Hi-Fi & Family Life?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Craig M. said:
a fan in her bedroom means the ambient noise level is quite high in there

uk-football-fan-m1.jpg

SteveR750

It wasn't my kids, but my ex wife that refused to allow the hi fi to be in the lounge, so itwas relegated to the dining room, no listening chair, just the table and a dresser between the speakers, on of which was in the corner and double as a plant stand. I knew it was never going to last.

My sons are now 16 and 15, and have a musical taste that is similar in some ways, and different in others; however, they both worship at the altar of the mighty DC. That much I did insist on when raising them.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Volumes when baby's sleeping: when baby's tired baby will sleep. Baby doesn't mind music in the same way that baby doesn't mind car engine and tyre noise when he sleeps in the car.

I moved to very heavy squat speakers that toddlers and young children can run into at full speed without knocking them over. Keep the grills on, or use horns that they can't poke-in with their fingers. I also bought them with pre-chipped cabinets so a few more bumps and scrapes hasn't made any difference.

TT stayed in the corner where children wouldn't normally go. Keep explaining to them what they can and can't touch till they get the idea.

Valve amps? Not a problem. Just keep them out the way a bit. I don't worry about them touching them in the same way that I don't worry about them touching radiators or lamp light bulbs.

If you're struggling to provide rooms for everyone to do their thing in, you can always buy a bigger house. No need to stay in a small house if you don't want to. There are dilapidated 10 bedroomed mansions that can be bought for the same price as a modern 4 bedroomed detached.

Keep general volumes below 80dbs to avoid any risk of damaging their hearing. This will still allow you to listen at generous volumes. Buy or borrow a sound pressure level meter if you don't know how loud 80dbs is.

All normal kids will have accidents. All normal kids will break some things around the house. It's a normal part of growing up.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for all your input. I think there are some good general principles here, as well as some specific suggestions.

What's really encouraging is the news that others have succeeded to intergrate everything happily enough.

We started out with the 'keep a loud house' approach, a fine principle indeed. However, six months down the line and with a little one that still doesn't sleep for too many hours on end, tiredness and mild desperation are pushing us slowly towards the 'whatever you do, don't wake it' school!

Ideally I guess hi-fi in the lounge is a keeper, and also get some other bits of kit to dot around the house for flexibility. How to do all this on the shoestring that has arisen from funds being redirected in to babydclothes and high chairs is a different matter! I like the sonos system, but obviously you've got to be able to afford multiple units before it really comes in to its own. that's where I thought the rCube might come in to its own, kind of like a Sonos unit that you could easily move from room to room.

As an aside, I also think that with all these kinds of docks and multiroom units, there is sometimes an issue over control. Although good old fashioned remotes, CDs, and buttons etc are now out of fashion, sometimes it's nice to just press a button and have some sound come out, without having to reach for a laptop interface or recharge a smartphone. When I think about having Sonos in the bedroom, I think about how much I don't like the idea of fumbling around on a touch screen on an iPhone to get the radio on at 6am. My old, now broken micro might have been tragically out of date, but at least you could just hit one button to get sound first thing in the morning... and of course, AA batteries in an IR remote lasted forever, saving hastle and promoting ease of access.

Cheers anyway.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Logitech's Squeezebox Radio may be worth a look. You'll need their server software running somewhere to play your own music but Internet radio & streaming services like Spotify Premium are available straight through your router. It's not HiFi but it's still pretty decent sounding. There's a battery available an an option if you need that but it's a bit pricey for what it is as it comes with a small IR remote.

There are currently blemished box versions available in red for £90 & one of the cashback sites should knock another 5% off (eventually!).

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I once read a post on a forum where the parents used to play music/movies when the baby was asleep from day one. Starting off quietly, and gradually progressing to normal decent volume levels including a big sub :grin: The baby just got used to it and wasn't bothered by the sound.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree with this. I only get to listen in evening and can play as loud as neighbours would probably accept before waking my 2 year old son. We do keep a monitor on still however in case.

My current compromise is speakers on oak sideboard. However, recently borrowed some speaker stands so if I fancy a proper listen I can quickly bring stands down and move speakers. Although the sideboard option is pretty good, the soundstage and imaging are mostly missing and being closer to walls can only go up so loud. On the stands they really really sing :bounce:

I might get around to posting my setup so you can see!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Another thing to consider is actually having something playing in the baby's room that will mask what's going on downstairs. Maybe one of those relaxation CDs with waves on a shoreline? That should sound a little like white noise so may be an effective mask.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My son won't sleep if he knows there's some fun going on downstairs that he's missing out on.

So normally its easier to let him crash out downstairs with the music on and then carry him up to bed than to attempt to put him to bed before he's really tired.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
when my son was about 2 I was listening to a bit of yes Relayer I think and he walked up to the amp and turned it up to full volume it did nt half make him jump it was just like he had an electric shock no harm done he didnt even cry:rofl:

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Well we have 2 DAB radios, one in the kitchen which is on all the time as i chill their and one in the daughters room which we all listen to when we have baths and stuff and my daughter listens to it when she falls asleap. I can hear Florence and the Machine's second album playing as i type, she has good taste :)

My own hi-fi [you know the real one] only gets a look in at weekends these days, to be honest i could live without it but i enjoy it to much to part.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I have two young boys (18 months and a 3 year old) and two teenage step daughters. The only place i can put the hifi is in the front room. I do quite a lot of listening with headphones. I have closed back cans for when my missus and my step daughters are indulging in a double helping of Corrie and open back ones for when they all go off to bed. Using the full set up with speakers up is a bit of a juggling act and i listen when i can.

Something the OP pointed out about not isolating yourself from your family too often is also important to me. If i had my own listening room that could cause problems if i was in there all the time.

I'll try and play music that will appeal to everyone in the house, the Brand X and Sonny Rollins normally come out when the cans are on or the house is empty.

I have recently changed my amp and speakers and this has helped a lot with lower level listening, i dont really like it that loud anyway.

My Harbeth speakers are good for prying little fingers as the tweeters are protected and it is very difficult to get the covers off. The stands or not too high and are nice and sturdy.

Its all about compromise i suppose otherwise it just would'nt work

Cheers, Ed :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Twill said:
...However, six months down the line and with a little one that still doesn't sleep for too many hours on end, tiredness and mild desperation are pushing us slowly towards the 'whatever you do, don't wake it' school!

Ideally I guess hi-fi in the lounge is a keeper, and also get some other bits of kit to dot around the house for flexibility. How to do all this on the shoestring that has arisen from funds being redirected in to babydclothes and high chairs is a different matter!...

6 months? Sounds like baby teething time. Disrupted baby sleep patterns are more likely to be down to this than moderate noise in the house.

Also babies and young children love routine. If you play music at about the same volumes at about the same times each day they'll soon adapt and accept this as part of the household routine.

Charity shops (such as Oxfam) are great places for baby clothes. Ebay and Freecycle too, for job lots of baby stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts