interested in Tidal using their own application for Mac.

I think I will ignore digital for now until I can upgrade my amp. Just listen to vinyl and watch amazon prime. Amazon prime via the Dac seems more than OK. Maybe because it is going to the TV via hdmi and out of the TV via optical to the Dac. I thought Usb was supposed to be better?

The main problem with this digital shenanigans is nothing to tweak other than maybe interconnect cable. If the sound is not to my liking tough try another Dac. Vinyl I can adjust the arm or try another cartridge etc. I guess that would annoy some people.

Beyondadream

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that is very odd. Listening to youtube music videos on my pc via B & W P5 headphones is far more enjoyable than listening to mac min / chord dac. youtube audio bitrate is inferior. Find that very weird.

Maybe I can hook the PC up to the amp and compare. Seems quality not equal enjoyment.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Could be an Apple settings problem, if you look on an Apple forum you should find loads of posts about best audio settings, if you are getting reasonable audio on youtube and not from mini mac then I suspect that is where the problem lies. This post also help: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/optimum-mac-mini-audio-settings

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Beyondadream said:
I was mainly interested in Tidal using their own application for Mac.

I think I will ignore digital for now until I can upgrade my amp. Just listen to vinyl and watch amazon prime. Amazon prime via the Dac seems more than OK. Maybe because it is going to the TV via hdmi and out of the TV via optical to the Dac. I thought Usb was supposed to be better?

The main problem with this digital shenanigans is nothing to tweak other than maybe interconnect cable. If the sound is not to my liking tough try another Dac. Vinyl I can adjust the arm or try another cartridge etc. I guess that would annoy some people.

I was unhappy with the USB out from my mac mini and am instead using the optical out. Just in case you dont know the headphone jack on the back is also a mini TOSlink out, I'd try that.

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts