How can i connect and AV Receiver to my wirelsss network

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in the process of purchasing an Av receiver (Yamaha RXV 3900). Is there any way to link this upto my wirless network so i dont have to trail wires fron another room. I read (or possibly dreamt) that you can use something like an apple airport, ideally i would like something discret.

Mark

A

Anonymous

i want to be able to luse the internet radio function and any updates.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
You could use homeplugs to link the receiver to the router via mains or try a wireless bridge (ethernet adaptor) Example

I don't think I could use an amp for streaming etc. as I'm used to the nice clear display on my Squeezebox and selecting the music on an itouch works brilliantly and never fails to impress. I perform updates on my HDDVD using a cable, it doesn't take long so I wouldn't worry about trailing cables for updates but for a long term solution, I would look at the wireless bridge or homeplugs to make your receiver 'wireless'.

A

Anonymous

In your honest opinion do you think this is a pointless excercise. I suppose its not a big deal running the cable through to do the update and i can buy a ipod dock to match the receiver but does the squeezebox hook up to your receiver and does it give access to the radio function. I think in short i want to make this a centre piece and get as much out of it as possible without having let of different components and cost.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about pointless exercise.... Internet radio is fantastic. I'm not that familar with networking receivers and would need to check online manuals to see what exactly they're capable of (inc. file formats) but as I have all my music stored in FLAC (lossless) format, the Squeezebox was the obvious choice. There is a separate forum for these sorts of devices but unfortunately on WHF, posts tend to get spread out in the computer based music forum, mp3 forum and wifi forum!

The Squeezebox/Sonos/Apple Express are all streaming devices and all have their merits. They are an audio source, in the same way that a CD player is. They connect using either analogue cables (using on board DAC) or digital cables (using receiver's DAC) and will give access to various online functions. I'm ecstatic with my Squeezebox, it supports last.fm etc. and is constantly updated so the internet radio feature is always evolving. I've listened to all sorts and the Squeezebox has transformed the way I listen to music. Since getting it, my CDP is almost redundant. As I said, my knowledge of networking receivers is limited, your best bet is to speak to someone who uses the functions and can explain how good it is. I don't think they can match a separate streaming device (remember the Xbox 360 and PS3 can also be used for streaming music but need the TV on, which is a no-no for me) but if you go down this route, do your research on the Sonos and Slimdevices sites (not familiar with Apple but know the streaming side is improving). The price difference between Sonos and Slimdevices isn't as large as it used to be but as I started with a single Squeezebox and PC running Softsqueeze (Squeezebox emulator) for a cheap n' cheerful multi-room setup, I've stuck with it and added another Squeezebox and it works fantastically well.

Visit the various manufacturer's sites and check them out.

John Duncan

Agreed that internet radio is fantastic, but network-enabled receivers seem so much more expensive than netwrok-agnostic ones that the other solutions mentioned above seem much more cost-effective - starting with airport express (though convenience is non-existent, unless you have an iPhone or iPod Touch....)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts