Holidays Approach - Time to Move On?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
A few years back, when my Nearly-Nephew-in-Law became the proud owner of an iPhone he very generously sold me his iPod. I was really excited: it was a major step forward from my disc-based mp3 player - so, oh so, much more convenient and cool!

Well, that was then, this is now. At the time 8Gb was mammoth capacity to me. However, I am getting a bit frustrated because 8Gb is not enough for a decent range of lossless content (which is what I have now graduated to). With holiday season coming up soon, I am considering an upgrade that is suitable for taking away to foreign parts. I don't want anything too sophisticated - I just want to listen to good quality music.

I have just extricated the beast from its rubbery enclosure and found that what I have is an 8Gb 3rd Generation iPod Nano. Based on recent experience, I suspect that the battery might be gradually failing - it does not seem to hold its charge quite so well.

So, please, any suggestions for my upgrade plans?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Ah, Chebby, Chebby, Chebby, there you go, trying to tempt me and lead me to the Dark Side. :) No, honestly, all I want is a good music player. No email, no surfing the web...just good, honest music and plenty of it.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Sandisk Sansa clip + with an extra 16gb Micro SDHC card will triple your capacity. It is extremely cheap, extremely small, has a radio and sounds fine.

A

Anonymous

Gusboll said:
Ipod Classic - 160GB - keep an eye on Amazon for bargains.

+1

Although I don't practice what I preach and struggle by with a mere 32GB on my iPhone, the classic is undeniably a bargain if you just want giant storage for things like holidays or business trips. I like having solid state storage for running, but I've never tested a HDD device to see if it's reliable when unstable.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
:) Don't do moby's - doesn't float my boat at all, so scratch any ideas about iPhones or similar. ;)

At present I am gradually moving from MP3 to Apple lossless on my laptop, but am open to alternatives. However, I still haven't persuaded myself it's worth moving over to the Mac.

At the back of my mind is that sooner or later I will probably dip my toes a bit deeper into the streaming arena at home, but at present I just want to get my 'on the move' and holiday listening sorted.

A

Anonymous

If you continue to use iTunes for your music solution then you only need to add an Apple Airport Express and you're away on the streaming front for <£100. It's good. Especially with Internet radio and Spotify.

:bounce:

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
:) Don't do moby's - doesn't float my boat at all, so scratch any ideas about iPhones or similar. ;)
I was not trying to convert,just look at alternatives or kill two birds.It is worth looking at (said he,contradicting himself)

you can have phone capability but you don't have to use it (and please just don't necessarily stick everything musical down the apple lossless road immediately,imo)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
:)

Thanks for your input so far. I'm off to climb the wooden hill and will see what my net has caught on the 'morrow.

Which 'generation' of the Classic is considered best? The latest? An earlier incarnation?

John Duncan

ESP2009 said:
Ah, Chebby, Chebby, Chebby, there you go, trying to tempt me and lead me to the Dark Side. :) No, honestly, all I want is a good music player. No email, no surfing the web...just good, honest music and plenty of it.

See, that's what Mrs JD thought until she actually tried one...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
That's precisely what I'm afraid of - the slippery slope. Besides, I don't want anything too attractive to opportunistic thieveses, my precsshioussss.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
Sandisk Sansa clip + with an extra 16gb Micro SDHC card will triple your capacity. It is extremely cheap, extremely small, has a radio and sounds fine.

am enthusiastic +1 from me.

mate of mine wanted something to listen to while jogging for under £50. I suggested the original clip and a pair of Koss SportaPro 'phones. I had a listen and it was better than my rig at the time! (My current player & a pair of Sony MDR-EX500LP)

The added bonus of the micro SD slot almost had me sold but instead I got my amp and current headphones :rockout:

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
The 8GB Sansa clip is on the Play.com one day sale at £29.99 inc del and a Samsung 8GB SD for £4.99.

A few quid cheaper than some places.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Now there's a thought: why stick at one 'player when you could buy two...or three...or... :) That's one for classical, one for rock, and one for audio books! Now, all I need is to colour code my collection... ;)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My ipod 60gb bit the dust last week so I went straight out and bought a ipod classic 160gb. I know there maybe better sounding players on the market but it's got big storage for all my lossless music and as long as you dump the supplied headphones it's no problem for me :).

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
My ipod 60gb bit the dust last week so I went straight out and bought a ipod classic 160gb. I know there maybe better sounding players on the market but it's got big storage for all my lossless music and as long as you dump the supplied headphones it's no problem for me :).

I agree, I've got 110gb on mine so far. Hope they bring out a bigger one before I need a new one.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
mitch65 said:

I agree, I've got 110gb on mine so far. Hope they bring out a bigger one before I need a new one.

I think the Classic has been, or is about to be, discontinued.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Gusboll said:
Lost Angeles said:
mitch65 said:

I think the Classic has been, or is about to be, discontinued.

Makes sense, they've got too many iPods sharing the same Market so might as well get rid and leave the rest to iPod touch, iPad and iPhone....increase the hard drive size and job done.......although with the likes of spotify is there a need for massive space anymore. I'm glad I bought mine when I did.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've got a iPod 30GB video (gen 5, I think). It's meant to have a better DAC than current incarnations. Battery life was dropping off a cliff, until it hit a low with 4 songs for a full charge! I bought a new battery on ebay for £8.99 (it comes with a tool to open the iPod). It took about 6 minutes to change, and now I'm back to 11hrs on a full charge!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts