Home demo query

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
I am about to dive back into the world of hifi audio after many many years away.

My question is this. Reading several posts I regularly come across a phrase similar to " I didn't get on with them at home so returned the speakers/amp/..."

So how does this work? Do you have a friendly local hifi dealer who just lends out the kit, or are you buying it online and relying on distance selling rules to send it back if you don't like it?

I am based in the UK and looking for an all-in-one music streamer and speakers. Budget up to £3500 but preferably much less!

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

I am about to dive back into the world of hifi audio after many many years away.

My question is this. Reading several posts I regularly come across a phrase similar to " I didn't get on with them at home so returned the speakers/amp/..."

So how does this work? Do you have a friendly local hifi dealer who just lends out the kit, or are you buying it online and relying on distance selling rules to send it back if you don't like it?

I am based in the UK and looking for an all-in-one music streamer and speakers. Budget up to £3500 but preferably much less!

Hiya

Try and find a dealer that has the best choice of brands. Once a rapport is built they'll generally let you have a home demo with either a deposit or they might charge you the full amount with the option of a 14-day returns....

I've been dealing with one or two dealers for so many years they'll let me blag a home demo without charging a penny.

This is why it's best to shop demo first & find a component that's best sounding and politely ask for a home demo.

Each dealer will offer different methods for home demos.

Hope that helps

jjbomber

Marantz Model 40n
Acoustic Energy AE309.

Start with that. If you can find something else where you prefer the sound, then that's your answer.

It's a bit like asking us what haircut is best. We can only tell you what suits us, but you have to find what suits you.

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Marantz Model 40n
Acoustic Energy AE309.

Start with that. If you can find something else where you prefer the sound, then that's your answer.

It's a bit like asking us what haircut is best. We can only tell you what suits us, but you have to find what suits you.

Thanks my friend

I totally get that - my query was more about getting a home demo. My budget was put in as an afterthought, just to prove I wasn't after anything cheap and cheerful!

:)

As already mentioned, each dealer typically has their own approach.

My local-ish dealer, Paul Green in Bath, almost insisted I demo speakers at home. And he lends out shop items accordingly. Then if you decide, he buys you in factory fresh stock. But obviously you’re not going to get a discount with that level of service.

One I haven’t used, but carries a huge stock is Peter Tyson. They sell returned items at a hefty reduction, and give you 30 days trial. Others, like Richer Sounds, seem content to allow you to swap items that don’t suit. Some independent manufacturers, like NVA, offer 30 days return and sell direct.

Some customers seem to rely on the Distance Selling Regs to trial items at home, when buying online. However, when I last looked at these there was a condition about goods being returned as supplied, and most of us can tell if something is factory fresh or not. The legislation is intended to permit buyers remorse, but not home demos for two weeks - that’s my view!

Another option, if you’re braver, is to buy carefully from eBay, and resell if you don’t like it. I’ve done that twice with popular speakers under £1000 a pair. Both times I got my money back, even after allowing for postage and fees. That was for fun, rather than because I was trying to find a long-term item, however.

As you’re a ‘returner’, I’d strongly suggest the legwork, train trips or drive to a few dealers, mainly to hear and see the variety on offer. Even with a tape measure and good photos, there’s nothing like seeing stuff with your own eyes, twiddling the knobs, and hearing it in action.

Richardhall

Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
As already mentioned, each dealer typically has their own approach.

My local-ish dealer, Paul Green in Bath, almost insisted I demo speakers at home. And he lends out shop items accordingly. Then if you decide, he buys you in factory fresh stock. But obviously you’re not going to get a discount with that level of service.

One I haven’t used, but carries a huge stock is Peter Tyson. They sell returned items at a hefty reduction, and give you 30 days trial. Others, like Richer Sounds, seem content to allow you to swap items that don’t suit. Some independent manufacturers, like NVA, offer 30 days return and sell direct.

Some customers seem to rely on the Distance Selling Regs to trial items at home, when buying online. However, when I last looked at these there was a condition about goods being returned as supplied, and most of us can tell if something is factory fresh or not. The legislation is intended to permit buyers remorse, but not home demos for two weeks - that’s my view!

Another option, if you’re braver, is to buy carefully from eBay, and resell if you don’t like it. I’ve done that twice with popular speakers under £1000 a pair. Both times I got my money back, even after allowing for postage and fees. That was for fun, rather than because I was trying to find a long-term item, however.

As you’re a ‘returner’, I’d strongly suggest the legwork, train trips or drive to a few dealers, mainly to hear and see the variety on offer. Even with a tape measure and good photos, there’s nothing like seeing stuff with your own eyes, twiddling the knobs, and hearing it in action.

Thank you

Thats exactly the information I needed

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts