House renovation - what to build in?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all We found out this morning that we still may be able to purchase our dream house. It needs almost total renovation though - new plumbing, rewiring, new plaster boards on walls, decorating etc. Of course I've checked the living room suits my hi fi / HC set up and was wondering what I should have 'built in' as we'll have the opportunity. I'm thinking things like: 1. Speaker cable - hidden in walls / floors - or a conduit so they can be changed? 2. Wiring - can the electrician wire power for my system so as to cause less interference ? Any other suggestions?? cheers Roger

A

Anonymous

Hi RogerWe built 2 years ago and it makes a huge difference having cable in conduit - less interference and better on the eye etc. Make sure that your electrical guy runs each speaker conduit back to your amp location. They are normally used to daisy chaining conduit - if they do this you will struggle to pull the cable through the last one. Normally they use a 20mm, but rather get them to put in 25mm - this will make your life a lot easier.If you are going to do any home cinema get them to run that to, including conduit for rears, projector and a sub all terminating at the back of the amp. Also get them to run power to the projector and sub locations.My sound room has its back to our stair case. I got the builder to make cut-outs in the wall so my kit is "in the openings" in the wall and i can get under the stair case to change cables and fiddle this is very helpful.Also ITO power, if you are going to have a couple of power amps ensure that they provide enough power to the location and that it is not shared with other plugs in the house e.g. a microwave

A

Anonymous

Roger,

Ask the electrician to wire your hifi sockets on there own 4mm ring main back to the distribution board with aseperate additional 4mm earth, this will give you a better 230v supply with less spile and use unswitched sockets. It does make a difference i have done this and it is the best upgrade i have ever done. Mind you i am an electrician so it helps

steve

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="roger06"]What's happened to my message formatting???? I didn't post this as one paragraph ????[/quote]
Roger to seperate paragraphs you have to type "less than symbol followed by slash (the one on the same key as ?) followed by p followed by the greater than symbol"

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"][quote user="roger06"]What's happened to my message formatting???? I didn't post this as one paragraph ????[/quote]
Roger to seperate paragraphs you have to type "less than symbol followed by slash (the one on the same key as ?) followed by p followed by the greater than symbol"[/quote]

Cheers Gwyndy

I'm a web developer so fully fluent in HTML - but you never had to do this before - it would simply translate line breaks... very odd, perhaps someone from WHF can enlighten us!!

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I'd second speaker cables in conduits. 30 odd years ago I moved into a new house, so I laid speaker cables under the floor boards. Recently I upgraded and tried to use the old cables as draw strings. Sods Law, they snagged on the central heating pipes or something.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all...

Offer has now been accepted on the house so it's all systems go...

That's really useful information so I'll save this page to run things past my sparky... I spoke to him today and while he clearly thinks I'm a hifi nerd he thinks it's a good idea - as well as running ethernet cable around the house (as let's face it wi fi ain't all it's cracked up to be).

Roger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts