Home Cinema or Hi-Fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm looking for a little advice please.

When I read What Hi-Fi magazine it seems there is a big difference between buying a home cinema system or a Hi-Fi system and I get the feeling they recommend owning one of each. I have a home theatre system which includes a Sony STR-DH810 AV unit and Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers. This is an awsome set up for movies.

I am also keen on having great sound quality when playing music. I usually stream music from itunes through this home cinema system via Apple TV connected to the AV. I can set the AV to output to 2 speakers to be more like a Hi-Fi.

How does this set up (for music sound quality) compare against having seperate a Hi-Fi system? I dont want to have 2 different systems for music and movie (due to A. cost, and B. space). Is there anything I can do to improve music sound quality using my current system?

I hope this makes sense, and look forward to your expert advice!

Thanks

Rich

A

Anonymous

My home cinema system is similar to yours (Tannoy FX5.1 and ony STR2400ae) - and is nowhere as good compared to my hi fi set up, which is in a different league entirely.

It is listenable when playing CD's - but just about. The Tannoy are just too small to shift enough air for Hi fi playback.

You could tweak your amp/speakers/DVD player, but why bother when the difference will still be massive (IMHO)

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi-fi for music definitely. My Sony receiver (admittedly old) and Kef egg system is awesome with films, and until I renewed my relationship with true hifi separates recently sounded great with music. Now, it never gets turned on for music playback.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I too would advocate a two channel system for music, I had both but combined my main system from Arcam to a Sony av 2400es and was great with all tv/film but music became hugely disappointing.

I have 2 av systems and rarely use them for music but I do have too many boxes so looking to just do everything through 2 channel in future on main system but I do have a lot of sacd/dvda so keep a multichannel for those and the odd film or two.

Mind I haven't tried F1 in surround yet..............too early today don't think neighbours would be too thrilled.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts