HI-FI / Wi-FI home setup HELP!

Anothersimon

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I hope someone can help me in what's becoming more and confusing the more I ask questions about it.

I'm after a setup that I can play my collection of vinyl through (Mainly Jazz/Funk/House) and have the occassional mix with both decks should I want. My wife would like a neat setup with minimal cables and preferably speakers in other rooms. My budget is around £1500 max.

I've had a look at BOSE, as these look the neatest, but what are the series V like for listening to Vinyl through? I like the idea that the BOSE can also have additional Wi-Fi speakers added. Or do I just go old school Hi-Fi and add a SONOS audio converter? I want it to be as simple as possible but also as neat with a great sound whether it's from an ipod or listening to a 12"

Any help hugely appreciated

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Anothersimon said:
Hello,

I hope someone can help me in what's becoming more and confusing the more I ask questions about it.

I'm after a setup that I can play my collection of vinyl through (Mainly Jazz/Funk/House) and have the occassional mix with both decks should I want. My wife would like a neat setup with minimal cables and preferably speakers in other rooms. My budget is around £1500 max.

I've had a look at BOSE, as these look the neatest, but what are the series V like for listening to Vinyl through? I like the idea that the BOSE can also have additional Wi-Fi speakers added. Or do I just go old school Hi-Fi and add a SONOS audio converter? I want it to be as simple as possible but also as neat with a great sound whether it's from an ipod or listening to a 12"

Thanks

None of what you are asking is remotely difficult to achieve, except for the fact that you are trying to combine different technologies into a 'simple' setup.

My suggestion would be this, a Sonos Play for your main setup driving amp and speakers of your choice, a simple twin deck mixer for your record players feeding into the 'Local' input on the Sonos Play.

As many Sonos Play or Amp or speaker combinations as you wish around the house.

Not absolutely perfect, but gives you most of what you want.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Anothersimon said:
Hello,

I've had a look at BOSE, as these look the neatest, but what are the series V  like for listening to Vinyl through? I like the idea that the BOSE can also have additional Wi-Fi speakers added. Or do I just go old school Hi-Fi and add a SONOS audio converter? I want it to be as simple as possible but also as neat with a great sound whether it's from an ipod or listening to a 12"

Thanks

None of what you are asking is remotely difficult to achieve, except for the fact that you are trying to combine different technologies into a 'simple' setup.

My suggestion would be this, a Sonos Play for your main setup driving amp and speakers of your choice, a simple twin deck mixer for your record players feeding into the 'Local' input on the Sonos Play.

You mean a Sonos Connect? Only the Play:5 has a line-in (of the Play range, the Connect and Connect:Amp also have a line-in) but if you're putting it in the same room as a traditional setup you won't want the speakers in the play:5.

Bear in mind though the line-in has a minimum delay of 70ms which can making cueing up the next track during mixing very awkward.

The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
Anothersimon said:
Hello,

Thanks

You mean a Sonos Connect? Only the Play:5 has a line-in (of the Play range, the Connect and Connect:Amp also have a line-in) but if you're putting it in the same room as a traditional setup you won't want the speakers in the play:5.

Bear in mind though the line-in has a minimum delay of 70ms which can making cueing up the next track during mixing very awkward.

If it's just a line-in will he not need a phono preamp of some sort?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
Anothersimon said:
Hello,

I've had a look at BOSE, as these look the neatest, but what are the series V  like for listening to Vinyl through? I like the idea that the BOSE can also have additional Wi-Fi speakers added. Or do I just go old school Hi-Fi and add a SONOS audio converter? I want it to be as simple as possible but also as neat with a great sound whether it's from an ipod or listening to a 12"

Thanks

If it's just a line-in will he not need a phono preamp of some sort?

Yes but he hasn't mentioned which TTs he has and I assumed when he mentioned mixing that he'd have a mixer that would include a phono stage if required. That's an assumption on my part though, I've no idea.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Bit of a brain fade.

The delay should be of no consequence if you use a mixer as suggested I assume you will be cuing on headphones anyway.

If you want to combine mixing with hi-fi and multiroom in one system you will have to think pretty carefully, you are unlikely to get everything you want to work seemlessly in one setup.

If you are going to 'mix', you have to use a mixer which you probably have anyway, the rest of the setup is easy, pick an amp/speaker combo for your main room, whatever you want and as many Sonos Connect/play units as you want.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
With a mixer he can go directly to a power amp for the speakers. For example NAD C272 + BOSE 901 Series V. That should put out some decent SPL in the room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts