HiFi with MP3 player controlled via remote?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a newbie both to this forum, and to the world of HiFi really, so please excuse me if this question is a bit dumb for all the experts out there
emotion-2.gif

I'm looking to buy a new HiFi but have a couple of important requirements for any new kit:

1. I want to be able dock an mp3 player, preferably an Apple iTouch, and play it through the speakers.

2. I want to be able to control the mp3 player via the HiFi remote. Needn't necessarily be all the functions, but would require all the basic stuff like navigating, starting, stopping and skipping tracks, controlling volume, etc.

3. I need the remote to be infrared (I assume that should be fairly standard though?).

Apart from the above, I'm not too fussed about the rest - CD (ideally 3 trays), radio and, preferably, a cassette deck should do it.

So my question is are my "must have" requirements possible to achieve? Actually, it's really only (2), controlling the mp3 (iTouch) player via the remote, that I'm struggling to find any decent information on.

If the above is indeed possible, any recommendations on models that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil

John Duncan

Right, in which case, instead of using the iPod Touch as a source, I would get an airport express (65/70 quid), and use the iPod Touch as the remote - the 'Remote' application on the Touch hooks into your wifi network and controls the iTunes running on your PC (or Mac), so you can have your entire library at your fingertips, cover flow and all. Amaze your friends.........

Then you can use any stereo you like.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
That's a plan.

Providing of course you don't mind leaving your computer on every time you want to listen to music...

But if that doesn't bother you, then I'd say it's the way to go.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. That's an interesting suggestion and I'll look into it. Unfortunately, my initial thought is it won't quite do what I'm after. I guess I should explain a bit more ...

I use an "environmental control system" to control most of the gadgets in the house (I'm physically disabled you see). Think of it as basically a big universal remote that you program with the (infrared) signals from all the individual remote controls for each device I use, so I can then control all those devices via just this one "master" control. What I'm hoping to do is be able to control an itouch through the same system, which basically means I need to find an infrared remote that can control an itouch, and ideally that would also integrate with the rest of my HiFi system as well. This really rules out using the itouch itself as the remote (though I appreciate the suggestion). Does that make sense?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
In that case, Onkyo CS-515UK - it has an iPod dock, and you can use the onkyo remote to control the iPod... £365 inc dock and speakers, although I would be tempted to drop the £70 onkyo speakers (they let you do this) and add something like the Wharfdale 9.1s...

John Duncan

It does - so it's infrared control of an ipod touch (and coincidentally any stereo you buy) by a "universal" remote that's important, as opposed to by the remote on the stereo itself?

In which case, get an apple universal dock, which controls an iPod with an IR remote, and plug it into your chosen stereo. There are other, more expensive docks which also have remotes (Onkyo, Denon, Arcam spring to mind), but I found the Apple one perfectly adequate.

Does that make more sense for your needs?

A

Anonymous

That sounds great, I'll take a look. Thanks a lot for all your help and (speedy!) advice. Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts