HiFi plans for 2018

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I got i22 and 2 Elacs and they produce lovely sound to my ears. I do not question your experience, but ribbons can be very different from one to another. I heard Elac 409 with an i32, was great.

insider9

Absolutely I agree. I've never heard the Elac ribbons. They're slightly different to what I'm used to. Would live to hear a pair.

Just mentioned as I wouldn't suggest buying blind. I found ribbons to be much more fussy to partnering electronics but definitely worth the effort. FS407 look lovely.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
BlackSabbath what happened to your Turntable plans?
I just do not have the room to put a turntable anywhere on my rack it’s full and the fact I have a 7year old running around I’ve got a stack of vinyl which I’ve had for years but no turntable your right but can’t do it at the moment .

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I know I look like biased for Elac (I am), however a Dynaudio m20 is still on my radar one day (changing the Polk Audio). You had Quadral/Dali/Emotiva/Adam?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
knaithrover said:
Need some better speakers to get the best out of my Roksans, this will probably be pricey so will be looking for ex demo - PMC, Spendor or Hi end Dali's are on my list up to now. Very happy with my half vintage half modern main set up (see sig) will be adding a Sonos connect to this in the next week or so and maybe some better cables. Oh and some cart swapping and isolation for my Thorens..... Never ending.
it’s dangerous thinking this way but I am seriously thinking about Dali epicon 6s ex-demo in walnut but I am also thinking how much better will the epicon’s be then opticon 8s if just a little bit better then it’s not worth the upgrade .

And there are no dealers around me that sell the epicon’s as I was lucky with the Dali opticon 8s as I could go to richer sounds for a demo but they now sell the rubicon 6s and 8s but what they are like I do not no but the epicon’s look lovely to look at but do they sound lovely for £5999 ex-demo

Very very nice if you can afford them.... Who has them at that price (the epicons) ?

insider9

kukulec said:
I know I look like biased for Elac (I am), however a Dynaudio m20 is still on my radar one day (changing the Polk Audio). You had Quadral/Dali/Emotiva/Adam?
I've had a number of Dali speakers none with ribbon tweeters. No others from your list. My ribbons were Roksan K2 TR5, Red Rose Rosebuds and currently Red Rose Classic Ribbon.

It's Red Rose Rosebuds I've tried with Primare I22 and the top was just too dry for me. Primare A30.1 I've had was gorgeous with them.

From what I've read about Dynaudio it should partner I22 very well. However it's not for me. Can't see myself not using ribbons.

gasolin

If i can afford it a pair of genelec 8020 or G Two for deeper bass, i don't want a subwoofer so it's bigger speakers, genelec speakers above there small g One,6010, 8010 are expensive, especially in white, the 8010 in grey cost about 500€ a pair of white 8020's costs about 900€ more than a pair of yamaha hs8 which have great bass and are LOUD, the g two's and 8020's might still be able to fit in a medium sized shoebox, but they are still puchy,loud beyound there size as there smaller brothers are.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This year, if all goes well, I'll finish with the major reconstruction project for the house and I will have more disposable cash to play with.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
New cartridge for the turntable. Mind you, I've been saying that since I can't remember when. But there's also other things I want as well for my other hobbies. I have irons in too many fires.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
BigH said:
BlackSabbath what happened to your Turntable plans?
I just do not have the room to put a turntable anywhere on my rack it’s full and the fact I have a 7year old running around I’ve got a stack of vinyl which I’ve had for years but no turntable your right but can’t do it at the moment .

OK thanks I see, pity. You could not fit a TT shelf anywhere?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Macspur said:
Hi all

Has anyone got plans to purchase any HiFi gear this year?

Don't think I will be, depends on work situation. Although a friend is bringing over a Lindemann music player for me to hear tomorrow!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Sadly my main hifi may be going back in its boxes and in to storage for a couple of years. Our third child is due in April and space has become a real issue... *cray2*

Congratulations !

I don't know if it will be of any help to you but I am willing to foster your PMC's and give them a good home until such time you can use them again, all FOC *angel* .

Rest assured they will be well looked after and regularly fed with good music. *biggrin*

Cheeky monkey. Ellisdj has also offered to look after my electronics. You guys are so kind! *smile*

BTW those MB2i’s are still on the bay, now at £8249 or best offer. They’ve been rattling around on there for a couple of months now. I reckon you’d get those for £7.5K you know, which would be a £12K saving... Not trying to spend your money, but that is a once in a blue moon opportunity and the step up from PB1i to MB2i is massive. I’m prone to hyperbole but not in this instance. Massive, and you actually have the room for them... That’s £5K net once you’ve sold your current speakers. Just sayin’... *blum3*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip I thought my kind offer to keep your precious bricasti and valves away from the dust, and mess, crying, nappies was very honourable of me.

You could come and visit them any time you liked and you could hear how good they really sound.........

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gazzip I thought my kind offer to keep your precious bricasti and valves away from the dust, and mess, crying, nappies was very honourable of me.

You could come and visit them any time you liked and you could hear how good they really sound.........

Sounds like custody to me...

Cheeky git BTW. They sound great in my room! *biggrin*

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully purchasing a new Amp and DAC.

Current thoughts are: Emotiva A300/PT-100
Rega Intergrated/Rega Dac
Something Vintage

Thats if I don't blow my budget on a timepiece/timepieces!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts