hi end speakers that can be placed in cabinet??

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hi guys

I would welcome some advice on which speakers(regardless of sound,attributes...) can be placed in a custom made cabinet so that in the new house i ll have everything conceled and out of the way.m assuming it ll have to be either front ported or sealed speakers.please find attached a copy of plans(cabinet will be facing the couch).as i said it ll be custom made cabinet so i can make the enclosure to suit the speakers as needed. of course they will need to be complemented by a centre and rear speakers as i m integrating the ht and family room together but don t want to compromise in sound quality too much as i do listen to music almost everyday compared to a movie a week..

A

Anonymous

What's your budget? The first speakers that came to mind are ATC SCM7/11s, though ATC centre speakers are relatively pricey.

You may even get away with some Dynaudio DM 2/6s or 2/7s.

A

Anonymous

I missed the high end bit :) , so i guess the DMs are out. ATC may still suit though.

It would all depend on what you consider to be hi end. What's you budget. Cannot see mentioned attached plan but it would have have to be a very wide cabinet to do speakers any justice!
Don't see the point unless you plan to bring the speakers out of cabinet when you actual play anything. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to make the cabinet there are lots of options from the Custom Install market that may fit the bill. Have a look at the Tannoy Definition install range - the speaker is sealed and more importantly isolated from its frame so you should minimise vibration.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hi alears,

my wall is fairly big therefore the cabinet can also be.what m trying to achieve is more of a ht room look with all hardware and speakers either fully camouflage or flush but without sacrificing too much of sound quality.M after audiophile grade sound as i listen to music almost everyday where a movie a week if lucky.

I do know there is a bit of a compromise at some stage having flush or hidden speakers compared to free standing ones but m trying to get the best i can from set up.As such m also employing a cedia member to design the cabinet and sort out room accoustics.However, the company i ve choosen do not have any retail shop or sale specific gear and are happy for me to bring what ever i want or they can recommend..

sincerely yours

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi mate,

thanks for your reply and indeed did consider the atc.will do a whole lot of research on them.I actually rang the distributor here in sydney and he was as hopefull as a bag of nuts.....so almot not keen to get atc for that reason only.Well looks like it s up to rick from musicraft to do what he does best and advise me on the atc....:)

sincerely yours

Many thanks for that. I would therfore agree with previous posts regarding Tannoys and ATC speakers, generally any speaker that is in a sealed-box type configuration. Rear-ported speakers would only work if you have sufficient depth available behind them once they are 'installed', I think you'll get better sound ultimately from sealed-box types.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
stpierre76 said:
hi alears,

my wall is fairly big therefore the cabinet can also be.what m trying to achieve is more of a ht room look with all hardware and speakers either fully camouflage or flush but without sacrificing too much of sound quality.M after audiophile grade sound as i listen to music almost everyday where a movie a week if lucky.

I do know there is a bit of a compromise at some stage having flush or hidden speakers compared to free standing ones but m trying to get the best i can from set up.As such m also employing a cedia member to design the cabinet and sort out room accoustics.However, the company i ve choosen do not have any retail shop or sale specific gear and are happy for me to bring what ever i want or they can recommend..

sincerely yours
Why not try integrating flat panel speakers like the magnepans: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW. They come in white, too, and the sound is pretty special.

Less compromises than trying to hide speakers in a cabinet.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi nick,

thanks for your input.M actually quite glad you gave me your opinion as was indeed looking at the tannoy dc12i for LCR duties and lesser ones for rear.

I can t find much info on them though.Not many dealers stock them so auditioning them is quite hard.What s your opinion on them.M sure they are good for ht duties but how about hifi and music.

Before we decided to combine the ht room and family room together(although noit buy choice but more financial...), i was looking at the tannoy range for my family area which is fairly decent in size.As such i was considering either the dc10t, the glenair 15 or 10. so how do the dc12i compared to the glenair...

I love a big open sound with a massive soundstage and was hoping the tannoy could help me for that..

sincerely yours

john

A

Anonymous

stpierre76 said:
hi guys

please find attached a copy of plans(cabinet will be facing the couch).

No attachment here.

I suggest you go to Wilmslow Audio or DiyAudio and build your own speakers - rather pointless boxing some commercial ones in TBH. There are plenty of well proven designs around and DiyAudio will help you select and design one.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
stpierre76 said:
Hi nick,

thanks for your input.M actually quite glad you gave me your opinion as was indeed looking at the tannoy dc12i for LCR duties and lesser ones for rear.

I can t find much info on them though.Not many dealers stock them so auditioning them is quite hard.What s your opinion on them.M sure they are good for ht duties but how about hifi and music.

Before we decided to combine the ht room and family room together(although noit buy choice but more financial...), i was looking at the tannoy range for my family area which is fairly decent in size.As such i was considering either the dc10t, the glenair 15 or 10. so how do the dc12i compared to the glenair...

I love a big open sound with a massive soundstage and was hoping the tannoy could help me for that..

sincerely yours

john

The DC10T and Glenair's sound totally different to the Defintion Install range. Good as the installation speakers are they do not compete with this level. If you are considering something that will give you that sound then floorstanding speakers may be the best option - certainly if you wish to audtion. The Tannoy Def Install are very good, providing clean effortless sound and will suit for good hi-fi and superb cinema. With your priorities closer to stereo than home cinema it is unlikely that you will accomplish that with the inwalls but you will get close. A sub for each channel will help if you have space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts