Question High end active wireless speakers

eoghan

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Looking for some advice. I sold all my separates about 5 years ago and invested in AVI ADM9RS active speakers which I have to say have served me well and continue to do so. I switched because I had all my music on the PC so found I wasn't using CD or record player as much.

Anyway I have come into a bit of cash and want to upgrade but want to invest in new active wireless floor standers. I have found loads of reviews out there but its quite a mixed bag.The reason I say mixed bag is because some require controllers, others dont, others seems to require pre-amps (not sure why based on my limited knowledge). All I am using is a Dell PC with Roon, Spotify and Web (mixcloud etc).

What I am looking for is a set of floor stander active wireless speakers and all requisite parts! for less than 12K. I am not super tech but love my music which ranges from ambient to avant garde composition to techno so all ranges. The space I use them is super odd as it is a weirdly shaped big room. There are only a few shops around me who sell Dynaudio and KEF so thats all they recommend.

Looking for advice which is wider than the two recommended (not discounting them by the way as Dynaudio Focus range seem great) and what accessories you would suggest to make it optimal. Want to make my money go as far as possible.

Sorry for long mail but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Looking for some advice. I sold all my separates about 5 years ago and invested in AVI ADM9RS active speakers which I have to say have served me well and continue to do so. I switched because I had all my music on the PC so found I wasn't using CD or record player as much.

Anyway I have come into a bit of cash and want to upgrade but want to invest in new active wireless floor standers. I have found loads of reviews out there but its quite a mixed bag.The reason I say mixed bag is because some require controllers, others dont, others seems to require pre-amps (not sure why based on my limited knowledge). All I am using is a Dell PC with Roon, Spotify and Web (mixcloud etc).

What I am looking for is a set of floor stander active wireless speakers and all requisite parts! for less than 12K. I am not super tech but love my music which ranges from ambient to avant garde composition to techno so all ranges. The space I use them is super odd as it is a weirdly shaped big room. There are only a few shops around me who sell Dynaudio and KEF so thats all they recommend.

Looking for advice which is wider than the two recommended (not discounting them by the way as Dynaudio Focus range seem great) and what accessories you would suggest to make it optimal. Want to make my money go as far as possible.

Sorry for long mail but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks

Dali Caslisto 6 and a hub with a Bluos module fitted would be a roon endpoint, They should be reasonably easy to get a demo of in the UK.

James

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi eoghan, I don’t know if you still looking back at this thread, but here goes.

Dali Callisto 6C great integration with the hub and the optional BluOS module is a must.
However, there’s no facility for any form of room correction and various reviews have all said the bass can get unruly in the wrong setting.

Dali have now started to take the wireless active tech upmarket through their range, having just introduced the Rubicon C series. You’d be looking at the Rubicon 6C for a floorstanding pair.
I don’t know for sure, but I think these also lack any room correction functions.

Dynaudio are an obvious brand to look at for active wireless.
They’ve been in this particular game for almost the best part of the last decade.
Now on their 3rd generation Xeo range, the Xeo 6 is the floorstanding model.
There is some DSP control for room placement which by all accounts works well.

Moving up, the Focus XD series are in a totally different class.
Now on the 2nd generation of this range, the Focus 30XD and 60XD are the floorstanding models.
Similar if not slightly better DSP facilities.
Sceptics should really listen to these ( note. the Special 40’s are essentially passive versions of the Focus 20XD, but with the better tweeter from, I think, the Contour).

To get the best out of the Dynaudio’s, the Connect wireless hub is a must.
It allows you to plug in various analogue and digital inputs, with some streaming capability, but you can easily plug your own streamer in if you prefer.

Bowers & Wilkins introduced their Formation wireless range last year.
Apart from the usual multi room type speakers, they have a serious stand mounted pair, Formation Duo.
B&W are apparently being secretive about the prospect of a floorstanding model, but US sources suggest it’s only a matter of time.
The Duo uses drivers from the 800 and 700 series.
Downsides are basically the cost of the matching wireless hub ( necessary if you wish to use a CD player or Turntable, or link into another existing HiFi system) at a staggering £600.; and the cost of the lovely matching stands at £700.
I’m hoping to have a listen to these soon. All reviews suggest incredible deep, agile and tight bass from such a relatively small stand mount. DSP at work!

With your budget, KEF are pitching well below what you can afford.
The LS50 Wireless....so called wireless because it’s anything but, because any additional components, such as a CD player, all have to be connected to the speakers and an umbilical cable is required to connect the left and right speakers. Total pants!
The cheaper LSX is an improvement on this in not requiring the umbilical cable, but KEF really need to go back to the drawing board on this, as almost every competitor ( there are now a growing number of them), are using full wireless to the speakers.
One would hope KEF will look at a second generation version and start to put wireless active tech into their more expensive ranges.
They might have to with the growing competition. Early head start turning to being left behind and all that.

Other companies producing what you’re looking for include ELAC, Focal, Canton and a couple of other European brands, not readily available in the UK.
Strong rumour ( insider info gained at the recent Windsor show) that Monitor Audio are planning a BluOS fitted wireless active, but that might be a little way off yet.
Dutch & Dutch haven’t produced a floorstanding version of their 8C yet.

Go beyond £10,000 a pair and apart from the (excellent my own opinion) Kii 3 there are a few other “high end” options.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten one or two others, but hopefully that’s of some use to you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: insider9

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts