HiFi Micro systems and 4ohm speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got a pair of Dynaudio Audience 50's (4ohm impedance) speakers that I used to use with a separates system which I have since sold. I'm looking to downsize to a micro system but I don't want to give up my Dynaudio's. Can someone advise me on the impact of driving 4ohm speakers from a 6ohm system (most micro's seem to be at 6ohm).

Thanks,

Dave

A

Anonymous

have read somewhere that if you use 4 ohm speakers, your amp takes a lot more strain and heats up much more, so you need a good amp ...

not sure if this is true or not, but am sure that someone more technical will advise

A

Anonymous

Looking at the possibilty of pairing an Onkyo CR-725 with my Dynaudio Audience 50's. Both are spec'd at 4ohm so it should be a good match. The CR-725 is capable of 50W/channel and the Audience 50's have a long term power handling rating of 150W so that should also be OK?

Any thoughts?

Comments on the CR-725? Can't find many reviews on the web.

-Dave

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
That is correct. The speakers are the load and if the resistance of that load decreases, then more power is drawn from the supply, ie the amp.

All things being equal, if you half the resistance/load you will double the power drawn, eg 10W into an 8 Ohm speaker setup will be 20W with 4 Ohms

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts