Home Cinema/stereo music choice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
tommytom said:
Native_bon said:
The AVR 750 is a very good amp weather it will be to your taste I cannot tell you for sure. Naim amps have got their own distinctive sound. Am not really a fan of Naim sound, but others will tell you their amps are very good as far as musicality is concerned.

Roger that thanks.

I know this is a tiny little thing, but I have i have copies of all my music as mp3 and Apple lossless where they're CD rips. Just noticed that the Arcam can't play ALAC... I know you can't have everything... but... £4,000.... really... come on... and yes I know there are a bunch of programs that will transcode my ALAC to FLACs... but still... reallly Arcam... ??

OK...

Yeah I've read all about the rail switching amp, and every review I read seems to talk about how the 'power' amp bit of the 750 is very good, but other than that, it's identical to the 450, so here we are again...you picked the 450 because the sound was 'just about' the same to paraphrase...
Yes I did pick the 450 cause I thought it was close enough to the 750 & also save me 1.8k. If I had the money yes I would have gone for the 750... there you go. I do understand your piont of not being able to play certain files on the Arcams, but I bought it for music & movies. I like music, also like movies alot so having a Oppo 105 which plays almost everything the Arcam was the right choice. Its all about choice I think. I believe most fo the extra functions most only use for first few weeks then all is forgotten & music & movies becomes the main functions used on the system.

Like I said try & get a demo & hear what you think you may well forget about the Extras. But I do understand your piont of not much functions for 4k.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tommytom said:
How do you think the Arcams compare to dedicated stereo pre/pro like a Naim for music?

While you wait for N_b to reply, I will give you my opinion (FWIW. I fully agree with what N_b has said so far).

Earlier in the thread I mentioned some very competent stereo amps that I didn't enjoy for 2 channel as much as the AVR600 (ie, Coda CSi, Moon i7 and Musical Fidelity M6i)...it took the Musical Fidelity AMS 35i full Class A amp to fully outclass it.

I don't like Naim Amps, so I would take the AVR750 over them any day of the week, but you might be different.....so I am saying that the AVR750 will indeed give decent Stereo Amps a run for the money.

One of the reasons for the remarkable 2 channel performance of both the AVR600 and AVR750, is the Class G topography. You can read about it here under Section 111, pages 163-166 (Technical Analysis): http://www.iar-80.com/page163.html

You need to hear what this AVR can do for yourself.....and with a competent source, set to "Stereo Direct" and using good speakers, I'd be surprised if you weren't impressed.

TRENDING THREADS