horrible airport express sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I have some inkling of your pain, because I've been fighting with repeated drop-outs on my AEs for months now. The RS guy is actually giving you some pretty well reasoned 'best guess' advice, but unfortunately I don't think it's correct. Because of my issues I've been playing around in Airport Utility rather a lot and I'm pretty sure there is no setting to adjust the digital output format.

PCM stands for pulse code modulation - basically the normal format of digital audio data, such as you would find stored on a CD. The RS guys is guessing that the AE is outputting a format that your CDP's DAC can't handle (i.e. Dolby Digital, MP3 or something like that).

I think that the whole way that Apple does things, to maximise ergonomics ease of use and interoperability (despite being rather undermined when issues like these are experienced!) would seem to suggest that they would just offer the standard universally-accepted digital format output, rather than make it a setting that the end user would have to know to (and know how to) adjust.

If someone else knows different then please correct me.

Using the AE in my lounge, connected to my Naim Supernait (integrated amp, built-in DAC) I get a 'blip' when I begin playback - i know it's not the same as the interference I referred to, because it happens every single time I begin playback. The AE is fine going in to other DACs (used to have a DAC Magic in fact) and other digital sources are fine going into the Naim, so I've concluded that it's just a peculiarity of those particular 2 devices working together - maybe you have the same issue, and I hate to say it, but if you have proven the correct functioning of both devices with other kit, the respective manufacturers are each likely to point the finger at each other's product.

Sorry I haven't read all of this thread, so ignore these if you've tried them all already:

- Have you tried restoring the AE to the factory settings

- Checking for software updates

- Using a different optical cable

- Tried changing the 3.5mm optical adaptor if you're using one (as you might not have tried this with other kit you've tried and it could be faulty/damaged)

- Is your AE set to create, join or extend the wireless network? if it's not your main wireless bridge then set it just to 'join' (long-shot but thinking maybe interference with your system)

I've decided to be done with it, and get a Sonos!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much for the response Dan, I had a read of you trials and tribulations in hope it might help me, its horrible when you just cant get something which should make things better just don't work. I am starting to think it may be a compatibility issue as you say. I have tried all of your suggestions apart from restoring the AE to factory settings, will give it a try but don't think it will help.
Just seems strange to me that the DAC magic seems to work with the AE but this doesn't, I thought the 740 had the same DAC as the DAC magic.
A Sonos would be the ideal but don't really have the cash spare. I said to myself at the beginning of trying to stream music that I would not spend that much money on it until I could use Spotify through it or I upgraded to some AVI adm 9.1s(getting married in a month so that's not going to happen for a while....). At least it works via RCA so I can still have Spotify through my Hifi (which I love) for the time being. Hope the Sonos works works for you!

A

Anonymous

Ah ha! I've found this thread via a forum search from my original thread, thanks to Dan Turner! I have exactly the same problem, and guess what, exactly the same set up. CA 740A and 740C, airfoil, airport express. I've got that sinking feeling!!

Having read this entire thread, it looks like some strange incompatability problem between this system as the OP never solved the problem. Bit of a downer as I can hear the optical out is definately sweeter than the analogue, though it is decent enough. Did you ever solve the problem Bay24? I hope so, otherwise its a new DAC to get it to work. NOOO haha!

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Cidershed:
Ah ha! I've found this thread via a forum search from my original thread, thanks to Dan Turner! I have exactly the same problem, and guess what, exactly the same set up. CA 740A and 740C, airfoil, airport express. I've got that sinking feeling!!

Having read this entire thread, it looks like some strange incompatability problem between this system as the OP never solved the problem. Bit of a downer as I can hear the optical out is definately sweeter than the analogue, though it is decent enough. Did you ever solve the problem Bay24? I hope so, otherwise its a new DAC to get it to work. NOOO haha!

This is a bit spooky! I was just coming back to this thread as I have got an update and wanted to share the news!
It is a compatability problem between the AE and the 740C which was described to me by a very helpful person at CA:

"Basically, the Airport does not output a smooth SPDIF clocking. Every now and then, the Airport will sporadically adjust its output clock to track the desired sampling rate.
These adjustments are very sudden and are the cause of the noises reported.

This is not something which could have been foreseen as it is an apparent 'quirk' of the optical output from the Airport Express and not due to the 740C."

I must admit I have no idea what this means but the good news is that Cambridge audio can fix it!! I got mine back yesterday and it seems to be working fine, and yes it does sound much better than using RCA!!

E-mail the customer care department and they should be able to sort it for you, they gave me the option to take it to a store to be sent to them but I work close to the CA office (which I didn't know!) so I took it to them and it was ready for pick up the next day!

A

Anonymous

Hi. I've just had my firmware updated by RS in Bristol, and it now works through optical with iTunes but airfoil still makes the horrible metallic sound, though less than before. Hmmm. Airfoil claim its an issue with AE (well they would wouldn't they) but since it works fine with iTunes it looks like an airfoil problem to me. Shame, means I can't hear spotify through airtunes through the optical out.

Do others have any experience of this, or is it a case of waiting for airfoil to fix the bug? Are there any alternatives to airfoil out there?

TRENDING THREADS