Hey, Big Spendor!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK, final update (I think). On the speaker front I reckon I have got it sorted. The Spendors are bedding in very nicely. The change of interconnects and speaker cables has had the required effect: the sound is now much, much better. Turning the volume up to 11 o'clock or even nudging 12 is not overpowering, but unleashes the clarity and overall weight and spaciousness that, given my limited experience, I believe will satisfy.

I tried the TDLs again, but the sound was suddenly lacking in all departments by comparison. Principally, the disappointing bass was back, emphasising the control of the Spendors, and adding to an overall impression of veiled sound.

True, much of the time I cannot listen to my music at volume, and also true is that I don't have perfect listening conditions anyway...so I don't think I should spend further on major components (but maybe some interconnect experiments might be interesting). However, based on my experience of listening to Spotify (see post in Computer-Based Music), I think I will be exploring that avenue more seriously before the year is out.

I turn a shade of green when I read the listening experiences of some of you, but I have to be realistic and recognise the limitations of our lifestyle. Time to ease off the hi-fi throttle for a while...

A

Anonymous

Great to hear that you're happy with the sound! Now the best bit, forgetting the kit and listening to music
emotion-1.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:
Time to ease off the hi-fi throttle for a while...

Easier said than done though don't you think!?

Great post - a lot of this sums up the way I feel about my own experiences. Cheers!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
lordmortlock:ESP2009:

Time to ease off the hi-fi throttle for a while...

Easier said than done though don't you think!? Great post - a lot of this sums up the way I feel about my own experiences. Cheers!

Thanks. You're right. It's always tempting and you find yourself thinking "what if I...?" especially if you spend too much time browsing the forums. Igglebert is also right, I need to spend more time actually enjoying the music rather than listening with an ear to further improvements. So it's time to relax for a while...
emotion-22.gif

progwardy

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the post - very useful. I too am thinking of taking a trip to the seaside!

Just got off the phone to them - very helpful as I only have experience of listening to 'classic' Spendors at a friends house (and was mightily impressed).

So if I go ahead that'll be at least two of us listening to the IQ boys
emotion-2.gif
through Spendors (what do you think of 'Frequency'?) Maybe I'll convert some South Coast boys and girls to neo-prog heaven!

Enjoy your listening.......

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
progwardy:

Thanks for the post - very useful. I too am thinking of taking a trip to the seaside!

Just got off the phone to them - very helpful as I only have experience of listening to 'classic' Spendors at a friends house (and was mightily impressed).

So if I go ahead that'll be at least two of us listening to the IQ boys
emotion-2.gif
through Spendors (what do you think of 'Frequency'?) Maybe I'll convert some South Coast boys and girls to neo-prog heaven!

Enjoy your listening.......

Crikey! Doesn't time fly? I am stoutly holding out against further temptation on the hi-fi front (although I can't help but wonder what the Spendors would sound like with other pieces of kit). As and when I get the chance I give them a listen at a decent notch and think I made a sound purchase. But did you, Progardy, invest? Are you enjoying your neo-prog through Spendors or did you follow an alternate route?

To be honest, I think I was slightly disappointed by the 'Frequency' album by IQ. Don't get me wrong: a perfectly fine example of the genre as a standalone CD, but lacking (to my ears at least) in any real development from their other 'recent' outings. I listened to it on Spotify and then rated at 4-stars on Amazon. I have now purchased the CD/DVD combo pack, which is well worth the extra outlay. Mind you, I've not had chance to try it out on the proper hi-fi...yet.

Cheers, ESP2009

TRENDING THREADS