Home Cinema to compliment a Samsung PS-50Q7HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help please!!

I have a lovely big (8m x 4.3m) lounge and have always wanted a gorgeous big telly and fantastic surround sound system in it. I have recently followed the reviews in What HI*Fi? and have bought the PS-50Q7HD.

I now want to get a upscaling DVD and speaker package to get the best out of it, without going nuts on the cash front. I am a normal guy who has no real knowledge of technical jargon etc., so I will need to be spoon-fed the recommendations and any tips I get

I have considered the PhilipsHTS9800W system which I have seen for around £570-600 and it seems to get good reviews. I have also considered a Denon DVD-1930/Sony STR-DA1200ES/Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP set up. And, to confuse me even more, I have read about these sound projectors (Sony RHT-G800 Denon DFT-FS3 and Philips HTS8100) and noticed the YamahaYSP-1100 gets a great review.

I need professional advice soon or I may end up needing professional help!! I am very very open to suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,

Rossi

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi Rossi,

If you want a fantastic surround system, you'll get the best performance-per-pound from the separates set-up - the Denon, Sony and Wharfedale combo (though we'd suggest switching the latter in favour of the Q Acoustics 5.1 set-up, unless you've got a much better deal lined up with the Diamonds).

If you want all-in-one, the Philips remains an excellent package, though there's a cracking Sony coming up in next week's issue you may want to check out (along with a Samsung system that could fit with your TV very well).

As for the sound projectors - they're very much a compromise solution. Yes, the Yamaha YSP-1100 (£900) works incredibly well, but either the Philips or (especially) the separates system would floor it for performance. Sound bars only really come into their own when you really have neither the room or the partner-approval for a true surround system.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Heard some good things about the new Samsung HT-TXQ120R, which is nominally £900 but can be found for getting on for £200 less with minimal Googlage

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew and thank you!

For £200.... are you sure??? I did look at the HT-XQ100R system a few weeks back, but cannot see it now!

Where, for £200 (if you can say).... phew!

Rossi

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare and thank you for the very speedy response!

I can get the Q Acoustics 5.1(1010) for aroung £450-449 and the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP for £350. Whic wiuld be best or best value!

Rossi

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Do you know what the very best would be (and I know this, because we tried it!)? The Q Acoustics satellites with the Wharfedale subwoofer. See if your dealer will price that up....

Failing that, i'd pick the Qs - worth the extra.

A

Anonymous

I realise this system maybe reviewed in the forthcoming mag but just how good is it? Gave it a brief audition in John Lewis but its difficult to tell. Any insider info gratefully received..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think Andrew was providing that very thing.....

There's a full review in the issue out next Thursday (may be in some shops Tues/Wed); subscriber copies got posted out today, so if you are/know a subscriber, you could be reading it as early as tomorrow!

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare and thank you for the advice!

I am almost going for the package you suggested slightly amended:-

Denon 1940

Sony STR-DA1200ES

Acoustics centre speaker and 2 pair of satellites

Wharfedale subwoofer ................ now, I can get the 150W ..... or 250W subwoofer for about £50 more............ wadda ya think??

Rossi

A

Anonymous

Hi Rossi,

I'm in an almost identical situation to yourself. I bought the Samsung PS50Q97HDX and I'm upgrading my old home cinema. I've decided on the Toshiba HD-XE1 HDDVD (whathifi recommendation) and was going for the same Sony amp/receiver as you but the Onkyo TXSR605 seems to be a better buy even if it is £100 more but I think worth it. If you google it you can find it slightly cheaper but I found one at £399 with free 3 years warranty (peace of mind). I'm staying with my old Mordaunt Short speakers for now and will probably upgrade at a later stage.

Don't forget to upgrade your cabling from the factory ones supplied in the boxes!

Regards

A

Anonymous

Hi and thanks,

I will check those items out, but will need to decide soon!!

Rossi

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone.

I could do with some help aswell. i think im going to go with the ONKYO TXSR605E aswell but dont havea clue when it comes to speakers.

SHould i get the q series 1010 for front and back? or just as back? Im a quick learner but this is all new to me lol.

Im in a small house with a young chile of 17 months and I want the best thing possible really.

ANy help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jonny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts