HI-FI UPGRADE WHAT HI-FI TEAM

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,,What hifi team. I'v been looking to replace my current system for a while now. I'v spent nearly 7 months looking at various systems and brands and finally i'v managed to narrow down my choice. I'm looking for a cd player,amp,standmount speakers with stands. I would very much appreciate if you can name your first choice in order from 1to3 as a system from the list below: CD PLAYERS: Cyrus cd8x/DACX/PSX-R £2500 Leema antila £2500 Copland CDA 823 £2100 Resolution audio opus 21 £2850 AMPS: Leema tucana £3000 Krell kav 400xi £2498 AVI laboratory series £1500 SPEAKERS: B&W 805S £1600 Wilson square ones £1500 finally would you answer my last two questions please regarding the amp test you done in the November 07 issue. You mentioned that the old Primare amp sounded better then the new Primare I31. Im just curious to know how would the AVI LSI amp fare against the old Primare I30. Lastly regarding the award-winning Leema antila is it or any other cd players i listed comparable to the Resolution audio opus 21?. Thank you very much for your time.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Happy to help, but your list is all of excellent kit, from which you could build an amazing system - the differences between your options could be as much to do with your individual tastes as anything else. I presume you've heard all the kit in action? If not, I urge you to do so.

There's also the issue that not all of these systems would mix-and-match as well as others.

If it was my money, i'd pair the Leema amp and player with the Wilson Benesch speakers and some really decent stands- it's a combination of excellent new kit using fresh thinking to create a system that'll cope with anything you throw at it. Power, pace, refinement - it's got it all.

[quote user="burhan"]

finally would you answer my last two questions please regarding the amp test you done in the November 07 issue.
You mentioned that the old Primare amp sounded better then the new Primare I31.
Im just curious to know how would the AVI LSI amp fare against the old Primare I30.

[/quote]

The old I30 was our Award winner in its price class - beating the AVI LSI, which was the winner in that class the previous year.

[quote user="burhan"]

Lastly regarding the award-winning Leema antila is it or any other cd players i listed comparable to the Resolution audio opus 21?.

Thank you very much for your time.[/quote]

The Resolution Audio is excellent, but in our opinion the new Leema Antila is the best in this price class - CD may be 25 years old, but there are still innovations in CD player design, and the Antila is an excellent example of this.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]If you're going to spend that much money then the dealers would bite your hand off to give you a demo[/quote]

Or at least should, if they know what's good for them...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Opus 21 sound is a bit like marmite! and build quality is not justify the price tag so demo before buy. Leema cd player sound great but also have a listen to Rega Saturn (half Leema price but certainly not half preformance).

Krell does it for me as a amp (many discount price about too) as for speakers the 805s still have a lot to offer if you go down Krell route.

A

Anonymous

Hello,Thaiman.
Thanks for your suggestion's.

I have already tried the Krell,Copland 823,Wilson square ones and they sounded really good,but i prefer the Leema amp+ cd or the Copland 823 with the sq one speakers,but i will definitely try B&W 805s with the Krell.
I think it will sound great.

But so far i haven't been able to demo them because no dealers in London seem to have them together.
I guess i have to borrow from one shop to another.

Anyway i am slightly concerned about the Krell's RCA analogue output in that configuration the sound seems significantly thin and quite compared to the XLR balanced output,did you or anyone else experience anything similar?.
Finally regarding Rega saturn and Cyrus cd8x which do you prefer?.

A

Anonymous

Burhan,

Try demo Electrocompaniet ECI-3 and matching CD-player if You like. Valve like sound. Very nice finish and alien design.

A

Anonymous

Hello,
Your right Clare i'v heard most of them except Krell with the B&W 805s which i hope, i will soon.
I tried the Krell with the Copland (balanced XLR connection)+Wilson Sq ones, it sounded more exciting but slightly bright.
It didn't get me emotionally involved like the Leema amp did.

Do you think i can get a warmer sound from B&W/Krell/ combi?.
Also when i connected my Cyrus cd8x to the Krell's RCA output there was a significant drop in volume and sounded thin, do you know why?.

I also tried the AVI LSI amp against Primare I30,Niam supernait,Musical fidelity A5,Sugden with ATC 11,Monitor audio GS10,B&W 805s,Proac 110 and every time in my opinion the AVI (especially when matched with B&W 805s and ATC 11) sounded better,the Primare sounded too soft and the dealers agreed with me.
I still believe the Primare would had fared better with more matching products.

Regarding the Cyrus cd8x,dacx,psx-r,Copland 823,which does your team prefer?.

Lastly in your teams opinion which is the best sounding amp you ever heard for £3000.
Thank you for your time. Bye

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Classe in question has spend a record time on my rack. To make the Krell and Classe sound warm you will need either Sonus Faber cremona Auditor or Dynaudio contour 1.8 Mk2. I sold the Classe in the end because it was a bit bright! (but very transparant)

A

Anonymous

Hello, Your right Clare i'v heard most of them except Krell with the B&W 805s which i hope, i will soon. I tried the Krell with the Copland (balanced XLR connection)+Wilson Sq ones, it sounded more exciting but slightly bright. It didn't get me emotionally involved like the Leema amp did. Do you think i can get a warmer sound from B&W/Krell/ combi?. Also when i connected my Cyrus cd8x to the Krell's RCA output there was a significant drop in volume and sounded thin, do you know why?. I also tried the AVI LSI amp against Primare I30,Niam supernait,Musical fidelity A5,Sugden with ATC 11,Monitor audio GS10,B&W 805s,Proac 110 and every time in my opinion the AVI (especially when matched with B&W 805s and ATC 11) sounded better,the Primare sounded too soft and the dealers agreed with me. I still believe the Primare would had fared better with more matching products. Regarding the Cyrus cd8x,dacx,psx-r,Copland 823,which does your team prefer?. Lastly in your teams opinion which is the best sounding amp you ever heard for £3000. Thank you for your time. Bye

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
hey cyberbob...i know what you mean about ECI-3 as ive been listening to it with the 805s although i prefer the next step up the ECI-5 using balanced connections...

A

Anonymous

For speakers I'd give the Monitor Audio Gold Signature 10's a listen... and the Platinum 100's too.

That platium range, on paper, looks to be awesome. I haven't heard them yet but I wanna!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts