Hi-end Headphones: some questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
idc:Your welcome and please do post back with your final thoughts.

I've had a week now with the new MF headphone amp, and I'm still slightly disappointed by the slight margins of improvement offered. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic - aren't they always, ultimately, with hi-fi?

Two things I've yet to try: 1) connecting the MF directly to my DAC and 2) upgrading my headphones.

Remembering my Luddite tendencies, is it simply the DAC's interconnects into the MF's line in instead of my A85? Secondly, what do folks think are the best two or three pairs of headphones below the Grado 1000's and the SennheiserHD800's, price/value wise?

A

Anonymous

I've heard mixed reviews of the MF. If it isn't working for you can you return it as it's inside the first 14 days?

Definitely worth testing a few other amps. The Lehmann is very well regarded, but there are a stack of other makes to consider. RCA, Headamp and Headroom to name but a few.

idc

All I would say now is google 'x can v8 appreciation', read throught the first result and try your 1) /2) above, then decide yourself if it is worth persevering or sending it back.
emotion-6.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just to add at this point that our review sample of the Sennheiser HD800s is finally on its way, and we plan to test them alongside the Grado GS1000i for our issue out in August....

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I've recently been on the hunt for a headphone amp and after reading reviews I thought my best bet was a Graham Slee Novo. Luckily my local dealer (Paul Green in Bath) stocked it so I drove over for a listen. They also stocked the Musical Fidelity X-CANV8P and Graham Slee Solo so I gave them all a listen, without knowing their prices. With my 'phones (Sennheiser HD560s) the Solo definitely sounded the best - although when I learnt the price I nearly changed my mind
emotion-3.gif

So far I'm really happy with the Solo and would defintely recommend it as worth a listen. Not sure if this helps or just further confuses matters?

Rob.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Just to add at this point that our review sample of the Sennheiser HD800s is finally on its way, and we plan to test them alongside the Grado GS1000i for our issue out in August....

I await with bated debit card!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
WinterRacer:
I've recently been on the hunt for a headphone amp and after reading reviews I thought my best bet was a Graham Slee Novo. Luckily my local dealer (Paul Green in Bath) stocked it so I drove over for a listen. They also stocked the Musical Fidelity X-CANV8P and Graham Slee Solo so I gave them all a listen, without knowing their prices. With my 'phones (Sennheiser HD560s) the Solo definitely sounded the best - although when I learnt the price I nearly changed my mind
emotion-3.gif

So far I'm really happy with the Solo and would defintely recommend it as worth a listen. Not sure if this helps or just further confuses matters?

Rob.

Confused, but thanks for the info.

Just checking the price differences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts