Home Thaetre vs 5.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a UK citizen residing in India. I wish to find a set up appropriate for my needs. I am unsure which of the following is best. I have a choice between Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ (Home Theatre) and Logitech Z5500 Digital (5.1). I would be mostly playing MP3 audio but also some DVD movies as well. I would be playing this media through a Philips DVP5 106K with coaxial output (as well as 5.1). There's no point getting an amp as they're damn expensive and I can't play thje stuff too loud anyway (100w is fine). I do like quality reproduction though.

Wharfedale are the better make but the Logitech is Dolby Digital, DTS and THX certified.

Also, what's the difference between Home Theatre and 5.1? Home Theatre sounds like Hampstead whilst 5.1 sounds like Hackney (if you're lucky!). Sorry if this is a DUH! question

In the UK I had a double stereo set up with 4 speakers and wish to replicate something similar here but am a little unsure of the difference between a set up with 4 tweeters and bass bins in 4 corners to one which is effectively 4 tweeters in 4 corners and a bass bin in one location (centre-side?).

Can anyone help?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="kuddliohm"]

I have a choice between Wharfedale MovieStar 70+ (Home Theatre) and Logitech Z5500 Digital (5.1). I would be mostly playing MP3 audio but also some DVD movies as well. I would be playing this media through a Philips DVP5 106K with coaxial output (as well as 5.1). There's no point getting an amp as they're damn expensive and I can't play thje stuff too loud anyway (100w is fine). I do like quality reproduction though.

Wharfedale are the better make but the Logitech is Dolby Digital, DTS and THX certified.

[/quote]

The Wharfedale is simply a speaker system, and will need an AV amp or receiver between it and the Philips in order to function, while the Logitech is a complete amp/speaker package. I'm sure the Wharfedale will give a better sound with a suitable amp - we'd suggest entry-level Denon or Sony amps as a good match, but I'm not too sure what's available/current on the Indian market. Our colleagues on WHFSV India would probably be a better source of local advice - you could try mailing them here - but I'd think a receiver such as the Sony STR-DG510 , which sells in the UK for under £200, would be a good start.

[quote user="kuddliohm"]

Also, what's the difference between Home Theatre and 5.1? Home Theatre
sounds like Hampstead whilst 5.1 sounds like Hackney (if you're
lucky!). Sorry if this is a DUH! question[/quote]

Not at all DUH! Home theatre and home cinema are interchangeable terms describing a high-quality screen and surround sound at home - the former is an Americanism and the latter the British English equivalent. You say elevator and I say lift...

5.1 simply describes the surround set-up of speakers - five main speakers, usually each comprising a two-way (tweeter and mid/bass) combination, plus the .1, which is the subwoofer. The usual speaker layout is left/centre /right in front of you, plus left and right surrounds and the subwoofer at the front but off to one side.

There are also 6.1 and 7.1 systems, which add rear surround speakers (either one or two) directly behind the listener. These can be fed by an amplifier designed to synthesise some surround 'fill' into them, or convey directly soundtracks encoded with an extra rear effects channel, as is the case in Dolby Digital ES or DTS-ES soundtracks.

For most newcomers, the 5.1 system will be more than good enough for starters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts