High Level Input Sensitivity and Line-Output Level

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What happens if the audio source device's output (lets say a DVD player) has a higher level than the amplifier's input (2 Volts vs. 1.5 Volts). Essentially I'd like to know what happens if I connect a DVD player to an old amplifier. Will it be disastrous?

Thanks

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
iv'e had no trouble connecting new gear to old,you may have lower volume but that's all.try the output of the tape direct connection.this should give a better signal.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bit baffled by gregory's answer, think he may have the wrong end of the stick.

Line level is nominally 2V in most cases, so if the amp has higher input sensitivity the signal from a DVD player outputting 2V will be louder, not softer.

But this is the same nominal output voltage as most CD players, so you'll have no problems at all.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
your quite right andrew,i read it the wrong way round which still dosn't make a lot of sense but i think you know what i mean.

A

Anonymous

Being a novice, maybe I have used the wrong terms. I am using a late 90s Marantz amp and have recently ordered a Harman/Kardon cd player
which is on the way. Now I have discovered these lines in the two
devices' catalogs:

Amp:
Input Sensitivity: High level 150mV /20kOhm

CD Player:
Line-Output Level: 2.0 V

Are these devices considered as incompatible? Or should I take care of something when connecting these two?

A

Anonymous

Is it possible that such a setting lead to amp overload? I am experiencing a slight but certainly undesirable distortion on very loud and high female vocals (even on low volumes), and am trying to figure out exactly why.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't know what the problem could be but ceratinly not because it overload....speakers' drivers?

and if it a slight undesireable distortion then it could even be you amp's caps are getting old and need service! nothing last forever (even 300 series Mercedes!)

A

Anonymous

I am but a beginner in this field, but I think both of the cases you mentioned (aged capacitors, and not-enough-dynamic speaker drive) reveal themselves in high volumes, isn't it? I am hearing the SLIGHT distortion even when the volume is low, and I have to add that my speakers are way more powerful than my tiny amp.

A

Anonymous

From the sound of it, it feels as if your amp is nearing its age. But it could also be the speakers. Is it common, or per source? Is it across the frequency ranges or only high-pitch female voices?

A

Anonymous

Only "very" high-pitch female voice. OK, today I'll try headphones (I suppose their amp circuit is separate, so, no interest), another pair of speakers and secondary audiosources... Anyway, it happens so rarely, but I can't still figure out why.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts