Home cinema in a Box - Sony Davis10 vs Philips HTS9800?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I want to buy a Home Cinema system in a box, not wanting to spend more than approx. £500. Having done a bit of reading, two options have caught my eye, the Sony DAVIS 10 and the Philips HTS9800.

The appeal of the Sony is the excellent review and the tiny speakers, whilst the Philips had a good review last year and has the very appealing wireless rear speakers.

Which is the better all-rounder?

1) How long are the cables for the rear speakers on the Sony?

2) Should I be seduced by the Philips wireless feature which would make the set up a lot cleaner and easier?

3) Does the small size of the Sony compromise sound quality? I have read a few people say the volume has to be turned right up and may not be suitable for a reasonably big lounge?

4) Does the wireless connectivity of the Philips comprimise sound quality?

As you can see I'm in a quandry. I want a decent home cinema system (budget before anyone tells me I need to spend a lot more to get a decent one...) which will sound good watching DVDs/TV/Sky as well as playing music through an Ipod or CDs.

Which should I go for and why? Or are there other better options I've missed?

Thanks a lot in advance!

pmw5

A

Anonymous

The speaker cable lengths are; 4.5m(front) 3.0m(centre) and 12m(Yes, twelve metres!!) for the rear. Don't worry, the cable is very unobtrusive. Go Dav-is10 would be my response. 'Tis a fine little unit. And if you need them, the matching rear speaker stands (£70-£80) look the part and keep the cabling very tidy.

A

Anonymous

I've just purchased and installed a Sony DAV-IS10 system (£369.99 from Empire Direct although it's gone up to £379.99) and and very happy with it. I went for it because of the size of the speakers (a toddler and crawling baby meant my old separates system had to go due to the size of the speakers and the danger of them crushing a child
emotion-6.gif
).

The speaker cable is very unobtrusive and I layed it very easily and discreetly under the carpet. The sound seems very good even though my room isn't exactly an optimal setup.

Anyway, I've no experience of the Philips system but would quite happily recommend the Sony.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Another query on the Sony since you both have it...

Can you plug in a Sky+ box to the main unit and enjoy 5.1 sound when watching films on Sky? It seems on the Philips you CANNOT (if anyone can tell me my research is wrong please let me know!).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you can connect an optical digital cable from the Sky+ or Sky HD box to the Sony and get 5.1-channel surround sound from those films that carry it. The Philips has only an electrical digital input, so wouldn't be suitable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

As a result of feedback, I will therefore go for the Sony as it would be crazy to not be able to listen to Sky films in 5.1 ! I now also know rear speaker cables will be long enough.

Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts