Question How about using 2 center channels as a stereo pair?

CaptVanTylip

May 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I decided to put it into a new topic but it still concerns my old one (I was choosing speakers for a rack use). I chose Focal Aria 906 on IsoAcoustics. Now an alternative has cropped up. How about using a pair of Dali Opticon Vokal centers as a Hifi pair (I'm not venturing into high-end speaker territory, Arias can be a part of a home theater setup too so I guess a fair comparison), Vokal has 2 tweeters and the height can be even better (all at ear level when on stands). Between the two, what's your choice (the woofer diameter is the same too and ports are on the front as well)? Remember Neat Iota? I'm trying to achieve something similar here. Would it work?

Gray

I've never been into Home Cinema so I stand to be corrected.
My understanding is that when they mix film soundtracks they steer all music away from centre(s) don't they? Centre channels are mainly (exclusively?) for dialogue (The 'Vokal' name is probably for a reason!).
As such, a centre speaker need only be narrowly tuned, making it unsuitable for full range 2 channel audio.
You could possibly confirm that by checking and comparing the quoted frequency responses.
Nice idea but ask yourself why others aren't doing it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Yep a dedicated center channel will be very mid range heavy and tuned very much for clear vocals. Might be what your after though. Making most unsuitable. But there are some that will work. Some are marked LCR. Meaning they can be used any odd how.

In general wouldn’t be my first choice

Reactions: Gray

CaptVanTylip

May 23, 2020
Visit site
I like vocal tracks and voices more than instrumentals (I don't have any 100% instrumental albums at least now at all). But want a good all-rounded response too. Thanks! I just fancied the idea of a 2.5 channel speaker neat iota-style :)

abacus

Most centre channel speakers are designed to be used horizontally with a dispersion pattern to suit the purpose, they do not have any unique frequency response otherwise there would be a mismatch between the 3 front speakers (Hence the reason it is best to keep all 3 from the same manufactures range) so can be used for left/right if you want, but in all honesty are a bit of an overkill in most circumstances.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts