Home Theatre Setup Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to complete a home theatre/hi-fi setup. I have the following so far:

Panasonic Vierra TX-P42V10 LCD TV

Panasonic BD85 Blu-Ray Player

I still have to decide on amplifier(s) and speaker systems. Surround sound film performance and CD playback are equally important to me. I have two trains of thought at the moment and would appreciate some advice:

Option 1

Purchase a theatre amp and speaker system that will handle both 5.1 theatre (Blu-ray/DVD’s) and 2.1 music (CD’s)

Option 2

Purchase a smaller and cheaper theatre amp and speaker system to handle 5.1 theatre (Blu-ray/DVD’s)

Purchase hi-fi separates and 2.1 speaker system for CD’s

Obviously Option 1 is the better in terms of number of “black boxes”, speakers and cables. However, CD playback is very important to me, so a system that is great for theatre but a compromise for music does not appeal. As ever, money is also a factor. My initial system thoughts for these options are:

Option 1

Denon AVR-1910 AV Receiver (or either Denon AVR-2310/3310 if finances allow)

B&W MT-25 Theatre package (or either B&W MT-30/B&W 685 Theatre packages, if finances allow)

Option 2

Denon AVR-1910 AV Receiver

Q-Accoustics 2000 Theatre package

Hi-fi to be decided later for CD playback

My question is, would option 1 give me the all-round experience I desire, with very good theatre and CD performance? Or should I go for option 2 that will no doubt give a satisfying movie experience, then use the money saved to buy a dedicated hi-fi system, probably at a later time when I will have saved more money to put towards it. I realise questions like these are always subjective but your opinions would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I should have added some numbers to the post. My budget just now is around £1000 - £1800 if I buy everything now, £2500 in a couple of months time. More than that will require the casting vote of my wife!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me lots of looks & no replies. So in your case i would go for your option 2 as you enjoy your music, as the dedicated amp for it would, in most cases, if not all would work better than an A/V amp for reproduction.

Personally im happy with my setup, i tend to watch more films than listen to music of any description on cd. Music cd's tend to sound good enough for my listening pleasure on my system, when i do play them, usually it's background music.

Regards..

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
i use an av amp for all and i'm satisfied. if i made any improvement it would be to add some larger speakers for CD playback as my KEFs are a little light in the bass, in my opinion, larger speakers would be better suited than using the KEFs and sub.

audition some av amps with some of your own music - you could be pleasantly surprised and save yourself some money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts