High powered amp and volume adjustments

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

With two young ones at home i don't get to listen to music very loud.
Since i got the tucana i am noticing how quickly it goes loud and loud to very loud on the volune knob. I have had the amp almost a month and only now i am kind of getting the hang of it and that is only on the remote not on the actuall knob. I read on the iceman's mfams35i thread that other people were having similar issues.
At the moment my sweet spot is about 7 30/8 o'clock position. With tucana i have not gone past 11 o'clock position i am scared it will damage the speakers.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
A dac with an adjustable output such as the Chord Mojo would help here. In the evenings I reduce it's 3v preset output to a level that allows for more control with the amp volume. The Mojo audio signal comes directly from the fpga chip with virtually no distortion so you don't have any double amping issues as you would using some dacs in pre amp mode.

iceman16

Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

With two young ones at home i don't get to listen to music very loud. Since i got the tucana i am noticing how quickly it goes loud and loud to very loud on the volune knob. I have had the amp almost a month and only now i am kind of getting the hang of it and that is only on the remote not on the actuall knob. I read on the iceman's mfams35i thread that other people were having similar issues. At the moment my sweet spot is about 7 30/8 o'clock position. With tucana i have not gone past 11 o'clock position i am scared it will damage the speakers.

Hi Animesh.. off topic.. have you seen my YT videos?

D

Deleted member 108165

Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

With two young ones at home i don't get to listen to music very loud. Since i got the tucana i am noticing how quickly it goes loud and loud to very loud on the volune knob. I have had the amp almost a month and only now i am kind of getting the hang of it and that is only on the remote not on the actuall knob. I read on the iceman's mfams35i thread that other people were having similar issues. At the moment my sweet spot is about 7 30/8 o'clock position. With tucana i have not gone past 11 o'clock position i am scared it will damage the speakers.

Have you considered adding some Rothwell passive attenuators to calm the input from the SA8005?

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Hi Animesh.. off topic.. have you seen my YT videos?

yes i did, very nice indeed, love those heat sinks. Should have done a close up shot

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Have you considered adding some Rothwell passive attenuators to calm the input from the SA8005?

never knew such a thing existed.

D

Deleted member 108165

Animesh Ghose said:
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Here: http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Got them fitted to the inputs on my amp, -10dB variety adds about 2 hours to volume dial sweep. I have tried other makes but Rothwells are the best - totally transparent. Not sure if this is what you need but I'm sure others will chime-in if I'm pointing you in the wrong direction *smile* Vlad will be the guy to ask...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Gain Button The gain button allows the input gain for each input to be varied over a range of +/-10 dB using the volume knob. The gain setting of each input is independent and will not affect other inputs. With this facility, the audio level of each source can be made similar. For example, CD players will often sound louder than Tuners or MP3 players.

Using the gain facility, the gain of the CD input could be reduced and/or the gain of the MP3 input increased to achieve an audible match.

To do this, first listen to a selection of input sources to judge an average volume level.

Set a comfortable volume level using the volume control. Note that selecting between inputs will reset the volume to a low level. To judge the average level, the volume should be reset so that the LED ring indicates the same position.

Next, make a note of any sources that are louder or quieter than the average level. If a source is louder, press GAIN, and adjust the volume knob down to bring that source back to the average level.

Press GAIN again to return to normal operation. If the source is quieter than the average, press GAIN and increase the level using the volume control.

Press GAIN again to return to normal operation.

Now when you select different inputs, the level will remain similar for similar LED positions on the LED ring.

Source

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Got them fitted to the inputs on my amp, -10dB variety adds about 2 hours to volume dial sweep. I have tried other makes but Rothwells are the best - totally transparent. Not sure if this is what you need but I'm sure others will chime-in if I'm pointing you in the wrong direction *smile* Vlad will be the guy to ask...

I just started another thread about these, I think that answers it for me. *biggrin*

DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Good suggestion those attenuators, there is another thread on going about them.

Should solve the problem.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
Good suggestion those attenuators, there is another thread on going about them.

Should solve the problem.

Added bonus: With them fitted to the amp inputs from my cdp they have also resulted in equalizing the volume output of the cdp and turntable, so I no longer have to dive for the volume control when switching sources.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Gain Button The gain button allows the input gain for each input to be varied over a range of +/-10 dB using the volume knob. The gain setting of each input is independent and will not affect other inputs. With this facility, the audio level of each source can be made similar. For example, CD players will often sound louder than Tuners or MP3 players.

Using the gain facility, the gain of the CD input could be reduced and/or the gain of the MP3 input increased to achieve an audible match.

To do this, first listen to a selection of input sources to judge an average volume level.

Set a comfortable volume level using the volume control. Note that selecting between inputs will reset the volume to a low level. To judge the average level, the volume should be reset so that the LED ring indicates the same position.

Next, make a note of any sources that are louder or quieter than the average level. If a source is louder, press GAIN, and adjust the volume knob down to bring that source back to the average level.

Press GAIN again to return to normal operation. If the source is quieter than the average, press GAIN and increase the level using the volume control.

Press GAIN again to return to normal operation.

Now when you select different inputs, the level will remain similar for similar LED positions on the LED ring.

Source

thanks for that

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
DougK said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

Mine arrived today and they worked a treat. *good*

TRENDING THREADS