hi-fi from scratch

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I haven't had a proper hifi set up for years and tend to rely on ipod docks and my imac, but want to set up a proper sound system again, including turntable.

What would you recommend, assuming £1000 or so for the whole lot?

matthewpiano

Try auditioning this as a starting point

Rega RP1 Performance Turntable £300

Marantz CD6004 CD Player £300

Marantz PM6004 Amplifier £300

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers £179

To be fair, you'll probably be able to get the Marantz units for slightly less than £300 a piece. If you would prefer floorstanding speakers try the Zensor 5s, although these will take you above budget.

You could also consider a system based around active speakers from the likes of Adam or AVI.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips matthewpiano. I'll check these units out. Maybe this is a daft question, but how straightforward is it to patch in other sources of music (e.g. over wifi) into something like this?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
How much vinyl, CDs, MP3/digital files do you already have? Do you want to get the best out of your existing music formats and/or want to get into vinyl? I'm not sure you should try to do it all in one go or you could end up with a random collection of average components. Having said that, the previous suggestions are pretty good. Perhaps you could build up a system around the turntable as source - with good phono stage/amp/speakers, or alernatively go for a good DAC/amp/speaker combination to use with your iMac and iPod, then add the turntable at a later date if you feel the urge.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Oddjob10 said:
Thanks for the tips matthewpiano. I'll check these units out. Maybe this is a daft question, but how straightforward is it to patch in other sources of music (e.g. over wifi) into something like this?

You can easily stream music to any system over wifi provided you have all your music on itunes. This can be done by purchasing an airport express 60 pounds.....cheap!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Try auditioning this as a starting point

Rega RP1 Performance Turntable £300

Marantz CD6004 CD Player £300

Marantz PM6004 Amplifier £300

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers £179

To be fair, you'll probably be able to get the Marantz units for slightly less than £300 a piece. If you would prefer floorstanding speakers try the Zensor 5s, although these will take you above budget.

You could also consider a system based around active speakers from the likes of Adam or AVI.

Thin Matthew got it pretty spot on, if you don't have many cds I would replace the cd player with a dac magic (220 pounds) and use your pc instead. Also, if you are building your system from scratch and have a limited budget then you should consider your priorities. You should ideally decide whether you want to use your cd player or turntable or dac as your primary music source....you should then spend accordingly, allocating more money on your primary source, amplifier and speakers. If you only use your second source on occasion, it doesn't make sense to spend nearly as much when you have a limited budget.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments, people. Only just getting back to this after sorting out some other bigger spending (car etc).

Anyway, I've got a few hundred CDs, though more or less all also ripped onto the Mac. Sounds like the Dacmagic might be a good way to go for the main input - from your comments, it sounds like I could patch wirelessly into that using Airport Express - or would that be counterproductive in terms of sounds quality. That said, I am also keen to get a few more things on vinyl and to get the most out of the few LPs I have, so will definitely be getting a turntable too.

I'm thinking about going into the nearest Richer Sounds and seeing if they have the various units suggested, or perhaps getting something similar if there are any bargains.

A final thought - is it worth considering using any (very) old units, like an old solid state amp that I have lying around somewhere, or better just to to start over?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It really depends on what you have already. The solutions are almost limitless as far as choices go. You already have a very good streaming solution in the Mac and iPod. As has been suggested, an Airport Express or ATV would be the hub for wireless streaming and also give you access to other music and video services.

Given your budget and depending on your preferred type of set up (lots of boxes vs few), I'd first focus on speakers and TT.

Spend the minimum to get a respectable TT, allocate up to £100 for the ATV/AEX and the rest on the speakers. You could maximise budget by buying used through various used hifi dealers, or even auction sites, as long as you can try before buying. Depends on how confident you are with the likes of the bay though.

Your existing amp may well be fine for the interim, until you can save for a better model, if needed. At least you already have an amp.

I wouldn't say that the DACmagic is overkill, but it will eat up a large portion of your budget for not so much gain, compared to spending the extra on speakers. Speakers will give you the mose diversity in quality of sound presentation and I would give these budget priority, once other needs are met to the minimum.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
How about Avi adm9t?

I’ve not heard them myself but they have many happy users, have everything in one neat package. A lot of active speaker users never look back. If I was in the market for a second system these would be high on my list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts