Hot to the touch

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have just come to the end of a two hour Loud/Very Loud listening session and the 'bullet' ceter of the mid driver on my GS60's is hot to the touch, almost uncomfortable to touch.

It's not as hot as the amp but should it get that hot?

Thanks.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I would think that it is designed to take the heat away from the voice coil, but i wouldn't think its too good to get hot.

You must have been playing loud :rockout:
I melted the voice coils on a pair of speakers before doing exactly the same thing, so you might want to be careful.

I haven't experience with that particular speaker, so somebody else might know better, but i'd be careful until you get a definitive answer.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
That will be the problem i'd say. I had a Krell Kav300i(150w/ch) and it cooked a pair of 150watt PMC DB1i's, so you definitely have the power there to do damage your speakers.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't take much "wattage" to heat a small object. Even some small mains powered soldering irons are only 18 watts and think how hot that gets. Think how hot a small filament bulb gets... it's all the same.

I would say it's perfectly normal if you had an extended listening session at high volume. A lot of energy is in the upper bass/mid range and 99.7% or so goes as heat in the voice coil.

And forgeting your speakers for a moment... it's your ears might begin to regret it later on.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL said:
That will be the problem i'd say. I had a Krell Kav300i(150w/ch) and it cooked a pair of 150watt PMC DB1i's, so you definitely have the power there to do damage your speakers.

I wouldn't worry. An underpowered, clipping amplifier can do damage much more easily.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts