Hi-Fi System or iPod Dock at Low-End Price Range...?

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear WhatHiFiers,

Please could you give me some advice on what's more well-regarded: a lower-end hi-fi system such as the Denon D-M39DAB or a lower-end iPod dock such like one of the Bose soundstations?

My price range is around 200 pounds (250 euros/300 dollars?), and I'm not sure whether docks or hi-fi sound better. I know audiophiles would favour a decent hi-fi system over a showy 5.1 set of computer speakers etc, but I'm not sure whether hi-fi still wins out at this low price range....

I'm not bothered about CD, radio, accessories, streaming or anything, just pure sound. Not bassy living-room sound but quality sound, and any advice on whether a iPod dock or hi-fi system is more likely to provide that at this price range would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Zac

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
zac92 said:
Dear WhatHiFiers,

Please could you give me some advice on what's more well-regarded: a lower-end hi-fi system such as the Denon D-M39DAB or a lower-end iPod dock such like one of the Bose soundstations?

My price range is around 200 pounds (250 euros/300 dollars?), and I'm not sure whether docks or hi-fi sound better. I know audiophiles would favour a decent hi-fi system over a showy 5.1 set of computer speakers etc, but I'm not sure whether hi-fi still wins out at this low price range....

I'm not bothered about CD, radio, accessories, streaming or anything, just pure sound. Not bassy living-room sound but quality sound, and any advice on whether a iPod dock or hi-fi system is more likely to provide that at this price range would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Zac

There is a simple solution that will blow any all in one dock or cheap mini system out of sight.

I assume you have an iPod, so for starters a pair of inexpensive active monitors from a music/pro audio dealer, whether local or on line would do the trick, a decent dock or add on dac can be added later, even an AEX if you like.

Depending where you are based, I can point you at a few examples if you are in the UK or mainland Europe.

A reasonable alternative would be the AudioEngine A2, which is a powered design (not fully active), a 'lifestyle' product perhaps but a fairly decent one for the money, about £160 in the UK.

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

BigH, those do look like they could do the trick....good-quality stereo sound in a simple and not-too-expensive package...good tip, thanks!

BenLaw...regarding the Bose sound docks: they're very nice to listen to, I must say. But I think it's fair to say they're more for 'dinner party listening'...warm, a bit too bassy, no real detail in the mids, no sense of stereo...the kind of thing that's perfect for listening to James Morrisson or Snow Patrol in the background on.

And DaveDotCo, when you say active monitors do you mean the kind of thing that BigH recommended?

Thanks!

Zac

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

BigH, those do look like they could do the trick....good-quality stereo sound in a simple and not-too-expensive package...good tip, thanks!

BenLaw...regarding the Bose sound docks: they're very nice to listen to, I must say. But I think it's fair to say they're more for 'dinner party listening'...warm, a bit too bassy, no real detail in the mids, no sense of stereo...the kind of thing that's perfect for listening to James Morrisson or Snow Patrol in the background on.

And DaveDotCo, when you say active monitors do you mean the kind of thing that BigH recommended?

Thanks!

Zac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Note the Epoz is not active it is powered. Yes active speakers are also worth looking at.

My experience with Bose is the wave radio which IMO is very overpriced and I heard similar tales of other Bose products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
zac92 said:
Thanks everyone!

Thanks!

Zac

Powered speakers are conventional hi-fi speakers with 'normal' passive crossovers but with the amplifiers built in, usually in one speaker in a 'master/slave' configuration. The better examples at this price point being the Epoz Actimate Mini or the AudioEngine A2.

Thay are usually packaged as a 'complete', all in one (two actually) solution, a lifestyle system if you like.

Active speakers are usually self contained units comprising electronic crossover, 2 (or more) power amplifiers all fitted into the speaker. They originated as recording monitors and were pretty expensive but the popularity of the home 'project' studio means that they have become less and less expensive with some of the better models making excellent playback systems for iPods or other hi-fi sources.

Still not sure where in the world you are based, so I would suggest you take a look at Behringer, a global company whose entry level active speakers the B1030A boasts 50watts to the bass driver, 25watts to the tweeter and sell in the UK for less than £200.

B1030A_P0A0X_Left-Perspective_XL.png

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
zac92, it's worth bearing in mind that active speakers will require two power supplies, whereas powered will require just one. Both examples connect one speaker to the other in a majority of cases, there are more expensive, wireless options. If using an iPod or similar you might consider something with Airplay.

Try searching for the thread titled 'Powered speakers club' for more ideas.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
zac92, it's worth bearing in mind that active speakers will require two power supplies, whereas powered will require just one. Both examples connect one speaker to the other in a majority of cases, there are more expensive, wireless options. If using an iPod or similar you might consider something with Airplay.

Try searching for the thread titled 'Powered speakers club' for more ideas.

No it is not. The power supplies reflect the power of the system, nothing more. Two mains leads sure, but that is all. Generally the lack of a passive crossover in the active speaker means that the amplifier wastes less power, so if anything an active design is likely to be more energy efficient.

Most active speakers do not need to be connected together, they are usually fully independent. Some models use a link to match level controls and a very few with onboard dacs share digital information but that is rare.

I use a pair of tiny active monitors and an AEX as a desktop system, cost well under £200 and works really very nicely indeed. The Behringer speakers I mention above are 'proper' stand mount models and will fill an average roon, no problem.

They can be driven directly off the headphone out of the iPod, via a simple dock, a more flexible dock such as the Pure i20 or via an airport express, plenty of options.

Depending where you are in the world there are a good number of other options, check out these sites for an idea of what is available in europe, both established, reputable companies that will ship to most places world wide.

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors?sort=onhand&parentCategoryRef=heastudiomonitors&order=desc&q=*

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, calm down. Power leads then. Still, it will require two. In the living room that can be a real issue worth considering.

I wasn't aware that active speakers didn't need to be connected (in that example, must both be connected to the source?) as I've only owned Audiopro in the past, which communicated wirelessly.

I was simply trying to make the point that you still need to connect each speaker either to the source or one another - so in respect of connecting everything together that doesn't really change much between passive and active setups.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Okay, calm down. Power leads then. Still, it will require two. In the living room that can be a real issue worth considering.

I wasn't aware that active speakers didn't need to be connected (in that example, must both be connected to the source?) as I've only owned Audiopro in the past, which communicated wirelessly.

I was simply trying to make the point that you still need to connect each speaker either to the source or one another - so in respect of connecting everything together that doesn't really change much between passive and active setups.

I was only making the point because it aids identification, the terms 'powered' and 'active' are often used indiscriminately by manufacturers who should know better. A full explanation of the differences between active an powered speakers can be found elsewhere on this site.

Most active systems derive from a studio background, the home studio in the case of less expensive models. They tend to be individual, self contained speakers that can be bought singley and used in any configuration. Some of the smaller cheaper models are packaged in pairs for economic reasons.

Powered systems are usually referred to as 'multimedia' speakers in what is often referred to as the 'prosumer' sector and are, in essence similar to the Epoz and Audioengine products mentioned above. These are generally configured in a master/slave configuration with a two channel amplifier and some basic pre-amp functions, often no more than a volume control, in the master. The slave is often linked to the master with a length of regular speaker cable, with the speakers themselves generally being conventional passive designs.

Whilst the vast majority of speakers of these types fit the above descriptions there are exceptions, the AVI ADM9 is a fully active designe but configured in a master/slave configuration, pretty rare and a small number of didigital active monitors have to be directly linked so that they can share digital data.

Back to the OP, there are a fair number of inexpensive powered systems available from the hi-fi, computer and prosumer markets, but as far as I know there are no active hi-fi designs available anywhere near this price point, a couble of one box systems excepted. Full active studio monitors are available under £200 and represent the extreme entry level for speakers of this type. The Behringer shown above is from a big, well known brand and available pretty much world wide, it is excellent value for money but there may be better value available depending on your local marketplace.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Whilst the vast majority of speakers of these types fit the above descriptions there are exceptions, the AVI ADM9 is a fully active designe but configured in a master/slave configuration, pretty rare...

Not in terms of power amplification. Each ADM9 cabinet contains it's own power amplifiers, electronic crossover circuits and power supply. The 'master' /' slave' thing only relates to the pre-amp and DAC and remote control functions. (Which makes sense.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
Whilst the vast majority of speakers of these types fit the above descriptions there are exceptions, the AVI ADM9 is a fully active designe but configured in a master/slave configuration, pretty rare...

Not in terms of power amplification. Each ADM9 cabinet contains it's own power amplifiers, electronic crossover circuits and power supply. The 'master' /' slave' thing only relates to the pre-amp and DAC and remote control functions. (Which makes sense.)

Quite right, I should probably have been clearer. AVI themselves describe them as master and slave though of course they configured exactly as you say.

I did not want to get too deeply into AVI product for, I think, obvious reasons..... 8)

But since you raised the issue, their latest project, the soon to be released DM5 is a complete stand alone device, ie just a single input but just to make life interesting they are only going to be available in pairs, for the time being at least.

Fantastic, ground breaking product at a very reasonable £699. Not that anyone has actually heard them of course....... ;)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Ground breaking product?? Come on, it's anything but. I thought you knew something about pro speakers! Any pro monitor is more flexible than the under-specified AVI ones.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Ground breaking product?? Come on, it's anything but. I thought you knew something about pro speakers! Any pro monitor is more flexible than the under-specified AVI ones.

:poke:

Too easy.......... :rofl:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
ddc, you should remember people come here to get information, not to allow those game-players amongst us to score meaningless points. You made an incorrect statement that would mislead. How clever is that?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
ddc, you should remember people come here to get information, not to allow those game-players amongst us to score meaningless points. You made an incorrect statement that would mislead. How clever is that?

Firstly you might like to read my post and tell me exactly what i said that was incorrect........ :?

Did i get the discription wrong? After all it is a stand alone active speaker with a single input, no level control or anything.

Did I get the price wrong? It is £699 on the website, a little more for premium finishes, but that is hardly unusual.

And it is a ground breaking product, don't agree, perhaps you would like to list all the sub £1000, self contained active speakers aimed squarely at the hi-fi market?

As far as I can tell the information is totally accurate, how can that be at all misleading?

Of course there are loads of sub £1000, stand alone pro-monitors but as you insist on telling us they are not really suitable for hi-fi playback, I would have though that a genuine attempt at an inexpensive active hi-fi speaker would have been of interest, not to the OP perhaps, but in the general gist of the thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts