Hifi bargins

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
lpv said:
I’ve had scm40 active version and scm 19s with electrocompaniet and atc sia 2 amps.. 

I think 40s bass can be problematic in too small rooms, they missed the trick by not including some bass control dials and that’s why I’ve returned them. 19s integrate much better in smaller rooms (mine is 18sq meters).. 

I wont give you my opinion about their sound quality because I would probably rate them Today differently than couple of years ago when I’ve had them.. 19s have 6,5 inch midbass and it can be good or bad for your space.. 40s dedicated bass driver isnt huge but with the space behind the driver there’s much more upper bass.. I did not have them to compare side by side as one had to go so I could get another pair but the clarity ( from memory) was about the same. 

anyway, 40s were not very much listenable in our front room cause of the excessive bass.. 

both good speakers as far as ( scm19s) 2 way 6,5 inch midbass passive speakers goes.. but when we start talking about 3 way active speakers there are other interesting options to consider for same or less money.

Very much appreciate your response :)

For me the ATC actives were the end game. Especially the scm40A's. But I have to admit that my friends feedback did set me off course. The scm19A's are certainly cheaper .

From some of Rick's previous posts , I had gathered that ATC have the same sound. Just more of it with bigger speakers in bigger rooms. At least that seems to be their philosophy. So was surprised that they have a different sound signature too.

I am not buying them tomorrow, but do you think the scm40A's will be okay in my 12x22 feet dining room.

And just for kicks, what other active speakers in your opinion will give me similar performance for less money.

Thanks again :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I’ve compared ( with Andrew) side by side avi dm10s with his scm11s and hegel h360.. they were close ( scm11s bit dull)..

then I’ve compared scm 20 actives ( studio, standmounts) with dm10s and 20s were much less involving, dull and lifeless.. so you would think less hifi? I was really disappointed with 20s performance.. I would not buy them as home stereo.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
...And just for kicks, what other active speakers in your opinion will give me similar performance for less money.
Thanks again :)
Altec Barcelonas would give you better sonic performance for that sort of money.

Worse WAF / better TAF (Trainspotter Acceptance Factor).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Andrewjvt said:
newlash09 said:
Was meaning to ask this for sometime, so please bear with me for hijacking this thread for a very short while. Have you heard the ATC scm40A , I gather you rate the 50asl's very highly. Just wanted your perspective on the scm40A's. Thanks

That's no problem
Yes I've heard the scm40s passive and active
Not side by side though and lots of different amplification.

If you already owned a very beefy amp like a tuscana/Hegel h360/electrocomanient etc then I'd settle for the passive
But if selling the lot is go for the active version without hesitation.

Now though
Imo the 40s are only the tip of the iceberg regards ATC capabilities.

Consider the 50asl
10 more litre volume
Higher power amplifier
200w bass 100w mid 50 tweeter.(the tweeter is the s spec tweeter also)
Now this is a far greater step up to true high end.

If looks are not important go for the pro version. Can be had for around 7grand (with discount) minus Vat.
The 100s for about 1500 more.

Or if you want even better value for money look on eBay
Around 4500 for a very good scm100 can be had and will be fully upgradable to current spec.

Name me manufacturers that still service speakers made in the 90s?

Sorry for being pesky. One of my friends recently relocated to shanghai. And as he sold off all his kit before leaving , he auditioned the ATC scm19A & SCM40A for his new system.

I was surprised to know that he preferred the sound of the 19A than the 40A. He was muttering something about the 19A's linear drivers being more punchy and the scm40A being a little sedate. So was wondering if you've heard the 19A's too. And what would be your opinion of the two. Thanks.

He is a rich bloke, and ultimately bought some brooklyn DAC + gryphon diablo 300 + harbeth super HLS 40th anniversary something.....

I've had a similar experience
As your friend when I swapped from scm20asl to asl 50 where the 20 (at first) seemed more lively etc.
But this is a trick of the brain until it accustoms itself for the less strained 3 way presentation.

The 6.5 inch driver has to cover much much information

The 3 way has the dedicated mid range and the bass is covered by the 7 inch bass driver so it's more effortless but definitely not less dynamic or potent.
If you require more info as I'm working ATM let me know don't be shy as I want to wean you off snake oil slowly haha

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
see.. this talk is a mess, why?

someone thinks this is dull, that is lively, more or less potent, enough or too much bass and we all live in different rooms.. dont forget that! plus we all have different taste.. it’s always good to know who’s talking too, what he likes, what he’s background? dealer? music lover? does he likes his music loud? quiet? what music? regular living room? dedicated hifi room?

I could give you few names to look at and leave it with you..

I think kef ls50w are not very good speaker even if at first ( while listening 80s music) I liked them but when I moved to jazz, classical and newer productions with fuller bass there were silly little, overpriced boxes with sound of a regular passive boom box.. but everybody loves them

tbc

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
At most bake-offs, I've found good consensus as to what was the best sounding component or system. Hi-fi's not messy at all in that respect.

newlash09 said:
I am not buying them tomorrow, but do you think the scm40A's will be okay in my 12x22 feet dining room.
Of course mine aren’t the Actives, but our room is c. 7metres x 3.5 metres, so pretty similar. No problem at all, and I listen down the length of the room with the system one end and the listening area about half way back.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Of course mine aren’t the Actives, but our room is c. 7metres x 3.5 metres, so pretty similar. No problem at all, and I listen down the length of the room with the system one end and the listening area about half way back.

I was going to ask what’s your room and how is the bass but I can see it’s bigger.. mine is 6 x 3 meters and irregular ( doors, bay window, french doors, fireplace).. it’s a miracle that anything sounds ok on this room.. but then when I’ve send my umik measurments to more experienced colleague he said that’s a very good graphs without any special room treatments.. but remember, that’s from 6,5 inch midbass..

I’ve had 8 inch woofers and 10 inch sub in this room and bass was overpowering..

dealer or manufacturer demos are meaningless.. home demo is essential.. and better if someone live weeks or months with the speakers to form some valuable opinion..

we’re moving soon.. my dream is to have 6 x 4 or 5 x 7 meters or bigger room so I can buy some 3 way active 12 inch bass wardrobes or 3 way horn monsters..

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
would you like island with storage and pop up flat tv screen, gym aisle and hat rack too?

Have not given it much thought though but seems a little ultra modern for my rustic tastes.

What other ideas do you have?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
that’s not a problem sir.. we can replace flat screen tv with crt tv, gym aisle with burgers avenue and hat rack should be enough rustic already *pardon*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That was some really good feedback :)

After getting used to the scale of floor standers, I would ideally like to stick with them.

The scm40A's fortunately are available for audition in India, and price in comparison with their UK pricing is surprisingly quiet decent.

I will also check out the avi dm10's which have been very highly regarded. But honestly never heard of them before, so not sure if I could find them Here.

@Lindsayt - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately my system sits in the dining and will need a high WAF to get in through the door :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts