HiFi Expensive in the Rip off UK

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only brand to take this complete and utter bollocks as an insult ?

Seriously - the OP heard that if you spend money on advertising with WHF you'll get a good review ? And that you can buy the front cover ?

Really....well that's my PR guy fired then (sorry Murdo but you forgot to tell me that the industry I have worked in and continue to enjoy working in is bent - it's your job to notice these things mate as it obviously passed me by), that's all the team fired because they should have known we could have taken this brilliantly conceived short cut, not dropped that quarter mill on development work and we could have guaranteed a good review for a rubbish product if we'd brown-bagged £ 5K for an ad.

As for the front cover - only £ 80K - that's brilliant too - but hang on a minute......that's quite a bit more (like....many times more) than a full page in a magazine that I know has an ABC of 2.75 Million a week. Rather more than whatever the ABC number is for WHF. Hmm........but, whatever.....

And those buying decisions with which I was assisted by WHF's reviews (for products that we don't make, natch) were all dodgy......makes me look like a right plank, huh ? How did that happen. I feel such a fool. ( I think I must fall into the 'average' and 'lazy' category - my wife will be pleased).

Bullying ?

Nope - you've written twaddle mate - and WHF and anyone reading this forum has the right of reply.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Well you have to admit he was brave to post it given the level of damages you can get for defamation. Or maybe he simply doesn't realise how serious it could be?

Now I'm no great fan of WHFI reviews, a number of them I think are plain wrong and most of them, as I have posted elsewhere, use meaningless words (and execrable English
smiley-laughing.gif
) but I don't think they are corrupt.

Chris

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
i LOVE the whf forum but in that guys defence and what hifis its sad to say that freebies and such and such does go on, maybe not here but i know it does cause ive delivered freebies for companies myself . now i actually see this as a good thing as ought for nowt is better thanall of nothing as they say but what ever what hi fi say you the reader has to audition and listen for yourself or you would be mad,the fact that the mag or website steers you towards quality products saves you time and possibly money in the outcome.

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems as if no one really even agrees that hifi is expensive in the "Rip off UK".

Many UK brands of hifi such as Naim, Cyrus and Audiolab are 20% higher in Hong Kong than the U.K. It doesn't make sense as Hong Kong has no import tax and no VAT, Plus the dealer service and refund/exchange policies are no where near the high standards you get in the U.K.

Find this thread very damaging.

Honestly do not understand why the Consulting editor, brand editor and former Group editor of WHFI, and manufactuers have to justify/quantify company review policies. Everyone has opinions, but this poster has gone way beyond what is deemed as resonable on a public forum.

My only criticism is that WHFI have become too lenient over the past year or so as regards rogue posters. That's great - up to a point, but there has to be a line drawn. Concur with Chebby that this slanderous* idiot should be banned and the thread locked forthwith.

*Slanderous is my term, not chebby's.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Honestly do not understand why the Consulting editor, brand editor and former Group editor of WHFI, and manufactuers have to justify/quantify company review policies. Everyone has opinions, but this poster has gone way beyond what is deemed as resonable on a public forum.

My only criticism is that WHFI have become too lenient over the past year or so as regards rogue posters. That's great - up to a point, but there has to be a line drawn. Concur with Chebby that this slanderous* idiot should be banned and the thread locked forthwith.

I think I mentioned it before but censorship is not always the answer.

Look at this thread. It would probably fair to say the concensus is that the OP's views are questionable. He/she raised a topic, many have read it, quite a few replied and there is even some industry insider comments.

Such seemingly pointless comments can make interesting reading, raise other issues and, if nothing else, will provoke responses which usually put things into perspective.

Personally, I think this forum is a better place for it.

regards

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

You mean libellous. Or defamatory, then you can never get it wrong.

J

jcbrum

Hmmm, well, the allegations are certainly defamatory. Whether they are libelous, or even slanderous, hasn't really been tested, beyond an expected denial.

The point is, do they attract any credibilty, and are they harmful or beneficial in their broad concept.

I don't think they have gained much credibility, and it's probably beneficial that views are expressed in open forum, without sensorship, as drummerman suggests. That way credibility and status falls where it's due. - probably.

JC

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I actually think the thread is great as its brought back some of the great posters of eary whfi , the world is not vannila ladies and gents

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts