Hidden gems /bang for buck

AJM1981

The TV screen in the master bedroom is 'ok' as a screen but has in terms of sound the worst possible among TV's.

So I was searching around for a nice amp with speakers last year. Now in coronatimes having anything tested is not really an option.

I ended up reading some reviews about the low profile 75 euro Madison Mad BS4 which someone wrote about to have bought them for fun but ended up replacing his branded speakers. If it would carry Kef or B&W they would have sold for a higher price.

And I totally agree, this is quality stuff. Bit bright perhaps, but bright as in LS50 bright. I don't really mind that.

Anyway, for this price and this speaker you can't go wrong.

Any other examples?

Last edited:
The TV screen in the master bedroom is 'ok' as a screen but has in terms of sound the worst possible among TV's.

So I was searching around for a nice amp with speakers last year. Now in coronatimes having anything tested is not really an option.

I ended up reading some reviews about the low profile 75 euro Madison Mad BS4 which someone wrote about to have bought them for fun but ended up replacing his branded speakers. If it would carry Kef or B&W they would have sold for a higher price.

And I totally agree, this is quality stuff. Bit bright perhaps, but bright as in LS50 bright. I don't really mind that.

Anyway, for this price and this speaker you can't go wrong.

Any other examples?
are you referring just to speakers?

Gray

Anything goes, as long it fits this sub forum..
OK then, here (once again) is my ultimate 'bang for buck' DAC bargain.
I paid £100 and put it in my own metal case (just meant drilling 6 holes).
It's now available for £85 or £90 including a pre-drilled acrylic case (which sells separately for £15):
Great USB DAC for PC or RPi. Coax input gives new life to old CDP / DVD.
You can buy it (minus the coax input) in a fancy metal case if you want - for around 3x the price.
But I very much doubt you can buy a better DAC for £90 inc. case.

Reactions: AJM1981

Gray

....I thought a single DAC was good for £85.

But look what you get here for a quid less.
(Maplin were selling lesser mixers (complete with a bit of hiss and hum) for £100+ 30 years ago).
The parts alone would cost more to make this yourself.
For those that need them, the functions on offer here.....this is bang for buck:

Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts