How best to upgrade Sonos Connect?

Spraxy

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I bought into Sonos quite a while ago, and given the launch of S2 and the fact that I have old and new products, I’m looking at how to move things on.

In my living room I have Sonos Connect connected to a Marantz PM66SE Ki Sig amp with Marantz PM63 CD player and Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers. And a Beam connected to a Sony Bravia TV.

I’ve got stereo paired Play 3’s and 2 x Play 1’s around the house too.

I mostly stream from Spotify, play my CD music library stored on iTunes and occasionally put a CD in the tray.

Its looks like I’ve got a few upgrade options from:
- Upgrading Connect to Port and leaving everything else as is
- Upgrading Connect to Port as well as the amp and/or CD player
- Upgrading Connect to Sonos Amp and do away with the Marantz amp

Any thoughts on what would offer the best sound and value improvements?

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar dilemma and ended up buying a Port. I read quite a bit about the amp and - based on other people’s opinion on Internet forums (so not my first hand experienc) - I doubt it would improve your setup.

Despite what the What Hifi review says, I haven’t noticed a reduction in quality in sound from the Port versus the Connect. If you ended up getting a DAC or a new amp with a built in DAC then it wouldn’t be an issue anyway.

It is quite frustrating though, there may be better alternatives on the market but you’ve already invested in other Sonos product.

I decided to get a Sonos One for my living room to replace the Connect which was connected to my AVR, and another Sonos One for one of my bedrooms which originally had a Sonos Connect with powered speakers. It was much cheaper to go that way for me. My main listening is in my master bedroom (Sonos Play:5) and my family room (PlayBar), so didn't mind going for a cheaper alternative.

shane

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
I also had the connect and traded it in for a port i was disappointed to read the negative reviews I myself felt is was a improvement on the connect especially when using a decent cable to connect the port to my amp

Last edited:

Spraxy

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all for the comments. As I look more into this, I find more questions...!

I've started using TIDAL (should have done that ages ago!) so would upgrading the Connect for Port and adding a DAC make a worthwhile difference; and if so any thoughts on a DAC?

Spraxy

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I had a similar dilemma and ended up buying a Port. I read quite a bit about the amp and - based on other people’s opinion on Internet forums (so not my first hand experienc) - I doubt it would improve your setup.

Despite what the What Hifi review says, I haven’t noticed a reduction in quality in sound from the Port versus the Connect. If you ended up getting a DAC or a new amp with a built in DAC then it wouldn’t be an issue anyway.

It is quite frustrating though, there may be better alternatives on the market but you’ve already invested in other Sonos product.

Thanks, what are the better alternatives you're thinking of?

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, what are the better alternatives you're thinking of?

I said ’may be better’. For example if you didn’t already have Sonos products and were looking for a streamer then you might go for:

- Yamaha WXC50 which offers a bit more flexibility for future upgrades (i.e. It could be the hub for a system based around active speakers)

- DIY Raspberry Pi streamer (would save you a lot of money)

- replacing your amp with a model that has a DAC and streamer built in

There are loads of alternative options, I guess it depends how wedded you are to multiroom Sonos.

Spraxy

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I said ’may be better’. For example if you didn’t already have Sonos products and were looking for a streamer then you might go for:

- Yamaha WXC50 which offers a bit more flexibility for future upgrades (i.e. It could be the hub for a system based around active speakers)

- DIY Raspberry Pi streamer (would save you a lot of money)

- replacing your amp with a model that has a DAC and streamer built in

There are loads of alternative options, I guess it depends how wedded you are to multiroom Sonos.
Thanks, it does indeed! And now that my Play3's are on their way to being unsupported, this might the right time to loo at some of those broader options.

And to think I started with just a simple question...! Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts