Hifi bargains

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Many moons ago I used to only buy brand new hifi equipment. But in the part three years or so. I have been visiting that auction site.

Looking at my current system; my streamer, DAT recorder (Sony DTC 60ES), turntable, phono pre-amp, CD player have all been bought second hand and I have found some real bargains.

How do other feels about buying second hand and have you found any real bargains. eg... I bought a DAT recorder for £400... It went faulty so I sent it back.... however I bought a better player for around £150 which was much better than most prices on the site ... I guess I was lucky.

But I find that if you're willing to buy second hand and patience is excercised. There are some great bargains out there.

What do you think??

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
there loss is my gain, though speakers are a bit hit-and-miss especially those with unprotected metal tweeters

I tend to but from brick and mortar dealers selling on ebay. You pay a touch more but you get a warranty

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I have no qualms at all buying used gear, my last 4 amplifiers have all been so, my current prima luna was a steal at £1700 with the standard pre amp valves and el34 power section valves with a full set of mullard pre amp and kt120's. included in the sale.

Reactions: Al ears and Symples

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Ah yes. I thought I'd heard of it before. So do you download digital files and then record them onto digital tape?

That's crazy talk :D

My plan us to make mix tapes of my vinyl or digitise my vinyl to flac.

I not sure which way will win through.
The DAT makes 'perfect recordings.
It's a luxury item.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
And MD was better (no tape / head wear).....but ultimately not much more successful.

I had DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) which was backward compatible with analogue cassette.

Minidisc saw the end of that.

I also had a minidisc recorder, but after I nought a CD rewriter and void copy a CD jn minutes. The minidisc had to go.

I loved my DCC, but it went faulty.
Got it at a good price as well.

DCC82.jpg

Reactions: Gray
Almost everything in my system is used or ex-dem these days. There's no way I could have afforded it all new! As you say, patience is a virtue here.

The Shure cartridge was an import from the USA because they were discontinued. That was new. The Grado and AKG headphones were new, but I've just bought some NOS Oppo PM3 'phones that I hope to collect this weekend. And I did buy a new CD player for £244 last month - a Tascam CD-200. It has the same transport as the c. £3k players from Primare and ATC. And an AKM DAC. A blooming bargain imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I've actually never bought anything other than cars secondhand (can't see myself ever buying a new car).

Unlike cars, I treat all hi-fi with (ridiculously) obsessive care.
It's never touched by anyone but me - never any pets, 'better' halves, children, smoking.
Looks as new after decades.
I'm a good one to buy from.

I'm amazed when I look at the state of some of the stuff people put up for sale, described with the likes of, 'excellent condition, only signs of normal use'
NO, NO, NO, as Thatcher would have said.

Good to see that people here have done well with SH hi-fi buying though - saves a lot of money.
Having said that, much of my new stuff has been bought with substantial discounts on the RRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I also had a minidisc recorder, but after I nought a CD rewriter and void copy a CD jn minutes. The minidisc had to go.
I've still got Philips' first CD recorder - got it in 1998.
For me, 24 years ago, there was something really special about being able to make perfect copies of CDs (and analogue sources).
These days that capability is taken for granted by everyone 😏

Reactions: Symples

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Neat Motive Sx2 speakers for £850 be sure if a tiny scratch on the top of one of them. It's not a deep scratch and you'd never know it was there if I didn't point it out. Great bargain.

matthewpianist

I've been terrible at finding and buying bargains, and it has cost me dear - some buyers have done very well out of me on stuff which has been little used and in as-new condition. It's always been a stretch for me and I can't afford or justify it. As funds allow I'm assembling a system that fits our needs, but I'm buying new because I'm looking at a 5-year minimum commitment to buying no more hi-fi.

I have sometimes bought used kit, and the one thing I will be keeping no matter what (although it will be unused for now) is my little Sansui AU-2200 amplifier. It's a gem from 1975 and I managed to secure one in timewarp condition complete with manual for a very low price.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Symples

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

I've been terrible at finding and buying bargains, and it has cost me dear - some buyers have done very well out of me on stuff which has been little used and in as-new condition. It's always been a stretch for me and I can't afford or justify it. As funds allow I'm assembling a system that fits our needs, but I'm buying new because I'm looking at a 5-year minimum commitment to buying no more hi-fi.

I have sometimes bought used kit, and the one thing I will be keeping no matter what (although it will be unused for now) is my little Sansui AU-2200 amplifier. It's a gem from 1975 and I managed to secure one in timeworn condition complete with manual for a very low price.

I find that it's patience that is needed when looking for a bargain.

Take ebay as an example.
You can search for any item and more importantly. Be alerted when that item becomes available.

That's how I was able to get my turntable and DAT recorder t a good price.

I do find there are greedy people selling, but if you jeep an eye on their item. If doesn't sell.

Patience my young palawan.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I'm amazed when I look at the state of some of the stuff people put up for sale, described with the likes of, 'excellent condition, only signs of normal use'
NO, NO, NO, as Thatcher would have said.

I can concur on that point.
I was looking at my first hifi cassette deck. JVC KD D4 ( i think)

I wanted to purchase it to celebrate 40 years of hifi recording.

If cost £120 in 1982

One was for sale. Fast forward and rewind a bit sticky, powe lead cut, machine looked a state,..... but otherwise OK! :D :D :D :D :D

The joker wanted £95
He'd be lucky to get a tenner for it.

Some gear for sale is in excellent condition, but what gets me is when people try and sell dirty cack and say it's in "Good condition"

Subjective I suppose......

I wish I had saved the advert

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS