Hi, need help finding the right setup?

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I love listening to music (and watching movies). this is my setup, DENON AVR 4700H and a pair of WHARFEDALE EVO 4.4. I currently just using my iphone or ipad to play music via Bluetooth from apple music. But is that the best way I can get the best sound? Or how can i make sure I get the best sound possible? Is the blutooth version on the DENON to old? playing via blutooth any good at all?
I am sorry for the newbi questions.
What would I need to get the best sound possible?

Thank you n advance

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for that. Tried. Sounds good. How about a connected solution? Will that be even better? Or is this the best setup? Does my iPhone gives me high res audio?? I’ve read so many things online, saying I should connect a DAC or whatever!? What is the best setup now to get best hifi sound? We don’t use cds anymore, so I guess streaming will be the way to go…

Thank you

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Stereo amp for sure, but I’m watching a lot if movies too, connected with a nvidia shield tv pro, with hdmi so I need the hdmi ports for the avr amp

Thanks for that

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Just main speakers. Going to get a sub, but for now nothing thinking about full surround system. But I have no idea how I can connect hdmi to a stereo amp, that’s not much options out there really. So I went with the denon. I would have preferred a stereo amp, but since I really need to connect hdmi to it, and will at least use a sub too, avr amps are the only option..

Anyway, still wondering what is the best option for audio hifi quality, since streaming is my main source for music. Will connecting a DAC through my iPhone to my avr best the best result? Or what should I do? Or is airplay 2 already good? It does sound really good, but can it get better?? Sorry to ask so much

Stereo amp for sure, but I’m watching a lot if movies too, connected with a nvidia shield tv pro, with hdmi so I need the hdmi ports for the avr amp

Thanks for that
There are such things as stereo receivers which have hdmi and indeed sub-out functions (like the Marantz Nr 1200)
Depending on your budget one of these might be better suited.

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
OMG never really thought about the optical out from the TV. My denon isnt that old, my sell it and get a straight stereo amp instead.

I like DENON, might get a stereo Denon AMP.
Need to check if my TV has optical out...
Thank you for that.
So optical out will give me good sound? Equal to the HDMI sound? Sorry for all those newbee Questions

jjbomber

Alternative 2 is to get the new Apple TV 4K and stream itunes through that. The output would be digital to the AVR. The advantage is that you would then use the superior DAC in the Denon.

As for the amp, keep what you've got. There won't be any improvement in sound. An AVR amplifies sound in exactly the same way, whether it's a film or a film soundtrack. Yes, the AVR will cost more, as there's more channels. However you have a really good AVR there and would need to spend thousands to get an improvement. OK, you have an excellent AVR.

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
I think I might just do that too. I’m reading so much everywhere about this and that, and wondered if I was missing out. But yea, might not hear much difference. Already sounds pretty amazing.

And if I’m not wrong, streaming or downloaded music from Apple Music is already better than CDs, which is my reference for good sound. Maybe I should just be content with my system….

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Blusound power node will be your friend in this situation has an hdmi input and if you wish the to add a subwoofer for movies in the future you can hi pass it. Not many 2 channel amps allow this. The blu OS software is very good about the only thing it can’t do connect to apple music directly but no one can.

But will cost money as with everything but it’s a one stop shop with no extra fuss or boxes.

Sonos do a very similar product as well.

Blusound power node will be your friend in this situation has an hdmi input and if you wish the to add a subwoofer for movies in the future you can hi pass it. Not many 2 channel amps allow this. The blu OS software is very good about the only thing it can’t do connect to apple music directly but no one can.

But will cost money as with everything but it’s a one stop shop with no extra fuss or boxes.

Sonos do a very similar product as well.
Not sure why he would need to spend that money on a Powernode when there are cheaper stereo amps and / or receivers that would do, especially if he only wants to use his Apple devices.

jjbomber

I think I might just do that too. I’m reading so much everywhere about this and that, and wondered if I was missing out. But yea, might not hear much difference. Already sounds pretty amazing.

And if I’m not wrong, streaming or downloaded music from Apple Music is already better than CDs, which is my reference for good sound. Maybe I should just be content with my system….
Airplay 2 will give you CD quality (16 bit, 441,) while Apple TV 4K will give you 24 bit, 48K. That is assuming the music you are listening to is available at the higher rate. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Might be worth a go, and you wouldn't lose much if you didn't like the TV 4K and sold it on.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Not sure why he would need to spend that money on a Powernode when there are cheaper stereo amps and / or receivers that would do, especially if he only wants to use his Apple devices.
Ok just a suggestion take it or leave it.

Edit Sorry meant to say node 2i not power. Weather that makes a difference to there situation is up to them

Last edited:

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice. So here’s a solid question.

What do you guys/ people use to get the best sound? Are you still playing cds? Or do you stream music/ download them? How do you play them on your hifi systems?

Thanks

record_spot

Thanks for all the good advice. So here’s a solid question.

What do you guys/ people use to get the best sound? Are you still playing cds? Or do you stream music/ download them? How do you play them on your hifi systems?

Thanks

I've gone from a legacy, traditional hifi setup to just a DAC and a pair of active speakers. Those in turn are fed by flac files from my phone, via the USB Audio Pro app. In the end, it's lossless files all the way and it sounds terrific. I also have a modded Thorens TD160 and Project Phono Box. Both approach work very well.

As to your posts, they seem pretty "all over the place", probably as you're befuddled by the plethora of options on the market.

I haven't read through to the end of the thread, but all I'd suggest is to work out the kind of sound that you like, and the functionality that you really need. I wouldn't be too hasty in ditching your current amp, around a decade ago, I opted for an AV amp in preference to a dedicated stereo amp and didn't regret it one bit (an Onkyo TX-NR818 and it was picked over an Exposure3010s, a Leema Pulse and a Harman HK990). Once I went down the active speakers route, I used the Onkyo as a preamp and maintained the amp's hi-res functionality (which stereo amps of the day, and many still even now, couldn't come close to offering).

Reactions: doifeellucky

Gray

And I keep reading that this is good

AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt​

?????
If you must have such a small headphone amp, it would be OK.
Depends on your actual requirement (combined or separate DAC and HPAmp) as to whether you could get something at least as good for less money.

As for the best sound, most people here will probably tell you that it comes from 2-channel separates / decent passive or active speakers.
They use vinyl, CD, streamers, sometimes all 3.
....and they'd tell you not to bother too much about hi-res quality as 16 bit, 44.1 kHz is enough.

Whatever you buy, put it in an acoustically unfriendly room and you've wasted money*
(You might be surprised how many people do just that).

Say what you fancy, we'll happily spend your money for you (y)

*Unless you go for a headphone-only setup as one member here has done.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

anirym

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Gray, thanks for that input. You make a lot of sense, to me at least. I think, like a lot of things in life, I tend to focus too much of the small things that might not even mater much. Like one other guy said, I'm not a dog nor a bat, and I might never hear the difference.

So here it is in a nutshell. I most likely never will get a full serround system, I will stay with my stereo spekaers, and want a sub. But a full 5.1 or 7.1/2 will never happen.
The reason I went with the Denon AVR was for the HDMI in/out and for the sub in. It seems like pre-amps from Denon don't have any of those options.
I could maybe get the sound out from the TV with coax or even digital, but will that give me good enough sound? Considering I will never really have more than stereo, so I guess coax/ digital out from TV might work????
Sorry for keeping asking all those things...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts