Hidden treasure off the beaten track?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Neil Tennant once said that all bands have, if they're lucky, one song or album that's well known beyond their own fanbase. Theirs being West End Girls, REM's Losing My Religion, Marillion's Kayeigh etc. Which songs or albums, mostly only known by fans of a well known act, would folks here deem worthy of investigation. Not willfully obscure artists but less well known stuff by famous names.My current mild obsession is the Southpaw Grammar LP by Salford's laureate, Morrissey. Released in 1995, when "indie" had gone mainstream and Brit-pop wars raged between Blur & Oasis, this noisy, guitar-drenched missive from the wilderness contains many great moments. Bookended by two ten minute tracks referencing both Shostakovich and Albert Finney and containing the most feral squawks from his band of tattooed wonders, it's great. Different enough to be virtually ignored on release but worth tracking down over a decade later. Anymore hymns to discovery out there?

A

Anonymous

fantastic question but oh so hard to answer! just a few suggestions here but not sure how 'hidden' they are:

Public Enemy Fear of a Black Planet ( to this day the most important hip hop album ever made imo)

The Amps ( On 4aD Kim Deals project after the Breeders last splash LP)

Boo Radleys 'giant steps' psychedelic pop at its finest

Kruder and Dorfmeister K+D sessions ( brilliant! even has a remix of Depeche mode which my dad likes)

others that are well known throughout (i think)

portisheads 'dummy, Bjorks 'debut' ,Blurs' parklife, Smashing pumpkins ' siamese dream'
Schneidermann laying Bach's Partita violin solo on you tube.

Air - 10000 Hz and ' Virgin Suicides' soundtrack

so many!!!!! please let me know what u think :)

A

Anonymous

"You'll never walk again" by Gene. Not sure if this fell into the "virtually ignored" category, but the band teetered on the brink of world-dominating success before going home for a nice of tea instead. The track was initially released on the "Revelations" album, but you could do a lot worse than picking it up as part of the best of compilation "As good as it gets".

Edit: And here it is to listen to, legal and everything. Isn't the internet great?
http://www.last.fm/music/Gene/_/You'll+Never+Walk+Again

A

Anonymous

oh one i forgot (many) Drugstore's EL presidente (with Thome Yorke) awesome!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"]Kruder and Dorfmeister K+D sessions ( brilliant! even has a remix of Depeche mode which my dad likes)[/quote]
Hmm, I really like that remix too, which is making me worried. How old is your dad?

A

Anonymous

not that old. lol. ur as young as u feel and all that...............

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"]oh one i forgot (many) Drugstore's EL presidente (with Thome Yorke) awesome![/quote]

Radiohead, I believe, are the biggest contributers to the music industry ever. Their music NEVER ages. It remains perfect, unique and it is the only band which really moves me. There must be alot of you out there (especially musicians) that get that feeling when music is just "right", when the harmonies are just "perfect" and when the melody is just "genius"...and then you wonder why noone has done it before.

To this day, Karma Police by Radiohead remains the only ever song to make me cry PERIOD, and that's because it is THE perfect song. Try it, if you havn't heard it before, and if you have...listen to it again LOUD. The ending is sublime. It is pure genius.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]Public Enemy Fear of a Black Planet[/quote]

Wondrous stuff. Words and beats sublimely melded. Likewise Paul's Boutique by The Beastie Boys. Their second album was a complete, some say welcome, departure from Licensed to Ill's comedy-rap-metal thing. It's the one album by them I can't live without. A collaboration with the Dust Brothers, it really floats my space shuttle, so to speak.[quote user="JAXON5"]The Amps ( On 4aD Kim Deals project after the Breeders last splash LP)

Boo Radleys 'giant steps' psychedelic pop at its finest

Kruder and Dorfmeister K+D sessions ( brilliant! even has a remix of Depeche mode which my dad likes)

[/quote]

Will investigate accordingly. I loved The Pixies but never went any further with associated projects, so will sniff out The Amps.[quote user="JAXON5"]Air - 10000 Hz and ' Virgin Suicides' [/quote]

Fantastic sounds, textural music and great system testers to boot.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]To this day, Karma Police by Radiohead remains the only ever song to make me cry PERIOD,[/quote]

Great to hear how music moves someone so much. And that's the point really isn't it. There's one song, above all others, that has that effect for me: The Way That He Sings by My Morning Jacket. Euphoric without being triumphalist, mesmeric without being needlessly complex.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
My Morrissey obsession led to a less significant but enjoyable flirtation with Gene. Despite/because of Martin Rossiter's occasional Larry the Lamb vocal cadences, they were a much underrated band. Cursed/blessed by comparisons with The Smiths.[quote user="tractorboy"]"You'll never walk again" by Gene[/quote] Top track!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="JAXON5"]oh one i forgot (many) Drugstore's EL presidente (with Thome Yorke) awesome![/quote]

Radiohead, I believe, are the biggest contributers to the music industry ever. Their music NEVER ages. It remains perfect, unique and it is the only band which really moves me. There must be alot of you out there (especially musicians) that get that feeling when music is just "right", when the harmonies are just "perfect" and when the melody is just "genius"...and then you wonder why noone has done it before.

To this day, Karma Police by Radiohead remains the only ever song to make me cry PERIOD, and that's because it is THE perfect song. Try it, if you havn't heard it before, and if you have...listen to it again LOUD. The ending is sublime. It is pure genius.[/quote]

Do you know, for a minute there, I lost myself....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Do you know, for a minute there, I lost myself....[/quote]

Awww, I'm embaressed now. : )

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]There's one song, above all others, that has that effect for me: The Way That He Sings by My Morning Jacket. Euphoric without being triumphalist, mesmeric without being needlessly complex.[/quote]

That's a superb song also. The ultimate live concert song!

T

the record spot

They only did two albums and were never heard of again, but Jepp's self-titled debut album was extremely good. Very lo-fi, a little bit angst, mingled with a driving pulse on the opener (Bowling Night), the wistful romance of a relationship with the married man in "The Guy I'd Like to Marry" and the single "Parsons Green". Three of a truly solid and underrated album that deserves a wider audience.

I first heard of them lying in Princes Street gardens one afternoon during the Edinburgh Fringe, the giant screen that was up in the Ross Bandstand played the Parsons Green video and I was hooked from there.

Check out the secondhand CD racks - there are several knocking around the bargain used bins and its' well worth finding. The follow-up album doesn't fare quite as well alas and I've not heard anything new from them in a good 8 years or so. Great first effort though.

T

the record spot

You could do worse than clap hands on Izzy Stradlin's solo albums - either the Izzy Stradlin And the JuJu Hounds LP or his follow up "River" album. Both feature great material, rocky, but less wild than G'n'R. Finely crafted songs and a good rich vocal to front up some truly excellent music.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indoor Fireworks- Elvis Costello (not only an amazing song, but a superb recording)

Tomorrow is a long time - Elvis Presley (Bob Dylan's favourite cover version of any of his songs)

Free World- Kirsty MacColl (RIP)

Sugar Town - Nancy Sinatra (impossible to feel bad while listening to this song).

2000 Light Years from Home - Rolling Stones (far out, man)

So Cruel - U2 (crushing lyrics)

Zerox - Adam and the Ants (pre the warpaint)

A

Anonymous

Here's a few:

Sinead O'Connor - The Lion & The Cobra (especially Jackie, and Troy), and Sean Nos Nua
David Gray - Sell, Sell, Sell and Lost Songs
Crowded House - Any of their back catalogue, or Neil Finn solo albums
Nina Simone - Black is the colour... and Ne me quitte pas
Sparks - Hello young lovers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Neil Tennant once said that all bands have, if they're lucky, one song or album that's well known beyond their own fanbase. Theirs being West End Girls, REM's Losing My Religion, Marillion's Kayeigh etc. Which songs or albums, mostly only known by fans of a well known act, would folks here deem worthy of investigation. Not willfully obscure artists but less well known stuff by famous names.
My current mild obsession is the Southpaw Grammar LP by Salford's laureate, Morrissey. Released in 1995, when "indie" had gone mainstream and Brit-pop wars raged between Blur & Oasis, this noisy, guitar-drenched missive from the wilderness contains many great moments. Bookended by two ten minute tracks referencing both Shostakovich and Albert Finney and containing the most feral squawks from his band of tattooed wonders, it's great. Different enough to be virtually ignored on release but worth tracking down over a decade later.

Anymore hymns to discovery out there?
[/quote]

Just remembered a couple.

Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Out of Season ( Post Portishead Dummy) - sublime, nostalgic. bona fide masterpiece!!

Aphex Twin - Window licker ( utterly amazing to this day, maverick yes, genius absolutely!!)

Boards of Canada - Skam EP

To know him is to love him/ no other arms, no other lips On compilation. The Chordettes (ok was popular but 50yrs ago!!!!)

Marissa Nadler: Songs 3 Bird on the water ( american folk indie) my current fave. if u like Mazzy Star u will love this.

thats it 4 now!!!!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Without going obscure..

Try 'Black' by Pearl Jam

One of the bestestest songs ever...

BLACK - LIVE

[/quote]

thats not obscure, thats a wonderful, beautiful song from a great album (ten).
emotion-11.gif

for anyone who's only heard the red hot chili peppers recent stuff, blood sugar sex magic. or rage against the machines first album.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]/quote]

Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Out of Season[/quote]

My partner introduced me to this one, in an attempt to redress the male bias in my listening; it worked. Great choice, Mr Jaxon. [quote user="JAXON5"]Aphex Twin - Window licker[/quote] Just used this in a theatre production. The sound of a man fighting his inner robot?[quote user="JAXON5"]

Marissa Nadler: Songs 3 Bird on the water [/quote]Will check this out and track down my lost-in-the-attic Mazzy Star albums too.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="browelly"]
Crowded House - Any of their back catalogue, or Neil Finn solo albums

[/quote]

Good shout - an incredible catalogue of songwriting. So sad that most people will know them only for (IMHO) one of their worst songs, Weather with You....

T

the record spot

The "Best of" collection is a turntable test LP for me - WWY being a good test track funnily enough! - the guitar picking and the underlying bass makes a decent workout and lets me work out how well the treble, bass and instrument separation are all handled by a deck (or cartridge).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="JAXON5"]/quote]

Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Out of Season[/quote]

My partner introduced me to this one, in an attempt to redress the male bias in my listening; it worked. Great choice, Mr Jaxon. [quote user="JAXON5"]Aphex Twin - Window licker[/quote] Just used this in a theatre production. The sound of a man fighting his inner robot?[quote user="JAXON5"]

Marissa Nadler: Songs 3 Bird on the water [/quote]Will check this out and track down my lost-in-the-attic Mazzy Star albums too.[/quote]

Enjoy the records (hopefully). Just a few more that are asking me to mention them

underworld - rez/ cowgirl ( i love this , got this on 12'' )

the past is a grotesque animal ( on Hissing Fauna's LP Are you the Destroyer? - bloomin neck when i first heard this i didnt couldn't believe it. it reminded me of the Violent Femmes ( new band really to me, i missed them first time around!)

Stereolab's 'mars audiac quintet maybe? '

Just one more! Beirut gulag orkestar and 'Flying cup'

ok thats it 4 now lol let me know what u think cheers!

A

Anonymous

oops mistake! i meant the track ' the past is a grotesque animal album: Hissing fauna are u the destroyer. Band Of montreal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts