HiBy FC1 or portable DAC

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I was looking for a cheap DAC to improve the quality over my S10e onboard dac (Exynos). I've been looking for something that has Android and Windows support, and that it is not very big. I found the HiBy FC1 for 35 dollars or 29 euros on Aliexpress. Seems like a good deal to me, I have heard that their DAPs are really good. For my streaming service, I use Tidal, it's only hires option available in my country. There is another option, the HiBy FC3 pro with MQA support (not sure about the overall improvemente) , but I'm kind of skeptical since the ESS chip is slightly different. Is it worth the upgrade, would I notice with a budget system?

D

Deleted member 188533

Those little dongles are for headphones. Are they better than a phone? I don't know.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Those little dongles are for headphones. Are they better than a phone? I don't know.
I know that, I'm kind of confused. I have read articles that mention that 5 dollar dacs sound as good as 1000 dollar dacs. My "system" referred to my headphones and desktop speakers that have 3.5 mm cable.

D

Deleted member 188533

My experience with DACs is they keep getting better as they get more expensive. Up to where I don't know because I just don't have the listening experience with multiple higher end products.

You can have flavor DACs or neutral DACs or bright DACs or warm DACs etc etc...... But general transparency, separation and staging get better as price goes up.

Could a $5 DAC 'sound' as good as a $1000 DAC.....maybe? But probably only if the only criteria was liking the sound.

D

Deleted member 116933

I know that, I'm kind of confused. I have read articles that mention that 5 dollar dacs sound as good as 1000 dollar dacs. My "system" referred to my headphones and desktop speakers that have 3.5 mm cable.

Now you're getting into the territory of pirates and parrots. Be careful what you read and take everything with a very large pinch of salt, There's more to it than 1's and 0s and the chips.

I can assure you £$20-30 quid dac is not going to sound the same as 1k one and the differences is not the chips (mostly). In this world, you do generally get what you pay for.

My best advice is to forget the chip inside it really doesn't matter especially at this price point.

If a $35 dac is all you can afford then there your only options and sweating the "what if's" is completely irrelevant.

But if that budget has been self-imposed by someone's ramblings online then i think those ramblings and that forum is pretty toxic and i'd stay well away from it.

There some great little DAC's on the second-hand market like the Cyrus sound key that i found 30 quid here at the moment.

But if that, what sounds like a self-imposed budget from toxic forum, can rise to around 100-300 (not saying you have to spend that) this will open a whole world of options for you from the audio drogonflys to very very impressive and flexable and chord mojo. (Heaphone amp and preamp all rolled into one) and everything in between.

Friesiansam

I know that, I'm kind of confused. I have read articles that mention that 5 dollar dacs sound as good as 1000 dollar dacs.
I've also read articles claiming that sub 50 quid headphones are indistinguishable from ones costing many hundreds, or more.

Completely ignore such claims, the people making them have either never listened to high-end kit or, are keyboard warriors trying to stir things up for their own fun.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I've also read articles claiming that sub 50 quid headphones are indistinguishable from ones costing many hundreds, or more.

Completely ignore such claims, the people making them have either never listened to high-end kit or, are keyboard warriors trying to stir things up for their own fun.
For me, the most important part of any system is the speakers. The DAC is also important, but I have read that when people complain about cheap dacs, they say they're underpowered. I think they're taking about the amp and that's completely different.

My headphones don't need a lot of powered so I think It's kind a pointless. I'm just 17, so I have a great advantage over many audiophiles.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Now you're getting into the territory of pirates and parrots. Be careful what you read and take everything with a very large pinch of salt, There's more to it than 1's and 0s and the chips.

I can assure you £$20-30 quid dac is not going to sound the same as 1k one and the differences is not the chips (mostly). In this world, you do generally get what you pay for.

My best advice is to forget the chip inside it really doesn't matter especially at this price point.

If a $35 dac is all you can afford then there your only options and sweating the "what if's" is completely irrelevant.

But if that budget has been self-imposed by someone's ramblings online then i think those ramblings and that forum is pretty toxic and i'd stay well away from it.

There some great little DAC's on the second-hand market like the Cyrus sound key that i found 30 quid here at the moment.

But if that, what sounds like a self-imposed budget from toxic forum, can rise to around 100-300 (not saying you have to spend that) this will open a whole world of options for you from the audio drogonflys to very very impressive and flexable and chord mojo. (Heaphone amp and preamp all rolled into one) and everything in between.
Totally, I think DACs are the most polarizing audiophile products in the audiophile forums (and MQA). Some users mentions these graphics about the sound and how is technically (some dacs are) superior, so I every time I read and article I feel confused. I really don't want to spend a lot on a DAC.

Gray

Could a $5 DAC 'sound' as good as a $1000 DAC.....maybe? But probably only if the only criteria was liking the sound.
I read about a test somewhere where a £20 and £2000 DAC were played blindly to a panel of listeners - who couldn't tell which they were listening to.
Can anyone imagine that scenario with speakers or headphones?

D

Deleted member 116933

Totally, I think DACs are the most polarizing audiophile products in the audiophile forums (and MQA). Some users mentions these graphics about the sound and how is technically (some dacs are) superior, so I every time I read and article I feel confused. I really don't want to spend a lot on a DAC.

They are indeed and are certainly up there with cables. But people think of them as just the chipsets. MQA for me I'm just not worried about as only on place uses it and the most popular streaming service is about to go CD quality (Spotify) so I wouldn't base my purchase decision on a format which at this moment in time is a non-starter. If MQA were a physical format it would be akin to mini disc good but never really got out the gate.

Ok. Well if you must go portable them it's worth getting one that's pretty robust build wise, as you'll be buying twice in the long term, so if you can stretch to a dragonfly (whichever colour is the cheapest one) that would be great then just be safe in the knowledge you have one of the best DACs on the market.

If you want one for home and you want to connect other things like a TV and so on a Schitt Modi will be really good. and if you want to do only headphone listening, a Ifi Zen.

They should all do the trick. But it's completely up to you, i can't comment on the ones you have listed as i have no experience with them. But i generally do think its worth spend just that list bit extra if you can.

I hope that help you out a little and has given you some food for thought

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts