Home Demo Dynaudio Excite X12

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Super-fi do not offer a returns policy, they would not let me take home the display R100s to try even If i paid for them.

Horrible shop and the staff looked at me gone out when I tried explaining speakers will sound different at home doh!

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Audio T, I have used their Brentwood and Camberley branches and the guys were always friendly and home demo was normally no problem. They also do a decent amount of clearance stuff and summer sales too.

They also used to give a decent PX on old gear., though not so keen on discounting gear, I have alos used Sevenoaks in Guldford, really snobby and not helpful but the Witham branch was more friendly and gave me a discount on some AV gear.

Tommo

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
+1 for Audio T, I have used their Brentwood and Camberley branches and the guys were always friendly and home demo was normally no problem. They also do a decent amount of clearance stuff and summer sales too.

They also used to give a decent PX on old gear., though not so keen on discounting gear, I have alos used Sevenoaks in Guldford, really snobby and not helpful but the Witham branch was more friendly and gave me a discount on some AV gear.

Tommo

Long way for a home demo, Brentwood to Lincoln is about 140 miles each way.

I agree about 7oaks Witham, friendly but demo room not much good.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The KEF R100 were only an after thought as they were going cheap!

The discounted Neat Motive 3 that I saw have been sold!

So my shortlist is still

Rega RS3

Dyn Excite X12

KEF R100

I love the Dyns and Rega but have yet to demo the Rega RS3 at home, not heard the KEF yet, but I have heard the KEF Q100 - wasnt really taken by them!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Got Cymbiosis in Leciester - I got my Rega Brio R/DAC from there - nice chaps and they WILL let me borrow their demo speakers for a few days!

They are a KEF & Rega dealer so looks likely I willl get some speakers on home demo - long process this!

stevebrock said:
Got Cymbiosis in Leciester - I got my Rega Brio R/DAC from there - nice chaps and they WILL let me borrow their demo speakers for a few days!

They are a KEF & Rega dealer so looks likely I willl get some speakers on home demo - long process this!

Certainly is a long precess. The chase is more exciting than the kill (sorry for using a fox hunting term).

Shame you can't make it a local Audio-T because they also stock Totem Rainmakers. Should have more welly than the Dreamcatchers.

Still go with my initial gut feeling: Rega RS3s. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Still go with my initial gut feeling: Rega RS3s.
smile.png

I am in denial yes!

The intial euphoria of the Dyns is wearing off - yes they are lovely sounding but can I live with them full time? I dont know!

I think I am just used to the Rega sound and synergy!

I know this should not matter......BUT the Rega RS3 are imho the most pleasing to the eye, think its because they are a floorstander and quite compact and look so neat without big metal stands! I think they look mint with the front grilles off!

I plugged my RS1 back in tonight.......guess what I just love them and I really think the RS3 is what I should get!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I have been on my journey for a year now!

I always dismissd Rega - purely on looks, it looks quirky doesnt it? The software in the CD players is quirky! I knew the Rega hardware was good but I never entertained it!

Was always told Rega speakers & cartridges were naff and they weren't this...and weren't that!

Your probably thinking why have I got a Rega system? Well I have one because it presents music to me in a way that I love, no it isnt the most analytical like Cyrus or Naim - it just gets on with its business - MUSIC and that is all I am interested in.

I have been off work all week, My RP6 has been spinning everday - it simply is exactly what I love about music - music presented in a way that gives me satisfaction and a big grin on my face!

I should put myself out of my misery and *** to Cymbiosis and order some Piano Gloss Black RS3 to match my Rega VOX

Good times!
smiley-laughing.gif

stevebrock said:
Well I have been on my journey for a year now!

I always dismissd Rega - purely on looks, it looks quirky doesnt it? The software in the CD players is quirky! I knew the Rega hardware was good but I never entertained it!

Was always told Rega speakers & cartridges were naff and they weren't this...and weren't that!

Your probably thinking why have I got a Rega system? Well I have one because it presents music to me in a way that I love, no it isnt the most analytical like Cyrus or Naim - it just gets on with its business - MUSIC and that is all I am interested in.

I have been off work all week, My RP6 has been spinning everday - it simply is exactly what I love about music - music presented in a way that gives me satisfaction and a big grin on my face!

I should put myself out of my misery and *** to Cymbiosis and order some Piano Gloss Black RS3 to match my Rega VOX

Good times!
smiley-laughing.gif

Seems like a done deal: Brio-R, Apollo-R, Dac, upgraded TT to RP6 and.... RS3? daft no to. Full house. :bounce:

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Speakers will always give you the biggest change because of the huge tonal differences between them, therefore I would steer well clear of buying blind.

That said,the R100s sound wonderfully clear and give a massive soundstage due to their trick tweeter. I find mine work best about 40cm from the back wall and do not suffer from the slight bass bloom I first encountered with them. £540 is not a bad price but I am sure you can pick them up for less than that. I got mine for £500 when they were relatively new last year. And they look sweet in gloss black!

Happy listening...

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Steve! - get the RS3's at home on demo to be sure.

I was looking to upgrade at the begining of 2012 (although I ended up buying HC gear instead) and demoed the RS3's and Tannoy DC6T's at home.

My son 'hit the nail on the head' - he said 'the DC6T's make me want to dance and party, but the Regas make you want to listen to music'. And my wife thought they looked lovely too!

I'm following what you do with interest :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why I am fannying about - I demoed the RS3 through a Rega Brio R & DAC at Moorgate Acoustics while I was waiting for my cart to be fitted. Took my MacBook Pro along and was going through iTunes playing ALAC into the Rega DAC and they sounding fantastic - I nearly pulled the trigger then.

I was just taking some advice from you guys on here about trying the Dyns & KEF - got the Dyns at home now.

I love the look of the RS3 - I think they look stunning in Gloss black with the front grilles off - but not in your face stunning if you know what I mean

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I found the X12s to be a bit irritating with the Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp, the treble was forward, after 20 mins I could not take it anymore. If I were you I would have a session with some of your brighter sounding cds and see how you enjoy it.

But sometimes it takes a while to get used to a different sound.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
I found the X12s to be a bit irritating with the Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp, the treble was forward, after 20 mins I could not take it anymore. If I were you I would have a session with some of your brighter sounding cds and see how you enjoy it.

But sometimes it takes a while to get used to a different sound.

With the Brio R being quite neutral, I too am finding them a little forward too, like I said above not sure I could live with them TBH, I am taking them back today.

Get the RS3 & R100 at the weekend on home demo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts