House music

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Vlad, welcome back by the way!

if I recall correctly you are a house music guru? That right?

If so, can you post some decent playlist links/suggestions? I’m on a house flow currently.

PS- not exclusive question to Vlad, if anyone’s got some sweet recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

D

Deleted member 160668

Something with fatty bass!!!

PS thanks for other suggestion GP will check out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Izhevski & Andrey Pushkarev - Nature Morte

Backyard Sessions Podcast Andrea Martini

Stephan Bodzin Boiler Room Berlin Live Set

Richie Hawtin at Output New York

Spektre - Live at Borderline - MR156

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I literally walked everywhere with 50+ CDs on me at all times. I would spend 10-15min each day before leaving the house to carefully select what music I'll be listening during the day. You kids will never know!

John Aquaviva presents Skills (1998)

Terry Francis ‎presents 'Architecture' (1998)

Josh Wink ‎– Profound Sounds Vol. 1 (1999)

Richie Hawtin - Decks, EFX & 909 (1999)

Deep Dish - Yoshiesque - Disc 1 (1999)

Sasha & John Digweed 'Communicate' - Disc 2 (2000)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
IMG_4299.jpg

D

Deleted member 160668

I remember it well. I did too but not 50 discs!

And anti-shock, which was just arse and didn’t work.

Cheers for suggestions. Will check out whilst cooking roast.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gene Farris ‎- Booked 002 (2001) - This was the more beachy fresh sexy house of the late 90s, that played during the day or early evenings. Still bit more rooted in old-school house with its poppy and singy compositions than its contemporary version. More soft ambient techno elements get incorporated today, more deconstructed sampling. - Example Feeling Happy ' Stay See Summer Mix (2015).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
I presume late 90s house is different to mid/late 80s house...and which one would be classed as “old school”?

The 80's and possibly the early 90's.

After the mid 90's and the influence coming from Detroit (Derick May), Chicago (Plastikman) and London (Mr. C), house fused with techno to form the popular subgenre of tech-house, which had the most exciting music and drug scene of all the house genre, possibly on par with trance but with better looking women. There was tribal influence at some point, some bossa, lots of idiosyncrasies, but the base formula was tech-house, much harder and faster energy than old-skool house that came out of the inner city gay disco club scene. You didn't come out looking and smelling fabulous after a tech-house party ending at 8am.

Try the Andrea Martini podcast I linked, I think you'll like it. Currently relistening it via my 1995 production AKG K280 Parabolic. Headphones with line array drivers (2+2), a mini scale of a concert PA system. They go very very loud with pounding bass and little distortion. A sign of times to come.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
And now the 90s house sound is popular again! See here: Bicep mix

If you like bassy house: Zinc - May 2018 mix

Craig Richards is always good: Craig Richards - Sonar 2017

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Sonar produced some of my personal fav live mixes. Old Aphex Twin and Luke Vibert bootlegs from Sonar were epic. I still have some stuff recorded on old cassettes from Energy FM, London Pirate radio station, Frequency FM, Kiss FM, unknown DJ gigs... Sound quality is really poor, otherwise I'd digitize them for Soundcloud.

I forgot to mention, before the discman, I used a walkman and carried arround a bunch of cassettes everywhere with me. I bought Firestarter on cassette. Feck I'm old!

Prodigy-Firestarter-Tape-Cassette-Single.jpg

Thx Joe, I'm already enjoying Bicep's Synthol. Has some 90's synthy bits at the begining.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Everyone who buys their children gaming PCs or Playstation, Xboxes etc. need to be beaten with a stick and sent to prison labor camps.

Buy a pair of turntables! This guy knows.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Would love to hear some of those tapes... But I know what you mean - I digitized a few of my old rave tape packs and was staggered at how bad they sounded :-(

D

Deleted member 160668

Plenty of stuff for me to check out. Nice one.

Ps - saw Bicep live recently. They were great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts