HMV seperates

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
anyone remember HMV large black and wooden seperates? The amp had vu meteres and the turntable had digital speed control, i remember it as sounding great but nostalgia is a mofo is'nt it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The HMV 4000p turntable is a dead ringer for an old ADC 1500. Compare Google images of both.

The electronics could have been made by anyone at the time (like Rotel did for Rank for a time). All a bit 'generic' 1970s rack-system. You can probably guarantee that none of it was actually made by HMV.

Unusually (for typical 'rack' tuners of the era) the HMV 4000t seems - from the better pics on google - to have FM, MW, LW and Short wave. (Nice illuminated tuning scale and meters. The whole system seems to offer a lot of 'play value' with a control and and a meter - or a light - for everything.)

Any speakers?

Any photographs?

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
HMV were part of the Thorn Consumer Electronics group in the 1970's , as were Goodmans when they made superb loudspeakers and the Module series of receivers. The 4000 amp was made in England and sports DIN sockets and three UK style power outlets on the rear panel. I suspect they were made in the same factory as the Goodmans receivers. As a matter of interest, the Goodmans 150 receiver was the only British made receiver which incorporated those power outlets.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
014_2_zpsf58743a6.jpg

doozeruk

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
For anyone interested I am now about to list on ebay the complete package which consisted of HMV 4000a, 4000t, 4000p and 4000t...I still have all the instruction manuals...It still is a great system and nothing is built close to them today for level of detail...Not posting as a link I dont want to be in trouble with mods!

doozeruk

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I only posted as I was looking for info on the unit and found what hifi first...There is very little info about the system but it certainly is awe inspiring to look at. Having been a moderator on a forum before didnt want to break any rules by posting links though...I woud post a picture of the system but I cant remeber my FTP password!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts