Question Hi Res Audi Player vs iPhone/DAC

LBMassive

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I’m thinking of getting a Sony NW-A306 hi res audio player.
Or as an alternative was thinking of getting a DAC for my iPhone (currently iPhone 11 Pro but will upgrade to the 15 when out in September).

Anyone have a view?

Many thanks

Hi,

Or as an alternative was thinking of getting a DAC for my iPhone (currently iPhone 11 Pro but will upgrade to the 15 when out in September).

Anyone have a view?

Many thanks
How much storage does that iPhone have?
Storage and dac quality are the main reasons for getting a hires player as is the ability to fit various wired headphones (balanced etc.)

Reactions: Symples

LBMassive

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
How much storage does that iPhone have?
Storage and dac quality are the main reasons for getting a hires player as is the ability to fit various wired headphones (balanced etc.)
Current phone only 64GB but would get much bigger when I upgrade if going down that route

Current phone only 64GB but would get much bigger when I upgrade if going down that route
Ok. Much greater storage available on DMPs if hires files being downloaded.
Can your iPhone take wired headphones?
If it can its pretty much down to you.
Ignore that..... Irrelevant if you're getting a DAC but don't see why you need one as there's one inside your phone....
I prefer a DMP as everything is in one piece of equipment and generally they have excellent DACs and can often stream music as well.

jjbomber

Hi,

Anyone have a view?

Many thanks
Get the Sony Xperia phone. Two birds, one stone. Not only the best sounding phone, but a wired output for headphones as well.

Reactions: Rodolfo and Al ears
Get the Sony Xperia phone. Two birds, one stone. Not only the best sounding phone, but a wired output for headphones as well.
listening to music on your phone is great, until someone actually phones you..... :)
Get a DMP, much better dacs and superior storage / battery life.
If I am out to get some serious photographs I don't take them on my phone......

Johnn Peter

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone have a view?

Many thanks
You could go for the Sony NW-A306 if you are serious about music. If you want a cheaper alternative, just get a DAC since 11pro has a C Type Charging Port and Im sure you will be able to use it for the 15 too when it releases. Getting a Sony Audio Player would be an additional gadget you should carry along wherever and whenever but it surely is worth it.

Reactions: jjbomber

Vincent Kars

Anyone have a view?
Yeah, but if it is of help is another one.
I recently got a Samsung A54. Major reason: you can insert a 1 TB micro SD. This allows me to have my entire audio collection on it. Even off line ( airplane) I can listen to all I have.
Combined it with the Onkyo HF player so now I can play even 24/96 using a USB dongle.
Not that I can hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 but somehow I like the idea.

Reactions: Al ears

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Switch it off? I'd just turn it down. :)
Actually, with the right earbuds or headphones, such as either from Soundcore or Surface headphones, each of which has multi-point-connection capacity, wouldn't the device, with integrated mic, switch automatically? I know these work with a PC and phone, and I'd guess they would between a DAP and phone as well.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Get an LG V60 and you have both
Or any of the V series, back to the V10, each of which had integrated DACs: I have two V20s and a V30. Sony, as suggested above, like Samsung, still offers audio jacks and SD card expansion , but only LG's Vs offered the built-in DAC. The V series also had superior mics, etc. for recording concerts, etc. so nicely.

Note, however, that the V.s' DACs only kick in when the phones detect a connection to relatively high-impedance headphones or earbuds.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Or any of the V series, back to the V10, each of which had integrated DACs: I have two V20s and a V30. Sony, as suggested above, like Samsung, still offers audio jacks and SD card expansion , but only LG's Vs offered the built-in DAC. The V series also had superior mics, etc. for recording concerts, etc. so nicely.

Note, however, that the V.s' DACs only kick in when the phones detect a connection to relatively high-impedance headphones or earbuds.
Editing myself, now that I've achieved "Well-known member" status: First, I'm acknowledging that all smartphones and devices that reproduce music, can do so only because they all have "integrated DACs" -though there are plainer and fancier DACs; and second, while my Samsung S10e, thankfully, has an audio jack and SD card slot, (all?) newer?/current Samsung phones now also lack these features. Thus, as jjbomber notes above, Sony is still the best advanced media and Music-enabling truly-smart phone option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts