High End

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stormbringer"]
It will do, it's solid state and therefore requires no running-in...just a little warm-up. 30 mins should suffice.
emotion-13.gif

[/quote]
But, but, but Naim say in their instructions...

"Running in - Naim equipment takes a considerable time to run in before it performs at its best. The duration varies, but under some conditions the sound may continue to improve for over a month. Better and more consistent performance will be achieved if the system is left switched on for long periods. It is worth remembering however that equipment left connected to the mains can be damaged by lightning."

My logical (but electronically ignorant) head agrees with you, but I'd hope they know what they're talking about - I'm conflicted.

Cheers, Tony

[I really wish I could get formatting to work in this forum :-(

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="TonyHall"]Naim equipment takes a considerable time to run in before it performs at its best. The duration varies, but under some conditions the sound may continue to improve for over a month[/quote]

A year at darren's clearaudio
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="TonyHall"][quote user="stormbringer"]

It will do, it's solid state and therefore requires no running-in...just a little warm-up. 30 mins should suffice.
emotion-13.gif

[/quote] But, but, but Naim say in their instructions... "Running in - Naim equipment takes a considerable time to run in before it performs at its best. The duration varies, but under some conditions the sound may continue to improve for over a month. Better and more consistent performance will be achieved if the system is left switched on for long periods. It is worth remembering however that equipment left connected to the mains can be damaged by lightning." My logical (but electronically ignorant) head agrees with you, but I'd hope they know what they're talking about - I'm conflicted. Cheers, Tony [I really wish I could get formatting to work in this forum :-([/quote]

They're just trying to counter the feeling many customers experience when they shell-out big bucks on snazzy hifi gear, only to get home and decide that it doesn't sound quite so out of this world as they had hoped. By playing the ''running-in'' card you get X number of hours to become accustomed to the sound. You run your ears in, not the system. Only speakers benefit from running-in IMO, the drivers loosen up and there are real improvements in the sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stormbringer"]They're just trying to counter the feeling many customers experience when they shell-out big bucks on snazzy hifi gear, only to get home and decide that it doesn't sound quite so out of this world as they had hoped. By playing the ''running-in'' card you get X number of hours to become accustomed to the sound. You run your ears in, not the system. Only speakers benefit from running-in IMO, the drivers loosen up and there are real improvements in the sound[/quote]

Correct. When adjusting bias settings in solid state electronics you normally adjust over 30/45 mins maximum. After that circuitry is stable.

A

Anonymous

I went for a demo a few weeks ago of some High End kit just to hear if it is truly as is said in the magazines.

systym as follows:

Audio Research CD7

Pathos Logic integrated

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's

Transparent Audio cabling

PS mains unit.

FANTASTIC.

I took 3 cd's with me and played them in the following order.

Brahms Violin concerto in D (3rd movement) Tamsin Little ,soloist.

Grace Jones Nightclubbing.

The Fall Peel Sessions disc 2.

I was listening for an hour and it was almost a ,dare I say it, a spiritual experience.I've heard some pretty good hi-fi, several 6K to 10 K set ups and this was in a different league.the music soared,the bass was felt rather than heard (tiny standmounts) and MES's voice on the last album seemed to be really in the room,there was no feeling at all that there was any electrical equipment in the room at all,Just music all around.

Is it worth it.Yes.Every penny if you can.

P.S. total cost was £27,000.

A

Anonymous

A lot of people raise eyebrows when they find out how much my hi-fi cost.
Those that have heard it tend to raise more than eyebrows when they hear it :)

For the record, everything I've bought sounds better at home than it did in the shop, the most notable things being my speakers. I thought they were wondrous things in the shop but when I got them home they simply blew me away. They almost made me cry with joy! Consequently they did not return to the shop...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BigGuads"]A lot of people raise eyebrows when they find out how much my hi-fi cost.
Those that have heard it tend to raise more than eyebrows when they hear it :)

For the record, everything I've bought sounds better at home than it did in the shop, the most notable things being my speakers. I thought they were wondrous things in the shop but when I got them home they simply blew me away. They almost made me cry with joy! Consequently they did not return to the shop...[/quote]

nice to hear that,I've got some micro Beryl's on home demo over the may bank holiday,not expecting them to go back to the shop either.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Great question!

We're putting together an Ultimate Guide to High-end Hi-fi and AV to go on sale this summer, so will be very interested to hear what you think we should include (we have plenty of our own ideas, obviously, but always great to hear yours).

[/quote]

No

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rev"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]Great question!
We're putting together an Ultimate Guide to High-end Hi-fi and AV to go on sale this summer, so will be very interested to hear what you think we should include (we have plenty of our own ideas, obviously, but always great to hear yours).[/quote]

No[/quote]

Huh?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
We're putting together an Ultimate Guide to High-end Hi-fi and AV to go on sale this summer, so will be very interested to hear what you think we should include (we have plenty of our own ideas, obviously, but always great to hear yours).[/quote]

No[/quote]

Huh?
[/quote]

indeed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

No[/quote]

Huh?

[/quote]

indeed.[/quote]

double indeed

A

Anonymous

[quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="al7478"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

No[/quote]

Huh?

[/quote]

indeed.[/quote]

double indeed
[/quote]

Triple indeed. I confuse myself sometimes.

TRENDING THREADS