Visit site
Hello everyone,
I currently have a stereo system like this

Amplifier: Denon Pma600ne
Schiit Loki mini equalizer
Speakers: ELAC DEBUT B6.2
Turntable: Denon Dp300f. Stylus : Ortofon m2 red
Subwoofer: Mivoc Hype 10 G2

As I am not quite satisfied with the sound performance, I mainly listen to Pink Floyd, U2, Santana, Doors, CCR etc etc, I was thinking of upgrading and replacing the amplifier with a Cambridge Audio Cxa61, hoping for a little more brilliant sound. I listen to Vinyls, Cd's and streaming through bluetooth.

What do you think, can you give me some advice?

Thank you and greetings.
Pasquale

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I currently have a stereo system like this

Amplifier: Denon Pma600ne
Schiit Loki mini equalizer
Speakers: ELAC DEBUT B6.2
Turntable: Denon Dp300f.
Subwoofer: Mivoc Hype 10 G2

As I am not quite satisfied with the sound performance, I mainly listen to Pink Floyd, U2, Santana, Doors, CCR etc etc, I was thinking of upgrading and replacing the amplifier with a Cambridge Audio Cxa61, hoping for a little more brilliant sound.

What do you think, can you give me some advice?

Thank you and greetings.
Pasquale
Welcome to the forum.
Sound changes are primarily going to come from a speaker change and if that turntable is your only source consider upgrading that.
If the Loki cannot effect changes to your liking get rid of it and look for better cartridge / speakers.
when you say brilliant sound do you mean better or brighter?
Amplifiers are only there to amplify the incoming source so the source is where you should be looking.

Last edited:

paspolc

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the answer.
Would you then recommend me a few alternative speakers to the ones I currently own?

For more brilliant sound i meant brighter, crispier, less muffled.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the answer.
Would you then recommend me a few alternative speakers to the ones I currently own?

For more brilliant sound i meant brighter, crispier, less muffled.

Thanks again.
then it's probably down to the cartridge on that turntable......
Your speakers are fine, note the WHF review of them and "unforgiving of poor sources"

The 2M Red is described by Ortofon as the warmest toned of the range. The Blue will be brighter, as would any Audio Technica VM95 model. The Blue is quite expensive though.
What does it sound like with the treble turned up on the amp, or the bass reduced?
Are the speakers on decent stands, or on a shelf or table where they won’t give their best?

Reactions: paspolc

insider9

I can't really notice that big difference..
In that case I would not spend any money for now and investigate. Speakers at this price point are generally on a brighter end. And modern speakers are in general brighter than vintage ones. I have not hear yours though.

Are are you sure your tweeters are working? Are they connected (not sure how many terminals they have)? Have you engaged tone controls on your amp and rolled off treble? Have you had your hearing checked? Unusual not to notice difference in cart upgrade. Have you tried listening on axis (speakers directed at you)? This should result in a brighter sound. Lots of different free options as you can see.

I'd look at all these before you spend any money. It's unusual to people want a brighter sound. Particularly from speakers at that price bracket.

paspolc

May 3, 2021
Visit site
In that case I would not spend any money for now and investigate. Speakers at this price point are generally on a brighter end. And modern speakers are in general brighter than vintage ones. I have not hear yours though.

Are are you sure your tweeters are working? Are they connected (not sure how many terminals they have)? Have you engaged tone controls on your amp and rolled off treble? Have you had your hearing checked? Unusual not to notice difference in cart upgrade. Have you tried listening on axis (speakers directed at you)? This should result in a brighter sound. Lots of different free options as you can see.

I'd look at all these before you spend any money. It's unusual to people want a brighter sound. Particularly from speakers at that price bracket.

I'll try some of these options, like speakers direct, let's see what happens. Thanks

paspolc

May 3, 2021
Visit site
The 2M Red is described by Ortofon as the warmest toned of the range. The Blue will be brighter, as would any Audio Technica VM95 model. The Blue is quite expensive though.
What does it sound like with the treble turned up on the amp, or the bass reduced?
Are the speakers on decent stands, or on a shelf or table where they won’t give their best?

Treble is always on maximum, bass in middle, speakers are on stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts