Home Cinema Upgrade Advice

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I currently have an all in one home cinema package(sony dav dz5000) which I bought about 3 years ago. Since I changed my television to a panasonic 42px60 and skyhd I have never been happy with the system - especially through Sky. I am thinking of building a separates system on a budget of £500 to £600 but was wondering if I would see a massive difference.

Considering a Denon 1909 - down to £299 at Richer Sounds, Onkyo 606 or Sony 2400 with the Jamo A102 speaker package (I am assuming I can not use my existing speakers ?). I will be using a PS3 for DVD's and Blu-Ray.

I like the look of the Q Accoustics 1010i but this would smash the budget.

It will be mainly used for movies and general tv viewing.

Any views would be welcome - sorry if I am waffling, but it is my first post.

A

Anonymous

General TV viewing is never going to be out of this world on anything. If all the connections (Digital Audio outputs from sky) are optimal try changing the speakers first. The Kef option may not be to disimilar to what you already have. The wharfedale speaker package could be all you need for now.

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
The current system has no optical input/outputs - would this make a difference ?

How would the speaker package mentioned fit into current system ?

thanks

A

Anonymous

clle:Wondering if an up to date all in one system with the above connections make a massive difference to my current set up ?

ÿ

I have the same TV and Sky HD - you haven't specificed whether yours in HD or not.

I think a nice AVR such as the Denon (also consider the Yamaha 763, £299 at Richer Sounds currently) and a nice speaker set would make a pretty noticeable difference to the sound you get, and would also be ready for aÿseparateÿupgraded BluRay player in due course.ÿ

Best thing is to take a favourite DVD with you to a local Home Cinema shop and demo a fewÿpiecesÿto hear what they sound like.ÿÿ

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The OP has stated SKYHD in the first post.

Using the optical out from your SKYHD is the only way to get DD from SKYHD box. Any other connection will give Dolby Pro-logic at best.

*** to your local Sony dealer and arrange to demo a newer HTIAB system with optical inputs - take a selection of your favourite DVD's with you to compare with your current set up.

A separates system will give you more flexibility for future upgrades but isn't a case of throwing a set of speakers together with an amp together with cables etc. - a degree of system matching needs to be done. A great starting point would be the review section of this site to see if anything there takes your fancy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Richer Sounds are selling KEF 2005.2 for £199 - I know this is an old model but would they be a better speaker option then the JAMO A102

Thanks

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately no 2005.2 left.

I have now started to look round and it looks like I may be able to increase budget to around £700.

The better half has issues with small speakers on thin stands (wall mountable not an option) as she thinks they look naff - anybody have any suggestions ?

I have seen the Denon 1909 (again wife thought was ugly) and Onkyo 606 amps, but have received conflicting advice on what to spend on amp and speakers - Richer Sounds suggested 2/3 on amp and 1/3 speakers whilst another retailer stated to get any benefits from the above amps I would need to spend £1500 on speakers ???

Any suggestions would be appreciated - would I benefit from downgrading the amp to something like a sony 820 and spending the difference on a better speaker system ?

Many Thanks

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to add - is it possible to buy the amp and utilise existing speakers and sub from the all in the one system - if yes would I see any improvements ?

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I spoke to Lintone Audio - Newcastle branch today who said that I could buy an amp, utilise existing speakers & sub and see improvement although not as good as new speakers. They said I could do a home test if required.

Any thoughts on the above. I was also wondering whether it was worth buying amp, plus front, and centre speakers only and utilising existing rears and sub and gain some benefits. I would then over time replace rears and sub.

If yes , any suggestions in the £600 to £700 price range.

Thanks

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
to keep costs down would there be a great deal of difference in quality between the sony strdg 820, denon 1909 or onkyo 606. Would any of these amps work well with the q acoustic 1010i system.

Thanks

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I am now looking to increase the budget to around £800. I am comfortable with the amp (denon 1909 or onkyo 606) at around £300 to £330. Now need to match up a speaker package. Q acoustic 1010i is not an option because the amp plus centre speaker would not fit into the built in tv cabinet (plus the wife not impressed by the look of them !!!!).

I have seen the Teufel S Concept series at £499.00 (the wife impressed by the look !) and was wondering if anybody has any experience of this speaker package - or any other options.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I recently upgraded my Mordaunt Short Alumni speakers. For the money they sounded great with the Onkyo605 and look good too. I upgraded to a set of KEF 3005se and pio lx51 which are well over your budget.

A

Anonymous

If you're still thinking of a HTIAB, a couple of friends have the Sony DAV-IS10 system and they're well chuffed with it. Or there's the Sony HT-SF1300, looks good.

clle

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that. I have listened to the IS10 and I think my room my be too big (19ft by 13.5) ? plus would the 2 options above be much better than what I already have ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts