Hi-Fi tuning extreme fuses, any thoughts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

sogophonio11 said:
Oh dear! Another obtuse individual. No difference/ dont believe, etc ,etc! And your qualification to speak sir? Mains considerations most definitely do make a profound difference, and affect (Not effect) The overall performance of an audio system.

My qualification(S) to speak sir? Well not in any particular order of importance:

1) Over fourty years in the industry.

2) More than fourty years as an enthusiast

3) B.Tech(Bachelor of technology) Electrical engineering

4) Bsc(Hons) Sound engineering (Southampton)

May i be so bold as to suggest? Know what you are talking about before trying to give advice here! People who post on this (And other forums) Mostly know there subject. And are true enthusiasts, who only want to help where they can!

If you really had those qualifications you would, or at least should, know bettter. But I'll play. Kindly explain in technical terms how anything on the mains can affect the performance of, say, an amplifier..

iceman16

Ok..first impression was that the HFT supreme fuse really makes a difference to the sound compare to the stock fuse BUT not in a way I like it. Yes it's definitely more detailed and bass really tighten up and more vibrant if its the right word. But the overall presentation became a bit "dry" and loss fluidity and naturalness . Swapped these fuses several times and I heard same results. Its like the fuse version of Black Ravioli isolation pad when I used under the cdp. This will be sent back to the dealer for full refund NOT for the reason I did'nt hear a difference but for the sound which I did'nt like.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
This will be sent back to the dealer for full refund NOT for the reason I did'nt hear a difference but for the sound which I did'nt like.

I wonder what happened to the expectation bias / placebo effect? ;)

iceman16

To be fair Cno..these fuses got some great reviews on the net and many are happy with them. But IMHO thats not the case, these may be system dependent and subjective to the listener. Unfortunately they did'nt work for me and I won't use them even if they will give to me for free;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Expectation bias is believing there will be a difference. Therefore, criteria met.

IMO. The expectation (if there even was one), was likely to be that the sound would be improved, otherwise what was the point......so criteria not met.

Placebo should have made it sound better, as it was expensive (for a fuse).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
To be fair Cno..these fuses got some great reviews on the net and many are happy with them. But IMHO thats not the case, these may be system dependent and subjective to the listener. Unfortunately they did'nt work for me and I won't use them even if they will give to me for free;)

It was a facetious remark.........I believe that we are perfectly able to assess the effect of something like this. I reject far more than I go with, yet when I do go with something, I'm told that it's all in my head (apparently not the case when I reject it).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Expectation bias is believing there will be a difference. Therefore, criteria met.

IMO. The expectation (if there even was one), was likely to be that the sound would be improved, otherwise what was the point......so criteria not met.

Placebo should have made it sound better, as it was expensive (for a fuse).

No, it is as I said. The expectation is believing there is a difference. Whether the difference is good or bad doesn't come into it. Plenty of info on the internet if you want to check.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
No, it is as I said. The expectation is believing there is a difference. Whether the difference is good or bad doesn't come into it. Plenty of info on the internet if you want to check.

Surely it's when there is a bias towards a result that is expected by the person experimenting......so if that expectation is an improvement in sound, then that's what it is (in that particular case).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Cno, not being harsh, but I think that's called denial. You win some, you lose some, that's life. Luckily in Oz we don't have fuses like here, so it doesn't come into it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Cno, not being harsh, but I think that's called denial. You win some, you lose some, that's life. Luckily in Oz we don't have fuses like here, so it doesn't come into it.

I'm not arguing about fuses, but definitions.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts