Hifi Advice Needed; Budget of £3k

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Probably the sort of topic your all fed up of but here goes all the same;

Looking to put a stereo together on a budget of £3000 ($6k US), I would be looking for a decent set of speakers, amp, and one digital source as I’d prefer to rip CD’s directly to a hard disk (128kbs sound ok?… just kidding). I have a laptop if it’s needed. Room size, think standard Victorian terrace front room. I have fairly eclectic tastes in music, anything goes from classical through to rock and some dance.

I wouldn’t know where to start but just want to get some feeling for what I could put together and how I might split the money between components.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

You're in the US I'm guessing? Find a good proper dealer and listen to some things. Then report back on what you liked and didn't. Until then we'd all be shooting in the dark.

6 Large US... try hitting the usual suspects: Primare, Naim, Musical Fidelity, Exposure, Creek et al. And any speakers 2-3 k (there's more speaker manufacturers than stars in the sky). (Should spend 1/3 to a half of your moneys on speakers IMHO.)

But yeah, until we can guage what your ear likes (warm, bright, musical, critical etc) this would be fairly chaotic.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback, based in UK. An AV shop would seem the best 'first' port of call but i generally like to have some background understanding of what i am getting into before taking the salesmans word.

A

Anonymous

Ahh. Well the rule of thumb is:

Never listen to salesmen.

That's coming from a salesman who's friends are salesmen.
I'd say try and locate a the nearest dealer that has the best selection of things from this list (this list indicates popular go-to hifi brands):
Monitor Audio
B&W
Naim
Musical Fidelity
Primare
Proac
Dynaudio
NAD
Rotel
Epos
Totem
Exposure
Cyrus
PMC
Mordaunt Short
Audiolab
Marantz
etcetera

Anyway, go to whichever shop is within striking distance that has the most things off of that list and listen to everything and make note of what you liked and what you didn't. And why you liked it.

If I missed any makes please don't be offended guys!

T

the record spot

I'd decide what source you'd like, then what it partners well with. Budgeting is a trickier affair now than it used to be; but my take on spending £1500 on speakers leaves you short on some excellent and more expensive sources or amps, yet there are many stupendously good speakers out there on the £750-£1000 bracket.

Leaving yourself to £700 amps and speakers is letting yourself come up short. There are some truly great CD players at £1000, even better if you call in the used market too. Think Unison Research, Eastern Electric or the like. Some very warmly received sources there and well worth your time checking them out.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you want a good allround solid state system I'd suggest Cyrus8vs2, matching player (an updated version is imminent), PSX to amplifier and Rega R3's for a small/medium or R5's for a medium room.

Alternatively, Puresound A30, Rega Apollo and Ruark Sabre III or ProAc Studio Series.

Both will leave you some cash for cables etc.

A

Anonymous

CD - Creek Classic
Amp - Sugden A21a
Speakers - Focal Chorus 816V
On budget and sounds sublime!

A

Anonymous

Hi Morpeth,

If you are in the northeast - (guess based on your username) and looking for a HiFi dealer, I have recently made a purchase at Newcastle HiFi in Kenton and was very pleased.

I don't work there or anything just found them to provide better service than other dealers in the area, I bought a CD player and told the guy I would be looking to buy some speakers in the near future and was offerred a 1-week home demo straight away. My budget is no where near yours but they do have some high-end stuff like Linn. The shop seems to focus on hifi equipment rather than AV.

Hope you enjoy your new system - I'm sure you will for that kind of money.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Morpeth"]Looking to put a stereo together on a budget of £3000 [/quote]

Benchmark DAC 1 (£700) or Musical Fidelity X-DAC V8 with USB input for your laptop, Musical fidelity A5 (Ex-demo for £900, plenty about but be quick as it is very poppular) and lastly a pair of PMC GB1s. Job done and should last you for long time without upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback, I will pay a visit to the above shop and a few others (spot on with the location by the way, my forum name is not too imaginative), should i mention your name and see if we can work out a discount! ;-)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Morpeth"]
Thanks for the feedback, I will pay a visit to the above shop and a few others (spot on with the location by the way, my forum name is not too imaginative), should i mention your name and see if we can work out a discount! ;-)

[/quote]

Nice to here from a fellow 'thumbrian, I also find listening to good quality music offers a refreshing escape from an often miserable existence in this bleak, forgotten, corner of the country.

If you want to mention me at the shop I am Mr Saint who bought the Marantz amplifier the other week. One of my speakers failed a couple of days later so I have made an emergency purchase on Ebay so it will be a little while before I go back with the funds for the MA RS1s.

As I said before my budget is not as much as yours but there are lots of people on here who know there stuff when it comes to higher-end kit.

We'll probably bump into eachother soon in one of those "Eeeh it's a small world, isn't it?" situations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts