High fidelity

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

edplaysdrums42 said:
I just think the OP's original point is rather pedantic. Does it really matter exactly what HiFi means? I used to have a very neutral sounding system but in the end I moved to a more warmer and IMO more musical sound. I want to listen and enjoy the music not mix it. For me, having so much detail became A bit distracting in the end.

Cheers, Ed

Exactly. The original point is pedantic but then the OP doesn't want to be quite as pedantic in their application of the precise definition of 'High Fidelity'. Can't have it both ways.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Yep that's the point! For example I've been listening to the Geza Anda performances of the Bartok Piano Concertos for 40+ years and I know what they sound like.

Surely you just know what they sound like on various 'hi-fi' systems?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Covenanter said:
I am encouraged by those who can see what I am getting at and depressed by those who can't see the point!

Look I was an audiophile in the 1970s, Thorens TD160, Hadcock, AKG cartridge, amp (can't remember), tuner was Sony but model I don't know. Then I had a long period, career, kids and family, when I had other issues. Now I have time to get back into hifi andI i question what people are talking about and I get some abuse when all I am doing is questioning. I think there are people on this forum who don't like their comfortable little world questioned!

Chris

I see you're doing a bit of willy waggling yourself albeit back in the 1970's ;)

:grin:

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I am encouraged by those who can see what I am getting at and depressed by those who can't see the point!

Look I was an audiophile in the 1970s, Thorens TD160, Hadcock, AKG cartridge, amp (can't remember), tuner was Sony but model I don't know. Then I had a long period, career, kids and family, when I had other issues. Now I have time to get back into hifi andI i question what people are talking about and I get some abuse when all I am doing is questioning. I think there are people on this forum who don't like their comfortable little world questioned!

Chris

Sorry, but I have to agree with omnibeard, you are talking rubbish. Who went and made you the ultimate authority on what music should sound like - in fact who's uncomfortable with their world being questioned here.

music is something that people enjoy, on a mono radio placed on a bread bin in the kitchen to a system costing thousands in a sound treated room. You really need to get over yourself and climb down off that high horse....really.

this is typed in a light hearted way so please don't take offense , just consider.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Coveranter. Boy some really horrible people on here. If i loose the argument i will be horrible. If u listen to a sound or an instrument for a long time u get to know how that instrument sounds. you can then compare that to how it sounds on a HIFI system. What the hell is wrong with that.

I dnt get it why people have to be very nasty on here.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I agree with Coveranter. Boy some really horrible people on here. If i loose the argument i will be horrible. If u listen to a sound or an instrument for a long time u get to know how that instrument sounds. you can then compare that to how it sounds on a HIFI system. What the hell is wrong with that.

oh Native_bon, no ones being horrid or nasty towards anyone, its just grown ups banter, thats what makes things interesting, two sides of an argument till it runs out of steam. Its not personal......

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Native_bon said:

Imagine it's a conversation over a couple of pints down at the Pig & Whistle; it'll sound much friendlier.

BTW, rubbish speakers at the Pig & Whistle.

TRENDING THREADS