Hi would ma silver 50s be a significant upgrade from ma bronze 2?

Unfortunately not in a position to audition. Have heard some good reviews about the ma bronze 2s but regarding the silver 50s not much out there.
In that case you pay your money and take your chance, particularly if you are looking at changing amp as well.
I guess, if you don't like them, you can always sell them on.
There have been many a case, on paper, where what should be an upgrade turns out to be anything but.

Hi everybody, was thinking about upgrading my speakers to the ma silver 50s and upgrading my Yamaha as500 to the audiolab 6000a…would love some feedback
No idea about the most recent MAs but have heard the RS6 with older Audiolab and it just sounded wrong: too mechanical or analytical for my taste.

MAs in general, regardless of age, tend to work best with lively but natural sounding amps, such as Arcam, Roksan, Creek, Audio Analogue, Leema, older NAD

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
No idea about the most recent MAs but have heard the RS6 with older Audiolab and it just sounded wrong: too mechanical or analytical for my taste.

MAs in general, regardless of age, tend to work best with lively but natural sounding amps, such as Arcam, Roksan, Creek, Audio Analogue, Leema, older NAD
Hi thanks for that, but after doing some research have decided to get Rega brio as I mostly listen to vinyl, still undecided which speakers though…heard the b&w 606 may be a good match?

Hi thanks for that, but after doing some research have decided to get Rega brio as I mostly listen to vinyl, still undecided which speakers though…heard the b&w 606 may be a good match?
What's your current amp, and why do you feel the need to change?

Regarding B&W speakers, They are not my fav -- they can be tricky to get the right synergy with amplification.

If you are serious about a change, look at Rotel with Bowers and Wilkins - it's the one combo that compliments each other. Otherwise look at a safer speaker (relatively speaking). There are plenty that fall into the same price bracket. The likes of Dali, Dynaudio, Focal etc etc. Personally prefer these as all-rounder over affordable B&Ws.

Please don't take my word for it, you may like the Bowers...you'll only know with a demo

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
What's your current amp, and why do you feel the need to change?

Regarding B&W speakers, They are not my fav -- they can be tricky to get the right synergy with amplification.

If you are serious about a change, look at Rotel with Bowers and Wilkins - it's the one combo that compliments each other. Otherwise look at a safer speaker (relatively speaking). There are plenty that fall into the same price bracket. The likes of Dali, Dynaudio, Focal etc etc. Personally prefer these as all-rounder over affordable B&Ws.

Please don't take my word for it, you may like the Bowers...you'll only know with a demo
My current amp is a Yamaha as500 but feel it’s a bit bright and the Rega brio has a better phono stage I believe. I’m also not convinced with the b&ws…am tempted by the ma silver 50s as the 100s sadly outside my budget.

My current amp is a Yamaha as500 but feel it’s a bit bright and the Rega brio has a better phono stage I believe. I’m also not convinced with the b&ws…am tempted by the ma silver 50s as the 100s sadly outside my budget.
Heard that exact model about 4 years ago. He uses KEF R300 and that balances the liveliness. Sounded rather good to my ears. I know a used pair might be outside your budget, but the R100 should do the trick. Affordable Yam + KEF Rs are a very good combo.

This person uses a newer, budget-friendly Thorens turntable. In isolation it sounded impressive for the price bracket.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Heard that exact model about 4 years ago. He uses KEF R300 and that balances the liveliness. Sounded rather good to my ears. I know a used pair might be outside your budget, but the R100 should do the trick. Affordable Yam + KEF Rs are a very good combo.

This person uses a newer, budget-friendly Thorens turntable. In isolation it sounded impressive for the price bracket.
Cheers for that will check out the KEFs 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts